At the movies

I love a good horror movie but there was something about Pennywise that sort of lost me. Some great scenes and subplots, beautifully made but just wanted more tension and fear. Someone compared it toa scary Stand By Me which sort of rings true

Stand by Me is based on Stephen King’s writing as well.

Cage Dive 2017 3 / 10
Set in South Australia.
My wife and l were going to see Dark Tower, as per the local movie app. only to find it had finished playing a week ago. Since we were already there and the time was right, we went to see this instead. We should have just come straight back home. In horror films one of the games is predicting who will survive and who won’t. That issue was decided very early on, so the movie had to generate tension in other ways, with mixed success. The main characters are three young Americans who come to Oz to dive with Great White Sharks, the cast are all unknowns, and the plot way too obvious, thin and contrived, it also has some holes in it so large a Great White could swim could straight through it. I remember a case a few years ago of an American tourist couple who went out on the Great Barrier Reef, and then got left behind by their boat. They were never found. That could have made a more interesting film.

My wife hated it, and wanted to walk out, but l wanted to watch it until the end. I think l should have listened to her advice on this one. She described it as a very, very, very, very, very, VERY rubbish film.

B Movie.
And the first 5-10 minutes is dire. Very nearly enough to make you want to turn it off.
As it happens, I like pointless, gratuitous nudity, poor acting, and dodgy camera-work.
After that, though, it’s almost like someone else took over the film.

The acting, in my opinion, gets real good. The two of them are left to carry the majority of their film, and they do. I found it engrossing, while…still…pretty obviously being a B movie.
They even have a stab at explaining one of the mysteries of that case.

1 Like

Really enjoyed Ali’s Wedding. Especially the references to the Bombers.

Agree. Ali’s Wedding v good movie.

1 Like

Yep, Ali’s Wedding was very good and the bomber parts made it even more enjoyable.

1 Like

Agree 100% with your review.

Even though I’ve seen and rate the original and have read the book, the Gordie drain sceen really got me and then i was left emotionally f@cked for the rest of the movie thinking about my to young boys.

Pennywise was a legit pedophil-esqe freaky-deek and the cast amazing. Agree about the ending but still hit the mark with 8.5/10 skid marks from me.

1 Like

Watched insurgent. If there is a worse plot with worse acting by a lead actor then I haven’t seen it. What a pathetic excuse for a movie

Most DC movies and a fair chunk of marvel movies.

1 Like

Probably the ugly sister of The Hunger Games…and just as overrated.

Went to see The Dinner the other night. Really liked the premise- but just horribly executed and the ending just made me want to rip my chair our and throw it at the screen

Sounds like our foray into finals footy.

4 Likes

Got 10 minutes into the Big Sick and turned it off. What an overrated movie. Are people giving it better ratings because they are afraid of being racists in an over sensitive time?

No, its was a nice movie

Anyone seen Baby Driver?

I heard it was awesome.

Watched the trailer and it looks kind of like Fast & Furious 9.

Then read some more comments basically saying it’s awesome, and just gonsee it without reading anything more about it.

No spoilers. But is it a must see? I don’t really have an afternoon I can waste at the cinema.

1 Like

Yeah really good. If you enjoy Edgar Wright’s previous films - Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead, Scott Pilgrim. Similar vein with the use of music and editing. Fark, I wished he got to complete Ant Man.

1 Like

Hmmm.
Havent seen those movies, but just checked the trailers and reckon Baby Driver worth a look for me.

Baby driver is awesome.

best use of music in a movie ever.

just saw kingsman 2.

■■■ better than the first. best action/comedy of 2017.

1 Like

Really? I saw it on Friday and although it was entertaining, thought the 1st was way better and funnier.