Australian Politics, Mark II

Nah its just a general comment.

I don’t like cynicism attached to some of this stuff.

Fwiw my perception of Foley is that he is a grub.

Not true boot, it was a Dem pollie who first broke it because Ford had quietly said she thought it was Kavanaugh. Ford didn’t chase this but ran with it after it was released to the public.

There is also the case of Anita Hill’s complaint against Clarence Thomas before he was appointed to the Supreme Court by Bush senior. He scraped through the Senate but I don’t recall that the opposition was politically driven. I thought the Dems were embarrassed about being seen to oppose a black candidate.

The timing of this is horrible with our recent plans to attempt to return to Melbourne

1 Like

I don’t think this ■■■■■■■■ should keep his job. Regardless of political leanings you can’t be that complaisant. It’s terrible if somebody has used it for political gain but the outcome is still correct.

Not sure it suits your intellectually brilliant partner, but if these changes happen, Federation Uni at Ballarat will have opportunities in many fields, and so too will Deakin in Geelong.

In my experience there has not been a Federal Government who actually understand Higher Education. Liberals think is should all be User pays and Universities should raise most of their own funding. Labor likes expanding Universities so everyone has opportunity.

Both seem to not understand the importance of our top 10 Learned Institutions; they set the standards that all should strive for. While there is some good research done at Regional Universities many of the PHD candidates are doing useless theses, and many just do not have the grey matter to do the required work.

I do understand your pain though beni, the dearth of Environmental research is a disgrace.

1 Like

2nd time a cut has directly impacted us in 4 years

1 Like

What that excerpt doesn’t factor in is whether the assaulted person will co-operate with the prosecution - No co-operation means the police are less likely to recommend charges and if it makes it to OPP they will have misgivings - It’s not black and white.

Hence why “based on the evidence collected during the investigation” is the key part of the quote. Victims cannot simply choose to give offenders a free pass as you suggested & family violence is the easiest area to see why. Stockholm syndrome is another reason why its up to the police & OPP to decide if charges are warranted.

Not sure if anyone can confirm if a spouse can be subpoenaed to give evidence against their partner. I know that used to get a run in some US movies but not sure if it ever had relevance here.

reminder to those wanting to opt of myhealth, do it before tomorrow! opts out close after then.

1 Like

Done and dusted Mr Elevation.

2 Likes

By two votes, Senate has knocked back Labor proposal to extend opt-out by 12 months. Labor now trying for 31 January extension.

2 Likes

“Guy’s $89m terror pledge includes ankle tags and CBD ban for suspects”

That’ll work well won’t it? Terrorists banned from the CBD, but at liberty to frequent the suburbs and country-side.

Guess that’s what the LNP is usually about - brainless ideas

3 Likes

So… they can go to crown, the MCG? Richmond station?

LELberals.

Senate has agreed to 31 Jan opt-out, but the bill needs to go to the House, which is not scheduled to sit until 26 November. Limbo land.

1 Like

Then, the My Health site stops functioning.

I opted out.

It made sense to be political.

“Hey we’re about to give this bloke a lifetime gig as one of the most powerful judicial individuals in the country. Anyone got any objections?”
“Uh yeah, just one…”

1 Like

$89m flies in the face of their ads telling me no one can afford ALP’s taxes

1 Like

What about the Federal advertising for retirees and staying in their homes that hasn’t even been approved or got off the ground?