At the movies

Luckily they are filming the next 9 back to back to back... That'll help improve quality.

watched 7 psychopaths over the weekend. Entertaining, sam rockwell crack's me up. Christopher Walken does his usual schtik and does it well. Abbie Cornish has a small role but does have an entirely gratuitous, albeit fleeting, wet tshirt contest moment. If you liked In Bruges you will probably like this. If you didn't i think you'll still get a get laughs out of it

Just watched Airplane! (1980), To Catch a Thief(1955), Singing In the Rain (1952), Calamity Jane (1953), Blazing Saddles (1974), Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954), Along came Jones(1945), Casablanca (1942), Cool Hand Luke (1967), Saturday Night Fever (1977), The Great Escape (1963), Carmen Jones (1954) and a heap of Elvis movies from his catalogue, Jailhouse Rock, Loving You, Flaming Star, G.I. Blues, Blue Hawaii, Follow That Dream, Girls Girls Girls, Kid Galahad, Fun in Acapulco, It happened at the World's Fair, Roustabout and Viva Las Vegas. Will watch the rest as time permits . Some brilliant movies in that lot, as well as some not so in the Elvis ones, but they were always good to hear the King sing, and they pass a boring day away nicely as some light hearted entertainment.
Have lined up, Shane (1953), Sunset Boulevard (1950), High Plains Drifter (1973), Donnie Darko - Director's Cut (2001), Don's Party (1976), The Odd Angry Shot (1979), The Thief of Bagdad (1940) and The Wizard of Oz (1939). Some great viewing ahead.

There are some truly great films in there (not counting the Elvis ones: I've never managed to watch more than about 5 minutes of an Elvis film).
What's the occasion? Are you trying to catch up on the classics just to see what they're like, or is there some particular reason?
If you're looking for truly great films to watch, try Vertigo, High Society and The Player (Robert Altman).

No occasion, just love watching good old movies evry now and again. Will check your ones out.  Will also try to find the original Cape Fear with Robert Mitchum, so much better than De Niro's effort.

It would be interesting to hear everyone's favorite actors/actresses. For me, Marlon Brando is one of my all time faves - The Godfather & Streetcar. I should get around to watching 'On The Waterfront'.

Very hard to choose as there have been so many greats over the years, but I will say I have always had a soft spot for Cary Grant. To me he was always the smoothest, suavest and most elegant man on the screen. It would seem that Hollywood almost agreed with me, having voted him the second greatest ever male star behind Humphrey Bogart.

Yep. North by Northwest is one of my favourite movies ever. Action, intrigue, suspense, and romance. Toss in some great acting and directing by the master, and what's not to like?

'To catch a thief' and 'Charade' are up there too.

Watched The Great Gatsby on the weekend.

Visually, fantastic. Story-wise, meh. Dragged its ■■■ a lot in the 3rd quarter, which led to not really giving a crap about the ending by the time it rolled around. Could have done with a 15-20min trimming. Everyone's performances were at Tobias Funke levels of ham so no one really stood out. But again I will reiterate that it was a visually stunning movie - the sets, costuming and cinematography were top shelf.

6/10

Watched The Great Gatsby on the weekend.

Visually, fantastic. Story-wise, meh. Dragged its ■■■ a lot in the 3rd quarter, which led to not really giving a crap about the ending by the time it rolled around. Could have done with a 15-20min trimming. Everyone's performances were at Tobias Funke levels of ham so no one really stood out. But again I will reiterate that it was a visually stunning movie - the sets, costuming and cinematography were top shelf.

6/10

All style, no substance. A typical Baz Luhrmann film.

I saw Woody Allen’s Blue Jasmine last night. The cinema was almost empty, presumably on account of school holidays and the grand final. The woman immediately in front of me thought it was the funniest thing she’d ever seen and collapsed in fits of laughter almost constantly. I didn’t. I’ve had about enough of Woody Allen and I think he’s well and truly past it.

Cate Blanchette plays Jasmine, former wife of Hal, who’s played by Alec Baldwin, in flashback because he’s dead at the time the action of the film takes place. Hal was a super-rich investment banker and Jasmine was his socialite wife, whose world falls to pieces when Hal is arrested and imprisoned for fraud and commits suicide in gaol. Jasmine is left with no money and has to go to San Francisco to live with her sister, who is a checkout chick. So the movie is all about the clash of cultures.

Why didn’t I like it?

First, because the centre of the film is Cate Blanchett’s performance as Jasmine, who is cracking up, or has cracked up, under the strain. I didn’t find her character credible and I don’t think she did either, really; I was always conscious that she was acting rather than inhabiting the role. She was supposed to be intelligent but showed few signs of it, and came across basically as a pain in the ■■■■. Cate Blanchett will probably win an Oscar for it, because it’s the kind of scenery-chewing performance that wins Oscars, but she’s done far better stuff than this.

Second reason, I thought the screenplay was really sloppy. Just as an example, the film opens with Jasmine in the aeroplane on the way to SF, sitting next to a sweet old lady and talking non-stop about her life and problems: the old lady literally says nothing. This goes on for the whole flight and through to baggage collection, where the old lady finally escapes to her husband, with Jasmine still crapping on about the injustice of her predicament. It was completely unnecessary to finish this with a short scene of the old lady telling her husband that Jasmine had been talking to her about her life all across America: we knew that already. Another example: there’s a son, and a tiny bit of a story about him, but he’s introduced almost as an afterthought and completely undeveloped as a character. It would have been better to leave him out altogether than do him so half-heartedly.

