At the movies

He’s made some pretty interesting films, some bad, some good. Red State is worth a look.

1 Like

So if you decided with the passing of Rutger, (& having just set up the big new 4K UHD TV and Kenwood 7.1 system) that this Weekend might be a really good time to watch Bladerunner again , … which version would you choose?? :thinking:

The original theatre release, with the voice over recalling 1950’s cop movies.

2 Likes

I’d go for the Final Cut. It’s a kind of second go at the Director’s Cut. The original with the voiceover is second best, but there’s a tacked-on hopeful ending that completely contradicts the whole premise of the movie that the world is dying.

2 Likes

The original every time.

1 Like

That’s a no from me

First one was great!

6 Likes

Went to see The Lion King this evening, was good.

Don’t know why the reviews canned it.

1 Like
2 Likes
3 Likes

I’ve just looked at those last 3 trailers.

Why do I feel as though I’ve already seen all 3 of those movies 1000 times before?

1 Like

First time I have seen the trailer for 1917. I’m not sure if they are deliberately trying to make that look like a Christopher Nolan film or not but it has some very similar visual effects.

That aside it’s got the great Roger Deakin working the camera and Mendes has made some very good films throughout his career.

Expecting that to be very good and most likely will be aimed at all the big awards as it’s release date is Christmas Day.

3 Likes

The whole catalogue of Rocky films have just been released to Netflix.

Just about to settle into no. 3

5 Likes

Finally caught the new Toy Story. Really really good. Not as good as 3 (obviously) but still seriously excellent. Another gem from Pixar.

1 Like

Just back from seeing Danger Close: The Battle of Long Tan.
This was a very well made movie…it didn’t glorify the battle or our soldiers but told the story in a respectful way (imo).
A very mature movie that would stand up well on the world stage.

1 Like

Anyone seen The Nightingale?

Good battle scenes?

Saw Midsommar during the week. From the director of Hereditary. Had reasonably high expectations and the premise of a group of US 20 somethings attending a festival hosted by a cultish Swedish commune was interesting. Unfortunately, it didn’t live up to its promise and I actually loled in a couple of places.