At the movies - From the couch

Kids don’t care. The first movie came out almost 50 years ago. Everything can change, people just need to move on I think. If you only associate Indiana with ford, just watch the old ones, simple

Kids might not. But adults won’t want a bar of it. And that’s where they will lose the money. Similar to the Han Solo movie.

Han Solo movie didn’t do well because it was incredibly poorly marketed as a nostalgia trip specifically for the older generation. Kids who watch Star Wars would have seen Han Solo as a 70 year old dude in the most recent trilogy and would have had little to no interest in going to see a movie on that old boring dude in Star Wars. It was destined to fail. They could have done a spin off on BB8 and it would have sold like hot cakes.

Rogue One did well because it was more or less a stand alone movie that new viewers could watch without any prior knowledge but was even cooler for those with an attachment to or knowledge of the original trilogy.

I guess my point is pandering to the older audience attached to a franchise that is nearly 50 years old by refusing to cast new people or introduce new characters is not a good move. Wouldn’t be surprised if the Indy movie suffers at the box office as a result. Chuck in one of the Hemsworths or Pratt or even the dopey dude who played Kylo Ren as Indiana Jones and you get the attention of a whole new audience. I also cast my mind to the James Bond franchise. Some of the worst bond movies come as the actors got too old for the role so the plot lines had to become more rediculous or gimmicky to cater for the actors own lack of pizazz or enthusiasm. Nobody wants to see and old dude play the role that’s meant for a young supple hunk of a human.

4 Likes

Instead of recasting Indiana Jones, it would be nice if they just make new IP but Hollywood care more about reducing risk and using the established franchise name. You cant blame them too much though if its what makes more money. Creed found an interesting middle ground where its new but built off the Rocky franchise, I think that was a good way to do it and could be used for Indiana jones too. Have a new character and Indy just gets involved half way through and dies leaving the new character and franchise name? It would be hard to pull off, theres a chance of it feeling very fake.

2 Likes

It should have had a soft reboot as a Short Round series 20 years ago. Indy could have made some cameos as a consultant.

Might have been a cool idea, might have been a flop. Couldn’t have been much worse than Crystal Skull, though.

2 Likes

You could literally have called either Crystal Skull or the new one something like “The Legend of Indiana Jones” and then just had him play the same sort of character that Sean Connery did in The Last Cruisade and have someone else pick up the mantle as Indiana’s apprentice.

It would have worked fine IMO. Youre not just throwing someone in as Indiana Jones, its a new character who is built off Indiana’s teachings and experience. Its a pretty simple way to transition someone old out, and someone new in.

3 Likes

Recently watched 2 movies

Witness for the prosecution- old black and white movie. I loved it. Didn’t really pick the ending at all( or at least the whole thing). I’m staggered it hasn’t been remade. Such a well done movie.

Hardball- Keane reeves plays a gambling addict who has to coach a bunch of poor black kids in baseball. Really enjoyed it, a lot more emotional than I was expecting it to be. Had an incredibly young Michael B Jordan in it too

And I’m about a qtr of the way through anatomy of a murder. Enjoying it so far

1 Like

Is that the one where the kids sing Big Poppa??

I think I saw that yonks ago. Has a really sad ending.

1 Like

Witness for the Prosecution is a classic made by the great Billy Wilder. Charles Laughton and Marlene Dietrich at their very best. There have actually been a couple of pretty lacklustre made-for-TV remakes, and it looks as though Ben Affleck may be doing another, but it’s hard to imagine anyone getting anywhere near the original.

Wilder made Witness for the Prosecution in 1957, followed it with Sunset Boulevard in 1959, and followed that with The Apartment in 1960. Pretty good hat-trick of movies.

3 Likes

Tyrone Power was also pretty good in that movie.

2 Likes

(I know not everyone’s cup of tea)

I watched Lady Chatterley’s Lover on Netflix last night, I know it’s been made a few times before but never seen them or read the book.

Gorgeous settings, countryside and clothing. Don’t know re the other movies but touches a bit on the difference of classes and the born to rule attitude of the gentry/landed gentry. Different times I know but the born to rule attitude still exists nowadays.

The chemistry between the main characters was very good, without that don’t think it would have been quite as good. I am not big on love story movies, but I enjoyed this one.

1 Like

Yeah that’s the one. Yeah had some pretty emotional stuff in it

1 Like

I haven’t seen those other two films. I will have to check them out

The Go-Between , with Alan Bates and Julie Christie, has a similar theme.
The novel of of that name , by LP Hartley , is worth a read. ( The past is another country)

2 Likes

Very well worthwhile. Pretty much any movie made by Billy wilder is worth watching

2 Likes

Some Like it Hot, in 1959.

1 Like

mindhunters early 2000s, terrible movie, totally worth a watch

My choice between watching Rouge One & Solo…Solo hands down.

It’s what they should have done with Short Round.

You are right. I meant to write Some Like it Hot but wrote Sunset Boulevard (1950) instead. He made so many great movies.

2 Likes