Australian Politics -- hold my slabs

Adults in the room at NPC, noted that Newscorpse did not attend.
Lots of Qs to experts on proven technology and downsides, cost thereof ( like time to use land after soil sequestration) ; research on potential technology

Can you explain this point?
Cabinet is government. How could they be non political or independent?

It seems pretty obvious to me that the leader of the government should have the final say. Thatā€™s governing.
A lot of people have just been worn down by so many years of LNP ā€œnot my jobā€ at fed level that it seems an outrageous overstep when a government does their job.

1 Like

CHO is not an elected government official (as far as Iā€™m aware).
So how exactly does his authority with health orders get implemented and managed?
How does the chief of police get his say on how orders are enforced?
There need to be some form of unelected officials in the meetings (even if itā€™s not exactly a ā€˜cabinetā€™).

Weā€™ve seen national cabinet be an absolute mess because too many political leaders want to ā€˜point scoreā€™ and message their way about. At least CHOs are less likely to have an agenda or want to become media superstars in messaging.

It is farking difficult to take the politics out of the discussion with politicians involved. Iā€™d be interested to know how Denmark were able to minimise the politics through the pandemic.

My stance isā€¦
It needs to start from the CHO. Then gets stripped back with government taking ownership of what is stripped back. From the outside looking in, Iā€™d hazard a guess that this is the way Vic worked with things up until July last year. Then Government got burned and reverted to go closer towards the ā€˜health ordersā€™ and trying to negotiate certain outcomes rather than stripping it back and running with it.

Thereā€™s a difference between providing information and recommendations to inform decisions, and actually taking (and being responsible for) those decisions.

CHOā€™s job is to tell the relevant minister/s (or cabinet) ā€œthe best way to tackle this is do Xā€.

Minister has it written up as a bill and tables it in parliament (or, with these exec powers, just does it).

Statutory office holders exercising their statutory authority have been known to be sacked if the Government of the day doesnā€™t like their decisions.

I donā€™t know if you were being rhetorical, but the CHO is appointed by the Secretary of the Department of Health under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act, which is where they get their powers/functions from.
The police commissioner reports directly to the Police Minister, who can direct the commissioner on certain (but not all) matters regarding public order.

The problem with bringing in non-government people into government discussions, is that there is a fine line between consulting with industry leaders/experts in seeking advice about decisions, and having them in the room directly influencing those decisions.

People are inherently not independent. Thatā€™s just how it is.

Some of the Scandinavian countries epitomise good governance. We are so far from that, that we might as well be an anarcho-syndicalist commune

I do not agree with this. I saw examples of when Gough was PM and I worked for a Minister of how this is not productive at all. PMā€™s mostly make political decisions and Gough was a monster at that. My friends in the Rudd Government say that KRudd also had similiar actions, and this was the prime driver in his downfall.

Not sure if Howard, Abbott or Turnball should be left with a final say, bur I am farking sure that Morrison should never have it.

Parliament should make the final decision on everything.

You are correct regarding people not being independent.
Everyone is conflicted.

In the end, whoever has the ability to make these decisions needs to be trustworthy.
Trust in government is at an all time low and I donā€™t see it getting any better.
Weā€™re not at ā€˜Trumpā€™ levels of trust yet.

So why not just leave it as it is?
What is so much better about the alternative?

As in, politicians rather than public servants.

Not PM (or premier) having unchecked power

I donā€™t pretend to understand the machinations of the clusterfuckery that happens at the top end of politics, and unfortunately I have no idea whatā€™s better.

Give the powers to one person, and expose yourself to their personal biases and incompetencies.
Give the powers to a collective, and you get politics.

Ideally your public servants would have baseline ethics, morals and good judgement about government ideals without external influence. Kind of like how Icelandā€™s government jailed executives of its top banks following the GFC.

But we live in Australia and we love tonguing big business, so yeah.

1 Like

How the Parliamentary system and its disciplines get manipulated.

The Curious Case of Christian Porter and the $1m Secret Nobody Wants to Talk About

• Article of 26 October by Dennis Atkins in Independent Queensland

inqld.com.au

Didnā€™t know where else to post this, and apologies if it already has been, but what a joke.

Some do. Usually they go a step too far with their colleagues and are dealt with, but not always. Mayber if Gough had of been PM longer than 3 years, his colleagues may have found the balls to ta ke him on, but I doubt it.

While I reckon Dan is a fine Premier and a strong Leader, he is too much a micro-manipulator and is too quick to just destroy a person who makes a mistake or is a threat.

Parliament perhaps should just be the place that sets policy and direction and that the Public Service should run the place, and we never have to actually see or listen to any politician.

The handling of AO unvaxed is interesting.
Dan starts off with the message that he doesnā€™t get involved in negotiations with sport bodies on Covid arrangements - thatā€™s for Pakula.
Today he said he was not going to ask the Feds for an exemption from the rule that visas are limited to the vaxed.
When Rudd came in the Queenslanders warned that he was a micro manager, thatā€™s how you will have to work .
Micro managing was Ruddā€™s undoing as he emasculated the authority of every one of his Ministers and tried to run Government from his Office.

82 Barkers Street, Hawthorn

2 Likes

Barkers ROAD ??

1 Like

Barkerā€™s NEST!

1 Like

Yes Barkers road. Not sure why his tweet had street.
Looks like itā€™s near the tram depot.

Barkersā€™ EGGS!

1 Like

I donā€™t think the world bought Scottyā€™s marketingā€¦

6 Likes