Australian Politics, Mark II

LOL at the Insiders strawberry video package showing a government backbencher noting they help prevent baldness and immediately jumping to Dutton saying ‘it is a very significant issue that we need to deal with’.

2 Likes

I saw Donnie Darko…so yes!

Not necessarily religious people, but usually people who preach from the moral high ground. And more often than not they come from a conservative bent.

2 Likes

An entitled wanker wants to tell us something:

1 Like

opens link

cackles like a maniac at who the author is

4 Likes

The stocking that flatters.

3 Likes

Please.
There’s no-one even within the party willing to say the leadership challenge was a good idea.

They sacked a 12 point preferred PM.
Because of Abbott the Wrecker.
He wrecked Rudd, he wrecked Gillard, he wrecked himself, he wrecked Turnbull [edit: Twice].
I have no doubt that in time he will wreck Morrison, not that he needs wrecking.

Get rid of the most negative, disruptive influence in Australian politics, certainly in my time.
Then you can have a go at ‘the people.’

6 Likes

It has been 20 years of miserable governments, not 10 years

1 Like

Some may argue it has been miserable since 1949.

Noonan would know !

Vote Mac back!

That should get your blood pressure going.

1 Like

While both major parties are falling over themselves to sternly impose indefinite prison camp sentences for the crime of being the kid of a refugee, and bringing back the guillotine for strawberry tampering, sentence was passed today on the guy who systematically poisoned 406 wedge-tailed eagles (at least) in Gippsland over the course of years.

He got 14 days in jail and a $2500 fine. 50 minutes and $6 per eagle.

1 Like

That is completely farked.

1 Like

Did he barrack for Collingwood?

Seriously though, it’s a joke ‘punishment’ and he should have had the book thrown at him

2 Likes

Big Mac, your DLP mate or Black Farmer Mac

they caught that guy, thank fark for that. i remember seeing the article a few months back and it saying the penalty was $7500 at least? what an absolute disgrace. what is their endangered status?

The one the slogan was for…Francis Patrick McManus.

Least concern on the mainland. Incredible to think though that this guy would have single-handedly wiped out potentially a third of the Tasmanian population (where it is endangered) if he’d done it here.

doesn’t make it any better, but at least the population is likely to recover.

i wonder why they are not appealing. i’d go full deportation, never to return.

1 Like

I don’t think they’re endangered officially (the tassie subspecies is though), I think they’re listed as vulnerable or something like that. But they’re certainly protected.

More I read into this the more depressing it is.

Turns out that the guy who was charged as a farm laborer, The killings only came to light because he was arguing with his boss about something unrelated, and in order to get the landowner in trouble, the laborer (Silvester) went to DELWP to tell them about the poisoning. DELWP then investigated, but only Silvester was charged, and at sentencing he got off lightly because he’d pleaded guilty.

So in summary:

• this crime would have never been uncovered if the criminal didn’t come forward voluntarily and confess, DELWP had not even the remotest idea it was happening before it was dumped in their laps
  • DELWP only charged the informant, not anyone who the informant informed on. Way to encourage other informants to come forward
  • the max fine is something in the order of $7500 per killing. So I think the fine laid was 0.08% of the possible maximum (which is around $300k). But DELWP are talking it up as a mighty triumph because he spends a fortnight in jail. Apparently this is the first time EVER that anyone’s been jailed for a wildlife offence. Even that guy a couple of years back who beat half a dozen fairy penguins to death with a stick got a good behavior bond
  • apparently the judge said he’d have gotten 3 months jail if he hadn’t pleaded guilty. But again, what happened to the guys he informed on? I’m trying to get my hands on the judgement so I can check it out, but I’m cynical enough to believe DELWP could have very easily decided to throw the book at the laborer (who is conveniently a foreigner and has already confessed) and go easy on the landowner rather than risk ruffling any feathers.

This is so ■■■■■■■ depressing. I’ve got a lot of wildlife rehabber mates and they’d spend more of their own money raising one animal than this prick gets penalised for casually offing hundreds of them.

I know that in at least one Victorian men’s prison, the inmates do rehab for injured birds of prey. I hope they send this ■■■■■■ to that prison and tell his blockmates what he’s in for.

1 Like

We have a family member in Tassie who is a zookeeper, and he rehabs injured raptors at the moment. That prick should have got years.

2 Likes