At the movies

Almost certainly Pearl Harbour v2 after that trailer.

At least PH had Kate Beckinsale…

1 Like

I think Marvel originally assumed things would wind up with Endgame too. 10 months gap between the latest Spiderman and Black Widow next year is I think the longest time between marvel movies for something like a decade. Smells like someone a couple of years ago looking at box office receipts and saying ‘holy ■■■■, we have to keep this going past Endgame somehow!’ and then having to work out how the hell to make that happen.

Of the announced films, I’m most interested in Black Widow and Thor 4 (especially since they brought Natalie Portman’s character back), and in Dr Strange simply cos Elizabeth Olsen is in it and I like Wanda. But I’m sure I’ll end up seeing them all anyway. Marvel has pretty comprehensively earned the benefit of the doubt over the past few years.

Give me all of it now!!!

1 Like

I agree in part.
I also think they giving themselves space for Star Wars to breath during this period.

In the next month or 2, everything will be about Star Wars.

With the Mandalorian, Rise of Skywalker, and the animated shows… there will a lot of Star Wars coming.

Then Star Wars will die down for about a year, before Casian Andor, Clone Wars, Mandalorian season 2 & possibly an Obi Wan show… then announcements of Weis and Bennioff movies.

1 Like

Anyone seen Hereditary?

Watched it last night. It was weird and I could only vaguely work out what was going on.

Oh and the bit where she cuts own head off was ridiculous, I laughed.

Loved it, but then I love weird stuff.

Fantastic sense of menace throughout.

Agree re the sense of menace, which I enjoyed, just could not work out what the story was.

There was no connect during the movie with the people at the end, apart from the Joan, but that was quite obvious (at least to me).

Satan! It was a bit of an homage to 70’s horror, cults, satanism, Rosemary’s Baby kind of deal I thought. Like two different movies though. I dug it mostly. Gotta try stuff!

You can look these things up online.
I didn’t get everything but I followed a lot (the hint is in the title).

I personally enjoy watching things first and then reading the full debrief afterwards.

Here’s one for you.

1 Like

Thanks @wimmera1

Edit: read it, makes sense now. :slightly_smiling_face:

My thoughts on the Marvel announcements…

I dunno. Meh?

I wasn’t expecting much lead in hype at this point. There’s no hype train already in motion. They’ve closed out the vast majority of their story arcs. Their aim was to “stick the landing” and not worry about setting up the future. I highly commend them for making sure Endgame met the expectations they’d spent 10 years building.

So now they’re replacing brands with 10 years of customer engagement with new properties with no brand recognition. A 5 minute cast introduction at a fan convention is all we know of these new movies. There’s a reason the Black Widow and Thor 4 movies have the most excitement, it’s because we have no idea about the others.

Marvel has done a great job of making quality and varied films. Their production team won’t change. Their casting, digital fx, editing ect… are all the same people for every film they make. The difference is the script and the style. They know how to make a good product. Marvel Studios has enough runs on the board to comfortably say these films will be solid and entertaining.

The casts look good. I don’t have any investment in the comic characters, but there’s a few stars and a bunch of decent supporting actors.

Let’s be realistic. Most of us will see these films because they are the most consistent cinema material there is these days. The hype will grow as the release date approaches. We’ll go along, have a good time and get excited about whatever 10 year buildup Marvel has come up with this time.

Yeah, they’re really having to rebuild from the ground up after endgame. The avengers arc was built around Tony and Cap and they’re both gone. I reckon we’ll be seeing lots of cameos by fury, hulk, ant man, Spider-Man, Hawkeye etc in the next batch of films just to try to add continuity.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the black widow flick sets up some way for her to come back if they can talk Johansen into it. Cloning or something. And I’m sure if Evans changes his mind they could work out a way to de-age cap as well.

1 Like

Dunno, I just feel like every time I watch one of those things all I’m seeing is computer farms and rich, hammy actors delivering glib, unfunny cracks in smarmy voices. I like spaceships and monsters as much as any kid but the self satisfaction of these all too human super heroes makes me grind my teeth. The sets must reek of all kinds of ■■■■ the amount of smelling their own that’s going on. I know the DC films get sharted on for their grimness and the fact that they’re tedious, but a marriage of the two approaches would be a sum greater than the parts. Or just get Guillermo del Toro or Nolan to direct all of them. But yeah, there’s always a hangover and a dumb movie to soak up the hours so I’ll tune in, and they are certainly a reflection of where we are as a species.

1 Like

Most of the MCU stuff l will pass on, and catch on TV, except for Thor.
I will definitely give Jay & Silent Bob a big miss. Jay with foulest mouth l can recall being put on film, and no redeeming features.

1 Like

It’s a no from me Dawg.

Kevin Smith is a complete ■■■■■■

Funny though.
I like my low budget R rated comedy to be what it says on the label.

3 Likes

How so?

2 Likes

I’m not a fan of his movies at all, but keven smith the guy always seems pretty down to earth and likeable

If he’s the beardy tubby one than he just strikes me as kind of arrogant and a bit this is the final say on matters. Full of himself and I’m probably wrong but just seems to have hung his hat in the silent jay thing even though it felt like he just chanced upon the whole thing and got lucky.

Bit subtle but you could say I’m not a fan.