At the movies - From the couch

Haven’t seen Don’t Worry Darling, yet.
Thought A Promising Young Woman was really good, would watch again.
I like Peele’s films. I think Us was the best of the three.
Love A24 films. Hereditary, Midsommar. I’ll be watching the Whale, obviously. I already gave Everything Everywhere a good review.
Really, really liked the Lobster. One of my favourites in recent years…
So, yes, I guess generally you could say that I am.

1 Like

Fair enough.

Ex Machina is A24!
That’s one of my all time favourites.
I didn’t like The Witch, although apparently some do.
I haven’t seen Tusk. I’ve heard it’s pretty tough viewing, but I’ll probably give it a go at some point.
Uncut Gems…
I think I’ll give The Lighthouse a miss, unless someone here super recommends it.
Green Room…sure was a film…not sure how to rate it.
Wow, I’ve just been watching A24 films, apparently…
Did not like Coen/Denzel’s Macbeth.
Have been tempted to watch Climax, Swiss Army Man, Killing of a Sacred Deer and How To Talk To Girls At Parties (because I liked the short story).
Can’t see myself watching Moonlight.

I looked at Rotten Tomatoes top rated films for 2022 to see what I’d seen

Everything everywhere
The banshees of Insherin
Decision to leave
Hustle
The stranger
The Northman

They are all mid budget movies and I’d recommend them all. Actually reminded me of a few more I want to see.

1 Like

Good question. When l look at my list of favourite movies, most of them are from the 1980’s, so that is the decade l vote for.

2 Likes

dont talk about baby driver like its a good movie, the first 45 minutes are the rest is dogshit

1 Like

You didn’t rate it, which is ok, but critically it’s a risky medium budget film. I like big swings that not everyone likes. It’s where the best films come from.

Thats exactly my point

More people need to watch Aftersun. Not a sequel, not a marvel movie, not an existing IP, a first time director who’s probably made the best movie of the last few years. Don’t complain about movies being ‘crap’ when you barely bother to see them.

Swiss Army Man - too long and boring
Killing of a Sacred Deer- thought provoking and a clinically well made movie.
How To Talk To Girls At Parties - I liked this one best. Strange yet vaguely familiar to when I was a teen, though I wasn’t with any of the orange suits :rofl::joy::rofl::+1:

2 Likes

Appreciate it, man, thanks.

Thanks for the heads up. Loved Paul Mescal in Normal People & this looks pretty special too.
I’m on the Sunshine Coast so may have to wait to see it.

1 Like

80’s
Teen Wolf
Secret to my Success
Casualties of War

90’s
Greedy
For love Money
The Hard Way

I liked those movies

You seem to have forgotten Doc Hollywood.

2 Likes

I didn’t like it.

1 Like

Watched 2 amazing Netflix docos in the last couple of days. Not sure if there’s been any discussion on here about these but they’re both well worth a watch.

Volcano, about the rescue from the White Island eruption in New Zealand, and
Aftershock, about the earthquake in Nepal back in 2015.

The footage of both events was unbelievable, much of it captured from the very centre of the disasters by the survivors themselves. Their testimonies and those of other interested parties was so enlightening and needless to say, moving.

Everything these days is, apparently, awesome. But if you want to see awesome, literally, have a look at the settings of these disasters. Breathtaking beauty and menace in equal measure.

3 Likes

Actually watched this a few nights ago. Great little movie. Michael J fox Just oozes charisma.

Woody harrelson playing a redneck hick

Not too mention Julie Warner coming out of the lake

1 Like

I think Channel Seven has it on high rotation.

l caught part of last week on 7, for the first time.

Total Recall (1990). Flicking through fox tonight and it was on. Seems to have a cult following these days. Haven’t seen the 2012 remake.

7.5/10 an enjoyable two hours.

Sharon Stone :fire:

5 Likes