Australian Politics, Mark II

Of course they are proposing higher taxes its their firm policy not conspiracy.

• Not have as big corporate tax cuts
  • Remove negative gearing on houses
  • Reduce capital gains discount on housing
  • Whatever they do with Carbon

You can argue the merits of these proposals and it obviously will allow for more funding of social programs, but they are proposing a higher taxing government.

This link is pretty detailed policy document on their proposal for housing.
https://www.alp.org.au/negativegearing

Remember when it was important for the government to collect more money than it spent?

Donā€™t worry, it will trickle down really really soon.

8 Likes

Im sure it will be really, really important again Day 1 after Labor wins.

4 Likes

But that will mean ā€œless money in your pocket!ā€

*less money in some billionairā€™s Cayman account.

1 Like

Come on.

A carbon tax and removal of negative gearing would definitely result in ordinary middle class Australians paying more tax. Millions of average Australians have an investment property. To argue it only impacts the filthy rich is disingenuous.

But by implementing these policies we might get a) a fairer and less risk prone housing market and b) price signalling over carbon to reduce emissions.

The policies can be good and still have a hip pocket effect. Politicians and others just need to get better at arguing the need for reform.

1 Like

Agreed that itā€™s important for a government to be able to implement policy that will have price impacts, otherwise policymaking is just a neverending spiral of tax cuts into either national bankruptcy or the removal of every public service. Especially when thereā€™s so many egregious loopholes in tax laws etc that really should be closed, even though the closing of them will impact the hip pockets of those whoā€™ve made $ from those loopholes for years.

Iā€™m pretty skeptical of the ā€˜investment properties are owned by average australiansā€™ line though. Iā€™ve heard it a lot, but I donā€™t think the numbers really add up. From the 2011 census, 7.9% of Australians own investment property. The average net income (so income after tax, including the tax break for negative gearing) for investment property owners is over $100k/yr. The average pre-tax full-time wage in Australia is around $84k. If you own an investment property, youā€™re most likely WELL above average, financially.

3 Likes

Just from observation I know tradies, teachers, retirees as well as better off professionals that own investment properties. Yes the average wages would be higher, but this is pretty obvious given the average Australian wage includes people that couldnā€™t afford their own house, so it has to be higher.

At 8% of Australians your looking at 2 million people out of 25 million. But children and pensioners are unlikely to have an investment property that cuts out a big chunk of the population. Then the 8% is from tax returns, a couple may own the investment property but include the deductions on one persons tax return (thus missing the true number of people who have the property).

Iā€™d like to see the stat on % of working population(including partners). If its 20-30% it starts to look different.

I believe a high proportion of investment property is owned by retirees (which only makes sense, theyā€™re the ones whoā€™ve had the most time to save up to buy it). But most self-funded retirees have a low taxable income due to the generous tax treatment of income from super etc, which does skew the stats.

2 Likes

You may be right there.

Even though the zero tax from superannuation products after 60 benefits me, I wouldnā€™t be sorry to see that income become taxable again, but probably with a higher tax-free threshold or rebates.

That would largely eliminate the issue with refund of franked dividends too, because there would now be taxable income to offset them against.

I still think there should be significant tax benefits to superannuation benefits, because they reduce or remove the OAP, but the limits on concessional contributions should control that.

1 Like

Why should ordinary Australians subsidise the privately-owned investment properties of entrepreneurs ? You want an investment property ? Fine. But pay for it yourself: donā€™t fund it from my taxes. Negaitve gearing is for greedy leeches bludging on hard-working Australian battlers.

9 Likes

One of my favourite bits from an interview.
Journalist: You have two houses.
John Lydon: Yes?
Journalist: Itā€™s more than most people have.
John Lydon: Itā€™s one more than most people have.

Fair enough, too.
You can have tax breaks for One investment property.
Donā€™t give me the poor you for any more than that.

3 Likes

You know Labors policy is to Grandfather existing NGā€™d properties, right?

So, there would be no extra Tax paid.

What Carbon Tax?

3 Likes

Which is actually worse for me.

Boomers keep their tax breaks which I want get a chance to enjoy.

From a tax law stance, removing negative gearing poses some interesting issues.
Rental income is assessable income for tax purposes, and a general principal is that expenditure incurred in deriving income is deductible.
So to disallow negative gearing do this mean the rent received remains assessable but expenses not deductible? Or do you disallow just interest paid on borrowing? If so, what about interest on loans where business borrows to acquire assets? Reckon disallowing rental deductions as a whole or a specific type of deduction would lead to that law being challenged through to the High Court.

Or do you make rent income not assessable and hence eliminate deductions? Again hardly a solution.

Good luck to any politician trying to sell and then implement the removal of negative gearing whatever the economic merits of doing so.

I would urge anyone concerned about Neg Gearing to fully investigate and understand what Labor Policy is, and what they are actually proposing.

There will be no extra Tax, and they are not simply ā€œremovingā€ it.

1 Like

Wentworth is done and dusted.

Late counted postals breaking in Pheleps favour.

Dr Bonham:

Wednesday 5:30 Provisionals broke 58.4% to Phelps (246-175) so her lead expands slightly again. I donā€™t expect the margin (currently at 1643) to change by more than a few hundred from here.

Wednesday 2:00 Another batch of just over 500 postals has been counted and Phelps (narrowly) won them, though I donā€™t have the exact figures. I have mentioned before that late postals tend to split more weakly for conservatives but here we are seeing a rate of change from early to late postals that Iā€™ve never seen before. It is unclear whether Sharma will make further gains from here at all.

At Senate Estimates Wong got it out of Defence Chief that the media were briefed on consideration of the Jerusalem move and withdrawal of support of the Iran deal BEFORE Defence.
I take it from that that our Embassies and Consulates in the Middle East were also informed after the media. He put their lives at risk and their capacity to perform their functions has been irretrievely damaged.

10 Likes

Yeah, but he needed the Jewish vote in Wentworth so its all g

2 Likes

We are being governed by people in big shoes with squirty lapel flowers.

10 Likes