At the movies

Has made some classics but also some average films.

Apparently he’s currently working on a Charles Manson project. Working on a true crime story might hopefully bring him out of his comfort zone.

Kill bill I hate
Pulp fiction would have to be one of the most overrated films of all time
Django was average at best, and about 40min too long
Death proof is probably in my top 5 of worst movies I have ever seen
Dusk til dawn is just rubbish

Watched Moanna the other day. Very entertaining- Rock is great though I can’t get that “your welcome” song out of my head

You have my sword.

Every Tarantino film I’ve watched I just end up yelling “I GET IT MOVE ON” over and over.

1 Like

I like the David Bowie crab but there are some other good ones. Frankly I was relieved to get a break from frozen

1 Like

SHINY is the best song in the movie.

3 Likes

How did he edit out all the ■■■■ wooden performances?

YES

These things depend on how you’re judging them.
They are literally - pulp. Like superhero movies, in a way. All his films are based on larger-than-life characters, with a loose storyline that’s designed for the characters, not the other way around. They are more of a stage play than a movie.

Jemaine Clement just owns that movie

the line about a wealthy womens neck gets me everytime.

The big problem I have with him is his dialogue. What should be a 2min conversation goes for 10+min. Everything seems to drag. as you said, he creates interesting characters, but it’s the dialogue that just kills it.

He is also probably the worst actor I have ever seen on film. Just beyond awful

I haven’t seen frozen or brave- they worth checking out?

I really enjoyed the monsters inc films. Actually prefer the prequel over the first one

He deserves to be shot for that australian accent at the end of django.

1 Like

both are top notch, however frozen got on a special hype train not seen for a long time.

1 Like

That was an abomination. Just took you completely out of the film.

People rip of shymalan for putting himself in his own films, but he always plays very small serious roles.

He has had a very interesting run in films. Started out like a house on fire- then went as close as you can to completely destroying his reputation as a director. Now seems to be on his way up again

Frozen was much better than I expected. Brave was ok

1 Like

My boy loves the crab

The endings are now very similar and predictable, a blood flood style shootout, and almost everyone dies. More is the pity because he sets up interesting characters and stories, and then just appears to say stuff it all, or he loses interest or something. Dusk Til Dawn had a very interesting premise to start with and l was looking forward to how it was going to be resolved, then it just descended into a bog standard zombie flick. It was like two movies just had crashed head first into each other. What a waste.

I don’t think it was planned, actually. From what I’ve read (I’m WAY too fixated on these films…) there was a whole lot of drafts scripts submitted for Alien 3. The studio really didn’t have any plan as to what they wanted it to be (this was long before the rise of the ‘cinematic universe’). Some were truly dreadful (William Gibson’s cold war message flick with aliens disguised in human skin, for instance, or the one where ALL of Ripley, Hicks, and Newt died at the start of the movie and they had a bunch of new characters and there were chicken-aliens born from parasitized poultry and a giant voltron-alien made up of lots of regular-sized aliens) but one of the more intereasting ones was set on a wooden planet/space station, where a religious cult who refused to use hi-tech had been exiled. Hicks and Newt again died at the start of that one, but Ripley was planned to survive the film.

This was the option they went with (the aesthetics alone would have been awesome) but i think they chickened out late because it was just too weird, with the wooden world and a cop-out final scene where a monk gives a parasitized Ripley chest compression and she actually coughs up the alien embryo and it vanishes down his throat and bursts his chest instead. So they dumped this ‘wooden world’ scriptwriter and director and tried to redo it. But by that time, they’d already contracted a lot of the cast and Biehn was not on the list, and Carrie Henn was in her teens and had copped so much crap in school over playing Newt that she never acted again. And there was a tight timescale and a lot of the money had already been spent And then Sigourney Weaver decided she wanted Ripley to die at the end (on top of already stipulating ‘no guns’ after so many of the early script drafts were just variations along the lines of ‘Aliens, but with bigger explosions’).

So what came out was a compromise that nobody was happy with. The director had a miserable time under ridiculous pressure and saw his film sneakily butchered by the studio in post-production, none of the dozens of scriptwriters who contributed bits and pieces to the final Frankenstein was happy with the way their stories had been mutilated, the studio spent a lot of money making a film seemingly designed to kill off one of their cash cows, Cameron and Biehn were furious about the junking of the legacy of Aliens, and most of the fans saw it as a complete betrayal (although some do appreciate the artistry of it in places, and there’s a decent minority who love it for its bleakness). I think Weaver was ok with it, though i believe her opinions changed over time and she did come back and do Resurrection in the end, but by then the damage was done (and resurrection had plenty of its own problems). And one would hope so, because her plot demands (no guns, Ripley must die, Ripley must sleep with someone) were one of the reasons the film was so hard to script credibly.

There’s probably a good book to be written about the development of the Alien franchise. The low-budget horror hit out of nowhere, the action classic, the poster child for development hell, the desperate attempt to resurrect the cash cow, the cynically video-gamey Predator crossovers, and most recently the quasi-prequel films made by a director who clearly wants to be making a different sci-fi flick but is being forced by the studio to include the aliens. It’d be quite the Hollywood tale…

5 Likes