Australia’s Black History

Thanks scotty, I think most of us would agree that’s fair enough.

My preference would be for a date change. I vote for that day to be my birthday.

2 Likes

Why the “motley”?

And if it changes I’ll celebrate being thankful for this wonderful country on that day. But right now our national day is Jan 26. So I’ll throw some meat on the BBQ, have a beer or 3 and go to the Victory game later

4 Likes

Speaking of public holidays, how fortunate and co-incidental is it that Charles has the same birthday date as his mother?!!! Means we Vics retain the mid June long weekend.

Ditch the king and those Royals ……the date we do that via referendum then that’s the day that becomes Australia Day - that’s my choice

3 Likes

VOTE 1 to change Australia Day to 29 February.

3 Likes

Yeah so if we become a republic @Walla we actually need two public holidays days to replace Australia Day and Kings Birthday

1 Like

Agreed, why drag Vince Neil and blokes like that into this debate? A bunch of bloated syphilis ridden rockers these days, who toured here a few times and we’re stuck with a holiday that upsets a good number of the public, irks others pushing for change and the rest put matilda aprons on at the barbie and get wasted in celebration of one of their world tours. They also were from LA, it was Judas Priest who were English, them and Black Sabbath.

2 Likes

Change it to the day Essendon last won a final because theres no danger of that date being changed in our lifetimes.

3 Likes

3 December for one.

Front runner for “the best comment of 2023” so far.

4 Likes

Also, the rusted on proponents of Jan 26 will continue to celebrate on this day whether it’s sanctioned or not. It’s safe to say that a lot of the people who are stubbornly against a date change aren’t going to accept any alteration graciously.
This is one of the rare cases where I sympathise with legislators. They are between a rock and a hard place and any decision/non-decision is going to widen an already significant divide.
Which date represents a common gratitude and pride for the circumstances under which we live?

Personally I think the date should be changed.
I also think, bit selfish due to being a small business operator, that it should be a Monday and not a fixed date as in ANZAC day.
Australia Day long weekend has a nice ring to it.

Dodoro Day in honour of the great man’s achievements :rofl:

4 Likes

Become a Republic and make the day of independence Australia day. Change the flag. Time we grow up.

7 Likes

Treaty.

Dont forget what invasion/european settlement has meant.

And another public holiday which is more important to end that above division.

I reckon ignoring the european founding of whats now Australia is missing the point. Its just not very Australian.

What would be more Australian is drawing up a treaty.

■■■■ NZ now have TWO unique public holidays celebrating their indigenous culture and making peace with it. A treaty day as their national holiday and the Maori new year.

3 Likes

Treaty.

Dont forget what invasion/european settlement has meant.

And another public holiday which is more important to end that above division.

I reckon ignoring the european founding of whats now Australia is missing the point. Its just not very nice to celebrate it - you can commemorate stuff. Probably still deserves a day off work.

What would be more celebratory is drawing up a treaty.

■■■■ NZ now have TWO unique public holidays celebrating their indigenous culture and making peace with it. A treaty day as their national holiday and the Maori new year.

We dont have to stop with a public holiday re Cook and arriving in Australia, or invading. Other countries have that too.

Hope many of you stood proud today!

The true meaning of “Australia Day” ? Here’s a quote from the Australia Day Wikipedia article on the question of whether indigenous people should be included :

In 1888, prior to the first centennial anniversary of the First Fleet landing on 26 January 1788, New South Wales premier Henry Parkes was asked about inclusion of Aboriginal people in the celebrations. He replied: “And remind them that we have robbed them?”

8 Likes

Celebrities back push for homeowners to pay Indigenous Aussies ‘rent’

1 Like