At the movies

Jackie Chan got Arnie covered, easily.

2 Likes

His Hong Kong era is outstanding.

Project A, Police Story, Drunken Masterā€¦

Heā€™s make some great Kung Fu movies

2 Likes

Dunkirk.

On my iphone over the course of 2 flights in a month, so had everything going against it. The Bose NC headphones brought it to life though.

Not a fan of movies that glorify war, this movie was on another level though. Donā€™t think any review I do will do it justice.

Real emotional roller coaster.

I canā€™t wait to watch this with the home theatre dialled up, the sound of that Spitfire engine, oh my.

My wife stepped out of the room for about 8 minutes of that, when she come back in she said ā€œWhat happened?ā€.

I said, ā€œBabe, there is no words in the english language I could use to describe what the hell just happenedā€.

Wall to wall, I had no idea what was going on.

2 Likes

Saw it at the cinema and enjoyed itā€¦watched it again last night at home and found so much more in it the second time around.

I believe this will be a movie that gets better with repeat viewings

1 Like

Watched Only the Brave on a flight the other night with Josh Brolin and Miles Teller. Loved it.

I havenā€™t cried in a movie for as long as I can remember, but goodness me the glasses came down at the end of that one

1 Like

yep , notch movie. The kind of film you can only watch once. I had the same emotional reaction as you

Such a farking good movie!

But what you didnā€™t know was happening looked shiny and cool.

1 Like

I thought it (Annihilation) was a completely arrogrant adaptation by the filmaker. So many of the elements that made the book engaging had been discarded in favour of trite unnecessary plot elements. I later read a review that quoted Garland as saying he didnā€™t read the book again instead writing his screenplay as the interpretation of the dream of the book. The movie totally missed the history and mystery of Area X and previous expeditions.

If the book is ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  good just do a faithful adaptation ffs

1 Like

I havenā€™t read the book so I cant judge on that regard.

I really rate what Garland has done as both a director and a writer but I thought he may have succumbed to external pressure on this film and in the end it left the end product a bit disjointed.

I still enjoyed it though and will watch again to see what I missed first time around.

I like Garland too however in this regard he went too far imho. Most of his other stuff he is working with essentially a blank canvas. Heā€™s a creative guy in terms of themes and storytelling so he was probably the wrong choice to write the adaptation.

On the issue of control he had the rare power of final cut. The studio submitted notes on changes but he chose to ignore them. This is what led to it going to Netflix in most worldwide markets. So on this occasion the results lie squarely on the filmaker.

1 Like

For me the biggest let down were the action scenes. For mine it took me out of the story and wasnā€™t necessary.

It looked really nice but it felt like about three or four movies in one.

The reviews I had read prior suggested it had some elements of the excellent Villeneuve film Arrival. When comparing to that adaptation it was light years behind in my opinion.

What troubled me was (spoilers for his last two movies)ā€¦

Both films are about someone coming into a strange environment and everyone dying and something escaping that environment which the world isnā€™t prepared for

Thatā€™s an interesting observation re the action. Guns are present in the book in a much reduced profile (only one assault rifle for very specific reasons) but turns out theyā€™re not very useful. Another aspect that adds to the overall mystery of AreaX.

I agress on Arrival. It has set the new benchmark for a sci-fi film that is theme oriented rather than space action.

1 Like

Youā€™ve hit the nail on the head there and is the primary reason I consider it an arrogant adaptation. Heā€™s tried to reproduce elements of Ex Machina in there. Itā€™s ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  ironicā€¦ because spoilers

She chooses to ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  stay in Area X and the end of the first book.

Artemis fowl theyā€™re changing the gender of the head honcho of the police.

Iā€™m assuming sheā€™s an untrustworthy narrator and the clone killed the original and walked out, not voluntarily died in the lighthouse

And shiny.

Wait did you say that? I was so confused.

1 Like

Thoroughly enjoyed It Follows and this looks visually stunning.