At the movies

Emily Blunt?

One and done.

no.

Local cinema had a fund-raiser for the Warrnambool Rail Trail tonight and the place was nearly packed.

The offering was The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society set mainly on the Channel Island of Guernsey in 1941 and 1946.

The society is set up in 1941 to thwart German curfew rules. Lily James, who seems to be the successor to Keira Knightley as the twenty-something English rose, is an author who’s writing has done very well during the war. She receives a letter from a Guernsey pig farmer (Michiel Huisman from Treme and GOT) saying they had a book with her name and address in it. She thinks it will be a good story for an article.

When she gets there, the society are unwilling to let her write about them, because it would expose Collaboration and fraternisation.

Really nice movie…got a good round of applause. All the ladies should have a squiz.

Also stars Tom Courtenay, well known for “angry young man” roles in the 60s, Katherine Parkinson from Doc Martin, Matthew Goode as the publisher, a much older Bronagh Gallagher from the Commitments and a few others I didn’t recognise.

On the way, got buttonholed by the guy in the seat behind (we’d had a short discussion about football and how we’d had to give up on watching Carlton St Kilda), who was asking about Marty Gleeson. Of course, this guy’s a friend of his dad. Koroit is only about 15km away.

I remember Lily James from War and Peace. Others will remember her as Elizabeth Bennet in Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Very, very attractive young lady.

Isle of dogs was great.

1 Like

No Villenueve no Sicario

Glad someone else has gotten around to seeing it. Saw it a while back and watched it again on the plane recently. Awesome film.

On another plane. New releases don’t look interesting.

Wag the dog?
Wayne’s world?
Indiana Jones set?
Moonrise Kingdom?
Forest Gump?

Wayne’s World or Raiders.

Go Wag The Dog if you haven’t seen it.

One film everyone should see.

1 Like

Indy!

The 12th Man 2017 / 135mins 8/10
Director: Harald Zwart
Danish production based on a true story. WW 2 drama set in Norway in 1943. A group of 12 Norwegians, trained in England return to their homeland to sabotage German airfields. They run into a patrol boat before they can land, and scuttle their fishing boat. Eleven are captured, but one escapes. What follows is a tense game of cat and mouse as the Germans, led by a relentless Gestapo Major (Jonathon Rhys Meyers) who pursues the 12th man Jan Baalsrud (Thomas Gullestad) .
This is in no way an action based movie. There are no big explosions or battle scenes. Instead there is an intense battle to escape a frozen wilderness, that turns out to be an epic survival story. This movie looks every bit as cold and uninviting as The Revenant. As the hunt continues, Baalsrud becomes a national symbol of survival, and various locals step in to help him, their assistance is needed as he becomes too weak to evade capture on his own. Even so, l found myself pondering his incredible will to live, when he was so close to death on more than one occasion. For fans of drama that is a slow burn.

Is that the one with de nitro and Hoffman? If so pretty good film

Can’t go wrong with Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

1 Like

Thanks for the ideas. Ended up with raiders then found a wee Anderson film moonrise kingdom which was pretty good.

1 Like

This looks like it might actually be pretty good.

Shane Black (the director) is a pretty talented guy and has a pretty respectable catalog of action films including the third and best, Iron Man.

Also happened to play a role in the original film.

4 Likes

Cant wait for The Predator!

3 Likes

This guy gets it

2 Likes

Difficult to argue with this list.

My order would be different though.

Memories of Murder would remain number 1 though.

Sicario should be #2

I would have No Country For Old Men at 2 with Sicario 3