At the movies - From the couch

I have never seen the original. Is it any good?

I had to read the book at highschool. Hated reading it, didn’t read the last 3 chapters. Watched the movie instead. Meh!
1979 adaptation was kinda ok. Ernest was good but my interest was too far gone.
I liked other German war movies.

Agree with the above.
Have you seen the original?

I remember there were frowns over the original when i was a kid but that was during Vietnam and All the Way with LBJ.

Not for a very long time & only because I didn’t complete the mandatory class reading.
Saw it on the old VHS. The recent adaptation of Death on the Nile, the 1st scene reminded me of it… alittle

1 Like

I watched it last night. I thought it was pretty good in all the ways you mention, but overall just didn’t quite hit the mark. I think the pacing wasn’t quite right; despite the length of the movie, it seemed like scenes were hurried. I wasn’t very impressed by the politically correct anachronisms either – the acceptance of Norton’s Tourette behaviour by everyone, and then the inter-racial romance. I watched it with Mrs Shelton and at one point I said to her, “This isn’t really all that good, but I’m quite enjoying it anyway,” and she said she felt exactly the same.

Enola holmes 2 was a easy watch. similar plot to the first movie.

I was a bit disappointed to be honest.

Visually stunning but I think they needed to develop the characters better so we cared more about them.

1 Like

2 Guns was awesome.

noonan dont bother commenting

2 Likes

Cannot wait for this

The 1979 version is on SBS right now.

Weird al movie.

So close yet so far.

Watched Get Out the other night.
I don’t know whether it was due to the lateness starting 0010 or if I’m starting to grow up but I thought it was meh. I was left with a sense of weirdness about it after the movie than usual that’s a good horror vibe.
Similar feelings that I had to Us.

Get out started well but turned to ■■■■ in the end. The whole brainwashing thing was stupid.

Yeah it’s like Bart Simpson had an idea & some rich guy rolled with it until it was too far out to comprehend. Maybe they should have stuck with the vampire/ saucer people/ zombies paradigm.

Hate it when movies do that

Nope was absolute rubbish.though it did have one amazing scene which I had never seen before in an alien movie

So Mrs Chilly and I settled onto the couch for Pizza and a movie last night. Flipped on Amazon and suddenly
BAM
It appears.
Looming from the dark mists of my youth, the 1986 Russell Mulcahy “blockbuster”…
Highlander!

We press play.
And suddenly, the innocence’s of my youth is slowly stripped away like the peeling of an onion.
Questions are asked internally, and by Mrs Chilly

• -Doubts about my “taste” in films begin to bubble to the surface
  • -Do multiple shots of windows blowing out in slow motion with a deafening roar constitute a plot
  • Why cast a Belgian actor as a Scottish Highlander, and a Scottish actor as a Egyptian by way of Spain
  • -why is Christopher Lamberts forehead so huge
  • -Gee the soundtrack was quite good, ( F Mercury and the boys in fine form indeed)
  • not quite the film I remember
  • who taught these dudes how to swordfight
  • does Russell think that using set pieces from a music video constitutes good direction

Then Mrs Chilly puts the metaphorical stake thru my heart, ( not even half way through the first fight scene)
" This movie is REALLY cheesy. Bad. How could you have liked it?"
Classic case of a great concept affected by poor execution.
We watched the rest of the film with the glum realization that some memories are meant to be just that-memories.

9 Likes

It would seriously be a great candidate for a remake with a good director and better SFX.