At the movies - From the couch

Rain Man.
I like that one.

Mostly he’s just not my cup of tea.
I don’t buy him as an action hero, and most of his roles seem not just to be Tom Cruise playing Tom Cruise…that’s…not such a sin, but Tom Cruise playing himself.

If he’s in a movie, I actually need to be convinced the movie is good before I’ll go see it.

I’m looking forward to the new Top Gun.

My recollection of Eyes Wide Shut was that it was one of the worst movies I’d ever seen.

1 Like

I don’t want to criticise anyone’s judgement, we all like different things.

But here’s my recollection of the whole movie.
Nicole saying she saw a guy in uniform and thought about boofing him, but she didn’t.
A pool table.
Masks.
Passwords.
Unsexy sex.
Tom saw a murder, or did he?
I don’t know.
Tom and Nicole choose to stay unhappy together? Maybe?
Something about a newspaper?
That freakin’ annoying piano note.

And it was long.

1 Like

Kubrick is one of the few directors never to have made a poor film. Even my hero Scorsese made some less than great films. Kubrick was a true visionary.

Eyes Wide Shut is a film that will be lauded in the years to come for the masterpiece that it is.

1 Like

Kubrick made 2001 space odyssey. That is an overstuffed boring film( apart from the HAL stuff) imo

2 Likes

It’s been twenty years?

1 Like

What are your thoughts on Barry Lyndon?

My favourite Kubrick film. I have the the music as my ring tone.

In summary: I am a nerd.

1 Like

l watched it once at the cinema when it first came out, but l will never watch it again. l have never seen such a boring, big production effort. l appreciate the effort that went into the making it, l applaud the details, but l found it a colossal cure for insomnia.

It is for the same reason why l will never read Madame Bovary again.

3 Likes

Poo to you with knobs on

Love 2001.

Can’t believe Born on the 4th of July hasn’t had a mention when talking about Tom Cruise movies.

Also, Barry Lyndon is one of the most boring movies I have ever had the misfortune to watch.

1 Like

Theres a theory floating around that the movie is about Tom and Nicole’s descent into a child sex cult. Makes the movie more interesting even if it garbage.

I would never actively recommend Barry Lyndon for that reason. One of those movies that you love or find boring but I hope all who give it a go can appreciate the artistry.

I also acknowledge that my taste in film doesn’t reflect the mainstream. For example, whilst I find Lyndon amazing, Lord of the Rings and Star Wars movies bore me no end.

1 Like

The photography was technically superb - how to film a scene supposedly lit by a thousand candles? Also the imagery, of the dog pulling the boy’s coffin on a sled.
There’s a technical issue in filming night scenes - a play on words in the film “Day for Night” - the French title of that film is “La Nuit Americaine”.

1 Like

I’dl like SBS to run the Truffaut Antoine Doinel series.
Saw one in a francophone city, when, after Antoine was criticised for his English pronunciation, he explained that he learned his English in bed from the Australian wife of his boss. Could pick the Australians and Brits in the audience by their laughs. Must have been Bed and Board.

Agree, and the magery was often breath taking, spectacular. Such a pity it was so boring. One theory going around at the time was that it purposely set out to emulate the litereature of the time. I don’t know if that point of view has ever been confirmed.

1 Like

I remember reading back when it was released that the candle-lit scenes were actually filmed by the light from the candles, with no extra lighting. They certainly have a very different look.

It’s a beautifully made, terminally boring film of a very unremarkable book. The damn thing is nearly 3½ hours long!

1 Like

Wrong thread