Australian Politics -- hold my slabs

5 Likes

It’s a beat up
It was discussed at yesterday’s presser. see main Covid thread
It is mostly specific to a pandemic, distinct from other emergency legislation.
Background is that this was pushed for in Parliament to give greater accountability and transparency, including Parliamentary oversight - every three months, accompanied by CHO health advice , with explanations if the advice is not followed.
CHO would also be guided by a special panel involving wider interest groups.
Hunt exercises wider powers under the emergency provisions of the Biosecurity Act and is less accountable
As noted by Sutton , the term ‘unelected official’ is now used pejoratively.

Brian Fisher is revising his original model - the one that was criticised by the likes of Frank Jotzo.
Expect a lively debate at the NPC today.

And the police force is already armed as if It’s an army to deal with that…

Imagine what would have happened if we were relying on the liberals to make important health decisions via parliament during all of Victoria outbreaks. You would have been burying bodies in open graves in royal Park

5 Likes

yes it is

Also to note that Hazzard blocked Chant from providing her health advice to a NSW Parliamentary Committee.

2 Likes

The rest of the world doesn’t believe Scotties bullshit either.

10 Likes

That’s not a thing…just people I perceive to be acting against the common good.

There’s plenty of politicians on the list and quite a few religious leaders. Some business leaders.

1 Like

mine’s here - Financial Review Rich List 2021 - Wikipedia

maybe [redacted] is too much. we can just seize all of their current assets.

i’m sure with their superior work ethic they’ll make it back in no time.

2 Likes

Lol, TIL Gina Rinehart’s real name is Georgina, but she called her kid Ginia.

What the actual ■■■■

E: her middle name is Hope and she called her other daughter Hope, you can’t make this ■■■■ up

1 Like

What about the bs line that the government got elected in 2019 on the back of its climate change policies ?

• Zali Steggall says hi to Tony Abbott.
1 Like

The ABC’s online heading for this article is a good one.

1 Like

You said ‘policies’ when the word you were searching for was ‘lies’.

1 Like

Climate change scientists on now at NPC- ABC TV 24.

I don’t think either situation (Sutton or Andrews) is ideal, but I see why it’s necessary.

From an accountability perspective though, surely it is actually better for a decision like that to be made by an elected politician as opposed to an unelected public servant?

2 Likes

That’s the problem. Other options have flaws.
I have no problems that in a health crisis, the CHO should be able to push his recommendations and be accountable for them.
As soon as you have someone above them (or they are part of a cabinet) you’ll end up with similar situation as 2020 June HQ breeches where the setup is completely compromised and when it gets to a cabinet committee, it’s unclear who has authorisation over decisions.

Do people seriously think that we would have gone in and out of lockdowns if it was up to a politician to decide? We would have followed the NSW way (because that works) which wouldn’t have necessarily worked here.
We would have been even more farked if we did a ‘NSW style’ pleases, messaging briefings, essential work recommendations and ‘do not burden citizens’ lockdown because of the range of movement we have in this state.

Maybe airing CHO recommendations at parliament level might be great for transparency.
But how do you lockdown early and quickly if it needs to be argued politically first? By that time, it’s a well seeded outbreak.

It would be great if we had non political people within a cabinet that can collaborate well. But we know they won’t be independent of government.

No matter what you do, it has flaws.
I have no problem with the beginning recommendations coming from the CHO. It’s how you decide to strip those recommendations down to try and ‘balance’ against other issues (I.e. economic, logistics, etc).

1 Like

CHO has been taking proposals through Crisis Cabinet and acting within the constraints of the current emergency legislation as well as broader legislation.
As I understand it the Bill gives the Premier the power to declare a health emergency within the legislated principles, Health Minister signs off Orders on basis of CHO advice…
It’s not really about unelected officials, but a legislated device that in reality constrains the capacity for the government to act capriciously and gives transparency to decision making which weights health and the economy, as well as why some measures are workable in practice

• through Parliamentary scrutiny and public transparency…

Assume also it covers Declarations of Disaster.

To me, it’s about public trust in government institutions.

1 Like

14 Likes

Ruby Princess, cruise ships decisions on timing of bans on entry at the border.

• Fed Health Minister actions under the Biosecurity Act, then refusal to allow witnesses at NSW Royal Commission and Coate Inquiry.
  • NatCab confidentiality.

Zero transparency and accountability.

1 Like