At the movies

Watched North by Northwest last night. Really enjoyed it. I have only seen 2 Hitchcock films but have really enjoyed them both. Might watch vertigo tonight.

North by northwest had one of the more entertaining drunk scenes I have seen in a film as well. Some pretty funny moments too throughout the film

1 Like

Same basic plot as one of his late 1930ā€™s films, The 39 Steps.

Had anyone heard of Cinemia?
Possibly a scam but if not, good value at $5 per movie.
Been going in the States since 2014 but mixed reviews.

Watched vertigo last night. Not a fan. Pretty dull, wasnā€™t a big fan of the ending either.

Hitchcock films I have seen:

Rear window- good
Birds- very good
North by northwest- fantastic
Vertigo- very average

Thatā€™s a pity. I think itā€™s one of the truly great films. I was lucky enough to see it for the first time on the big screen in a fully restored print. The opening setting the scene does nothing much, but the long sequence where he follows the woman day after day just gripped me, as did the sequences where he re-encounters her and remakes her continued it. The ending is silly but a lot of endings are silly.

1 Like

Disliking Vertigo just means that his opinions on movies are worthless.

But I think I already knew that.

1 Like

2 Likes

No more worthless than yours Margaret.

Fkn hell ā€¦:roll_eyes:

1 Like

The real question is how Vertigo compares to the masterpiece that is Iron Man 3.

7 Likes

THE LIST agreeā€™s with you. Donā€™t take my word for it, always refer to THE LIST

1 Like

Went to see Deadpool 2 this evening.

As I havenā€™t seen many Marvel, Xmen or superhero movies, am sure I missed some funny gags, as the audience laughed at few things I didnā€™t get.

Was very entertaining, enjoyed it and that kid was very good again.

Yeah, saw Deadpool Monday night also.
I did prefer the first one I reckon, but it was still good fun.
I like that it is an adult-orientated superhero film.

1 Like

Disaster Artist was fun.

I, Tonya was really interesting. If thatā€™s for real then itā€™s amazing how differently the story is remembered, to what actually happened.

Deadpool 2 was awesome, so many movie referencesā€¦When he said hold on One Eyed Willie I was the only one to laugh

As far as I know, I, Tonya is based entirely on Tonya Hardingā€™s account of things, and the point of it was as much to explore how she deludes & excuses herself as to tell the actual story. Which is a bit meta for me tbh.

1 Like

Hmm. She does make excuses for things in the film which they show are her fault, but it didnā€™t present itself as some alternate version of the truth in every way.

Needed a laugh so I watched a film called Tommy Boy. First time seeing it, very very funny. Chris Farley would have to have the funniest ā€œyelling voiceā€ I have ever heard

1 Like

Havenā€™t watched it but is that a reference to the goonies?

2 Likes

Isle of Dogs - awesome film, well worth seeing. No need to love dogs although the dog loving Mrs AVS got a few extra kicks from it over me.

Wes Anderson so needless to say stellar line up.

I find a lot of Wes Anderson films boring and self-indulgent.

There was one set in a holiday camp that I thought was excruciating.

Nowhere near as excruciating as Jim Jarmusch.

3 Likes