The jokes are few and not funny, although the lady in front of me would disagree about that.

There’s the usual Woody Allen jazz soundtrack.

The best thing about the movie is Jasmine’s sister Ginger who’s played by an English actress called Sally Hawkins. She’s cute, and believable, although her boyfriend is not.

Don’t bother with this one.

Last night I was going to see The Turning, but at the last minute I decided I was too tired to face three hours and an interval of challenging cinema, so I went to a thing called La maison de la radio at ACMI.

This is a documentary about a day at Radio France, which is housed in a huge circular building in Paris.  It's made by Nicolas Philibert who made Etre et avoir (To Be and to Have) about a country schoolteacher a few years ago.  That was a lovely film, and so is this one.  He's got a very nice documentary style, usually just placing a couple of cameras somewhere appropriate and leaving them there, so that the viewer can quietly watch the people in the room doing whatever they are doing.  There's virtually no explanation of who anyone is, but he gives enough context for this never to be a problem. 

There are a number of scenes that are returned to during the day: an experienced news editor critiquing a report filed by a very young journalist; a string trio and singer rehearsing a German song; a woman directing a radio play.  There's a lovely blind woman transcribing the news into Braille and then reading the news from her transcript.  The camera shots are beautifully composed and very sharp, and it's fascinating to watch people behaving naturally. 

Fans of Hollywood blockbusters will not be interested in this, but anyone who likes watching people who know what they're doing trying to do the best they can will love it.  I loved it.

8.5 out of 10.

New preview for the second Hobbit movie...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbOEknbi4gQ

New preview for the second Hobbit movie...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbOEknbi4gQ

Can't wait....for it to be over.

Yeah, but you're a 'tard.

I WOULDN'T HAVE THOUGHT THAT a movie about the Rock running a trucking company and taking down a mexican drug cartel could be lame and boring,

But Snitch is just that.

Battle Royale = The Hunger Games in Japanese.

The Hunger Games = Battle Royale in English + less violence

At the risk of sounding like a ■■■■ the manga Battle Royal is based on is so much more violent than the movie. I was disappointed by the film.

Booked in to see ‘Gravity’ 3D Friday night Gold Class.

Looks visually stunning.

Hope Sanda Bullock doesn’t F*ck up the movie too much.

Just can’t see how they thought it was a good idea to cast her in that role.

Anyhow, should be good.

Margaret gave it 4 and a half stars.

David gave it 4.

Booked in to see 'Gravity' 3D Friday night Gold Class.
Looks visually stunning.
Hope Sanda Bullock doesn't F*ck up the movie too much.
Just can't see how they thought it was a good idea to cast her in that role.
Anyhow, should be good.
David gave it 4.

Yeah seeing it tomorrow night in 3d. Big fan of the director who was responsible for Children of Men & the 3rd Harry Potter film (the one everyone loves). Looking forward to it as there hasn't been much on at the cinemas...

I WOULDN'T HAVE THOUGHT THAT a movie about the Rock running a trucking company and taking down a mexican drug cartel could be lame and boring,

But Snitch is just that.

watch pain and gain.

youll forgive him.

Looks visually stunning.
Anyhow, should be good.
David gave it 4.

Yeah seeing it tomorrow night in 3d. Big fan of the director who was responsible for Children of Men & the 3rd Harry Potter film (the one everyone loves). Looking forward to it as there hasn't been much on at the cinemas...

such an underrated film. Love it

Looks visually stunning.
Anyhow, should be good.
David gave it 4.

Read an interview with the director (or maybe the producer, can't remember) who said that the amount of research and thought she put into the role (including speaking to astronauts on the ISS about life up there, and practicing how her natural breathing rhythm changes under certain amounts of duress) was incredible.

Looks visually stunning.
Anyhow, should be good.
David gave it 4.

Read an interview with the director (or maybe the producer, can't remember) who said that the amount of research and thought she put into the role (including speaking to astronauts on the ISS about life up there, and practicing how her natural breathing rhythm changes under certain amounts of duress) was incredible.

Just saw Gravity in 3D. Thought it was visually amazing and definitely worth watching it in 3D. One of the few films that has converted/made well for the format. Sandra Bullock was very good in her role and George Clooney playing his usual witty self which worked. The film itself only goes for about 90 minutes, but was a suitable length for the plot. At times it felt as though you were part of a videogame, as a lot of camera angles were from the perception of the characters. Well worth a look.

Also realised 'Rush' is out on release, and by all reviews, looks to be a return to form for Ron Howard.

Looks visually stunning.
Anyhow, should be good.
David gave it 4.

Just saw Gravity in 3D. Thought it was visually amazing and definitely worth watching it in 3D. One of the few films that has converted/made well for the format. Sandra Bullock was very good in her role and George Clooney playing his usual witty self which worked. The film itself only goes for about 90 minutes, but was a suitable length for the plot. At times it felt as though you were part of a videogame, as a lot of camera angles were from the perception of the characters. Well worth a look.

Also realised 'Rush' is out on release, and by all reviews, looks to be a return to form for Ron Howard.

Agree with all of that Jefferson.
Saw it last night, thoroughly enjoyed it.
Worth seeing just for the visuals alone, breathtaking.
My fears were alleviated regarding Sandra Bullock, she was quite good.
Of course, with any Hollywood movie, one must be able to suspend belief to a certain extent (eg. fire extinguisher scene).
Will watch again.
Recommend !