At the movies

Great Film

Great call!

Gladiator & Braveheart both amazing.

I’m too much of a history nerd to really enjoy Gladiator unfortunately. I mean, it’s well done and everything, but I always end up getting crankily pedantic and yelling at the screen about historical inaccuracies.

2 Likes

Oh yes…

1 Like

3 Likes

DC are ■■■■ movies. Apart from 2 batman ones can’t say I’ve enjoyed any.

Agree X a million

It’s like the saying - you don’t what you have lost until it is gone.

I had no idea how brilliant Nolan was until I tried to watch a post batman rendition

Seriously, how the fark did they fark up a cool batman legacy so quickly??

2 Likes

Ben Affleck is a ■■■■ actor when he’s not playing a Boston thug or someone getting absolutely poleaxed by his wife.

That being said back in the day animated justice league > anything animated by marvel.

Weeeeell…mostly.

On 2nd thought probably not most people on this forums day. But like 15 ton20 years ago.

1 Like

The JL animated show was great. So was Young Justice.

1 Like

JL below on box office expectations

Not appearing in anyone’s lists yet, Requium for a Dream is so well made, and leaves the viewer feeling most uncomfortable, as intended.
The cast (but especially Ellen Burstyn…spelling?) are on point.

3 Likes

I feel dirty that I forgot The Big Short and Wolf of Wall Street on that list

Requiem is a brilliant brilliant movie but I just don’t feel like I could watch it again (which is of course the point). It’s just too horrifying and haunting. Probably the most devastating end to a movie ever.

7 Likes

Okay, l did a top 5 yesterday only it was a 6 top 6, so here are some more. l tried to post this last night, but it didn’t work. Today is even worse because l keep thinking of other great movies, that l can’t leave out. These are in no particular order.

Sholay - Bollywood at it’s finest with a young Amitabh Bachchan. Two vagabonds become an Indian version of the Seven Samurai, with an Indian twist.
Intacto - mentioned previously. A man who survives against incredible odds pushes his luck to the limit.
Field of Dreams - my favourite sports movie, with Kevin Costner, James Earl Jones and Burt Lancaster, it will make anyone a fan of baseball and the game’s history.
Kagemusha - Kurosawa’s last masterpiece? l chose this because l saw it in a cinema first, and got the full effect of the sweeping cinematography and luscious visuals, but on another day l could have chosen Seven Samurai or Ran, with the majestic castle burning scene (l might even do a top 5 Kurosawa one day).
Lives of Others -during the Cold War, the east Germans spied on their own citizens as well as everyone else, with devastating effects.
Memento - Nolan takes context and smashes it into fragments, to replicate the fractured existence of his protagonist. A movie unlike any other in the way it constructs narrative.
Easy Rider - Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper in the greatest road movie of all time. they set out to find the new American dream and find Jack Nicholson.

There was at least another l had in mind as well last night, so l will need to come back and edit / add to this post later when l recall it.

Another one which would have come in at No 6 on my list (or 7, behind Apollo 13) hasn’t been mentioned yet. It’s the best superhero movie ever made, IMO. And it’s not DC or Marvel.

3 Likes

Unbreakable ?

That’s the one. So underrated it isn’t funny.

3 Likes