Australian Politics -- hold my slabs

That is just not true at all. Gillard won Government with Tony Windsor, Rob Oakeshot, Adam Bandt and Andrew Wilkie, and achieve some fantastic results in new legislation in spite of the Greens. Gillards greatest achievement after putting Abbott down, was to negotiate and win support for many issues.

1 Like

Rudd’s original plan wasn’t good policy.

These pages look blank to me

6 Likes

Billboards are actually a really smart way to maximise your advertising dollars. It’s a tangible thing in the community that news services can then write stories about.

This isn’t about the billboard. This is 100% about the free media that the billboard generates.

The Times Square billboard stunt only lasted for 10 minutes, but it got worldwide media coverage and a live interview on CNN. Not a bad return of a $10k investment.

5 Likes

I’m specifically talking about climate policy in this case.

Gillard is clearly the best PM of the last decade or so, but the climate policy she and the ALP took to the 2010 election campaign was hot garbage, and it was the Greens (and others) holding the balance of power who shoved the ALP into actually doing something worthwhile.

Regardless of history though, it seems very unlikely that should the ALP win govt at the next election, that they’ll be able to get anything through the senate without Greens support unless they club together with the Libs.

It’s simple.
During the next election, anyone on the left side of politics just needs to run adds with one simple message.

6 Likes

only people who already agree with the sentiment are paying any attention to it

hmmmm

Or them having the gall to try to talk to you on the 1 day a week you bothered to show up for your recorded lectures

1 Like

Pretty big difference between Times Square and Barker’s Rd Kew though. I don’t see how that one serves any purpose.bits mildly amusing, but it’s not changing anyone’s mind on anything

He’s got $225k or so of donations to do satirical work in the community. This is exactly what people have paid him to do.

Some of these won’t get noticed. Some of them will. There’s no clear rule of what gets swept up into the public consciousness and what gets overlooked.

The fact that we are talking about it is a pretty good indicator that it has had more success than just a couple of people walking past.

3 Likes

Most of the heavy equipment used to create firebreaks during a fire and clear roads after a fire has passed all comes from the logging industry.

Without a significant logging industry, there won’t be a fleet of men and equipment available. It’s a real issue. It’s not an unsolvable issue, but it is definitely real.

There have been successful court challenges to Victorian timber policies on environmental grounds…
As I understand it, it relates to allocations for felling native trees, with an eventual target of a future ban,
WA is reportedly the first State to ban logging in native forests.

1 Like

That is the straw man argument of the CFMEU right there. Native forest logging is to be ceased, however plantation logging (both introduced and native timber species) can continue. There will still be an industry, although on a reduced scale.

The issue is the lack of long term planning to develop a plantation based industry of greater size, as it was cheaper to log native forest and “regenerate” it - the last word used advisedly given the impact of heavy machinery on soils and other vegetation.

3 Likes

And I would also add, the lack of actual management of previously logged areas during such “regeneration”.

Regeneration requires actual forest management, such as thinning and weed management to regenerate healthy forest. You cant just throw our seed and walk away.

1 Like

Personnel, sure. But the equipment isn’t going anywhere if the industry shuts down, surely it can just be redeployed for those purposes

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 10000 replies. Continue discussion at Australian Politics – hold my slabs (Part 3).