Australian Politics, Mark II

First election I ever worked at was in 1969 in the seat of Scullin for Dr Harry Jenkins. I was at West Heidelberg Primary School on election day handing out how-to-vote cards. It was a strong catholic area, and the DLP got a primary vote of about 15%. Senator Frank was there with some very big Grouper mates and they were very threatening to me and us skinny little Labor boys, calling us Commos.

But along came a bloke called Norm Gallager, who was a Commo, but a friend of Harry Jenkins. He words stuck in my memory, “watch you skinny Labor prikks, I will show you how a Unionist deals with rabid dogs” He stepped over the fence, the punched the Groupers until they ran away, Frank McManus who was in his sixities and a big man, was last to run but even he was vanquished by Big Norm.

1 Like

3 Likes

Isla Nublar?

1 Like

I have no problem with being called old. Mrs Fox does but reality has never worried me.

Commo thugs! That’s why Bob and Frank were so keen to keep the Commos out of the trade unions.

1 Like

“…give me five bees for a quarter, you’d say. Now where were we…”

My mum thinks Scott Morrison is “getting things done”. We’re in trouble.

2 Likes

I’m getting sick of seeing him touring the country every night on the news

Going to be seeing it for another 7 months. Or, until they’re in front in the polls.

Scullin was at the time the safest Labor seat in the country.

An acquaintance of my father’s set up the Preston branch of the Liberal Party. There was so little interest from the locals that he had to sign up his and his mate’s dogs as members.

(That may be where Hawthorn got the idea of pet memberships from).

2 Likes

Actually Albert in 1969, Labor got just 52% of primary vote. Over the years the DLP vote dropped and the Labor vote went into the 60%

Is your mother into magicians? He is so busy pulling rabbits out of hats.

It’s that vague kinda “I dunno, it just seems like he’s getting things done” nebulous thinking of the average swing voter. When I pointed out the aged care thing only happened because they were getting the jump on the expose and they had refused up until then, and, Morrison was responsible as treasurer for pulling $2b out of aged care she seemed sceptical about my info. The snow job is working a treat in the electorate.

1 Like

Could be worse I suppose, Just imagine him plucking hares from his backside.

3 Likes

boom boom.

Yeeuw - that image oesn’t bear thinking about.

As to ScoMo’s latest dead cat bounce on Australia Day, why doesn’t he just come out with the fact that it is the date of Australia’s foundation as a convict settlement

3 Likes

Or the date of when the Poms rolled up, completely discounted the people living here for 60 plus thousand years, … declared the joint uninhabited and said “We’ll have this Guvnor! Thanks very much!”

How to steal a Country 101 - 1700’s Edition.

I really don’t understand all the Australia Day stuff. Surely the correct date for Australia Day is Jan 1, the date of federation. Before then there was no Australia. I understand people wouldn’t like it because they’d lose out on a public holiday, but that is the only date that makes sense.

2 Likes

Do you think the Boer War counts as an Australian thing?
How about the VFL?