At the movies - From the couch

The 2012 version is more closely based on the book, not really a “remake.”

Regardless, it’s not worth it. The Arnie version is where it’s at.

3 Likes

Finally got to watch The Banshees Of Inisherin. I have to say that I had high hopes for this and I wasn’t disappointed.

2 Likes

Just home from watching Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre, Guy Ritchie’s latest.

A bit slow to start but eventually got going…some good action scenes…typical Guy Ritchie dialogue.

6.5-7/10

I really enjoyed The Stranger on netflix. Based on a high profile Australian murder case that I inexplicably have no memory of, which helped me get invested more into the narrative.

A slow burn with two excellent performances from the leads. The geezer who plays the ‘suspect’ in particular is fantastic, able to portray a timid, anxious, unsure man when required and also a creepy, disturbed, malevolent presence.

Like a few other australian movies (The Dry) it’s grounded, bleak, sincere, and understated.

There’s no hollywood hackery, no winking at the audience to show how clever it thinks it is, no contrivances and lazy, shoddy writing papered over by hamfisted social commentary.

Just well written, solid film making. Thoroughly refreshing for me, (despite the bleak content).

6 Likes

I quite liked The Menu.
It was thrown in the upcoming horror films a little while ago.
It’s more than that.
It’s also less than the sort of film I get into.
And this is no slasher.
Good.
Engaging.
There are no datees here, but if there were I’d say this is a film that won’t leave you checking out the furniture and feeling awkward.

Fiennes is worth the price of admission on his own.

Edit: household criticisms, that I kind of agree with, LMW: Queens Gambit actress is great but not quite right for this role.
MW: Tortilla plot hole.

Ridley Scott making another Gladiator movie from reports, not sure it’s been mentioned here. I’ll see that happily, anything with a toga really, yes including por.n you fools. Loved Rome, I Claudius. Very much enjoyed Gladiator though not nearly on the level of Rome. Beautifully put together film but didn’t get a real gritty sense of place other than the opening scenes in Germania. Hopefully this new one gets done and doesn’t go too far down the blockbuster route, would love a three hour political job with the odd bit of bloodletting and orgy doing.

4 Likes

Ridley Scott typically knocks those out of the park. Gladiator is a classic, and Kingdom of Heaven was underrated. I’ve not seen The Last Duel yet but reviews were good.

I highly recommend the director’s cut of Kingdom of Heaven. It’s a very different movie, much more fleshed out.

2 Likes

Great film agreed. The Last Duel was a curious one - looked great, generally good performances and quite unique I thought. Almost like he was thinking, “If I were a French director, and a bit drunk all the time, how would I make this film?”. That said I haven’t thought about it since, until now.

2 Likes

Despite good reviews it did very poorly at the box office, and thus disappeared quickly from public consciousness.

It’s still on my list though

1 Like

I read the full Nick Cave Gladiator 2 script.
Can’t help but feel l’ll be disappointed.

Would have been completely insane, but also would have been talked about for decades.

1 Like

Have you seen the forerunner to Gladiator? The Fall of The Roman Empire, from 1964 with Stephen Boyd as the general, and Christopher Plummer in the Commodus role. Big star cast, a quality production.

Don’t believe so, thanks for the tip. Anticipating some glorious tans, held in guts and corset work. That’s some cast too, cheers

1 Like

Considering that Gladiator was written on the fly, I wouldn’t put too much stock in anything that’s currently on paper.

2 Likes

Kingdom of heaven is extremely underrated. The final battle is absolutely epic, and absolutely brutal

4 Likes

I would like to watch it to appreciate some good Aussie film making but most days I drive past the spot where Daniel was taken so I’m not sure I’m up for it.

Just watched a fantastic movie called The Grizzlies. About a teacher who goes to a small artic town - which has the highest suicide rate in North America. He tries to change their lives by introducing them to the sport lacrosse.

Some pretty heavy stuff in it, but it’s a great sports movie and a great human movie

All based on a true story

3 Likes

This looks awesome.

5 Likes

Saw the poster at the cinemas recently and thought :roll_eyes: but then saw the trailer and realised it in part was based on true events. Only in America!! Looks great!

2 Likes

Not something l would usually go and see, but that trailer looks hilarious.

2 Likes

Same. At first glance it looks like a terrible B grade movie. But the trailer at least shows something more, a kind of tounge in cheek ridiculousness, that looks really fun.

2 Likes