Australian Politics, Mark II

Except they waited until Trump announced him before they actually decided to do anything about. They sat on it for months which indicates they clearly had no intention of using it until he was nominated. The release was political, not done for concern for Ford at all.

Yeah I know.

I didn’t say right/wrong/agree/disagree, just that it made sense.

1 Like

I voted today!

Most political thing ever said in this thread.

Can I suggest to @bacchusfox that perhaps on the labor home page the how to vote card link should be a bit more prominent given people have started voting?

Also there should be rule that a party can’t be named based on one issue. There were quite a few of them on the upper house ballot.

1 Like

It’s more the fact that the names are deliberately misleading (or at least incomplete) that bugs me. The LDP is running under an ambiguous name and is desperately hoping liberal voters will vote for them by mistake (and they’ve been kissed on the ■■■■ by the luck of the ballot paper position draw AGAIN so there’s a fair chance another Leyjonhelm will donkey-vote his way into power), and similarly the DLP are calling themselves the Labour DLP Party or something and desperately hoping ALP voters will get confused. The ‘Sustainable Australia’ party is single-issue anti-immigration. ‘Health Australia’ are antivaxxers. ‘Transport Matters’ is the taxi lobby, so if you’re hoping they’ll be motivated to improve public transport, you’d be wrong. And i don’t know the story behind ‘Hudson for Northern Victoria’, but I’m sure it would be interesting given Josh Hudson is from Tatura and if they’re all about Northern Victoria why the hell are they running candidates in Eastern Metro?

5 Likes

I appreciate that.
LMW’s first election and we’ve just discussed this.

Article in news.con.au about desperate farmers in the drought. Apparently good ol’ Scotty Morrison has intervened in a charity’s funding to “boost” it to help so many more poor farmers. Seriously, where do these people get off?

1 Like

Has all that praying brought rain?

1 Like

Yes. It’s raining money taken from the unemployed and the old and infirm.

5 Likes

On principle I agree with you, but giving anyone the power to approve/deny anything regarding the democratic process (including party names) is a road we shouldn’t ever go down.

I just really really enjoy no longer having to number all the boxes below the line any more. No spending 15min at the cardboard booth agonising over which of those peanuts to put last.

I used to boost chewy and lollies from the milk bar across the road from school. I think that’s the meaning employed here.

1 Like

Some would argue that Liberal, Labor and Greens all use their party name with a far degree of “tongue in cheek”

2 Likes

Oops, … one of the Lib Candidates forgot they are not supposed to talk about the underlying racism of the Party in Public.

See ya.

abc.net.au

‘They made it into something it’s not’: Liberal candidate resigns over anti-Muslim video

ABC Radio Melbourne By Dan Harrison

5-6 minutes

Updated about 3 hours agoThu 15 Nov 2018, 5:54pm

The Liberal Party candidate for a marginal seat in Melbourne’s north has resigned after featuring in an anti-Muslim video for a rival political party.

Key points:

• Liberal leader Matthew Guy says the party sought Ms Klein’s resignation after discovering the video
  • Ms Klein says she withdrew to avoid damaging the Liberal Party
  • The video was posted by the Australian Liberty Alliance, which is also running in the seat

Meralyn Klein quit as the Liberal candidate for Yan Yean after appearing in an online video, which calls for an end to Muslim immigration.

In the video, posted by the Australian Liberty Alliance, Ms Klein tells right-wing activist Avi Yemini about her experience of being attacked by two teenage boys in a Greensborough park several years ago.

“They were of a culture that didn’t accept white Australian women,” Ms Klein says in the video, before the text “They were Muslim” is shown on screen.

“It’s disappointing to say, but I think there are people in this country who are not coming here to get the best out of the country and to give the best that they can,” she says in the video.

“I’d like to see us look at immigration overall,” she says, before text calling for a ban on Muslim immigration is shown on screen.

The video is posted on YouTube with the title “Muslims BASH and threaten to RAPE politician”.

‘Grossly inappropriate’, Guy says

Interviewed on ABC Radio Melbourne, Ms Klein denied she was anti-Muslim.

“I made a short video on crime in Australia, in Victoria, the crime that happened to me,” she said.

"That video was taken by an individual, given to the Australian Liberty Alliance, to which I have no association and they made it into something it’s not.

"I am not anti-Muslim. They gave me no opportunity to look at the video, which was supposed to be about crime.

“I embrace all cultures within our country.”

Ms Klein said she had withdrawn as the Liberal candidate to avoid damaging the party.

“I have no interest in putting the Liberal Party in any danger of having anything done to them that might injure the Liberal Party in any way,” she said.

Opposition Leader Matthew Guy said the video was “grossly inappropriate”, particularly as it was for another political party, which the Liberal Party was preferencing last.

“We asked for her resignation within an hour of finding out and we got it,” he said.

Yan Yean, which covers several parts of Melbourne’s northern fringe, including Whittlesea, Mernda, Doreen and Hurstbridge, is held by Labor’s Danielle Green on a margin of 3.7 per cent.

The Australian Liberty Alliance is running candidate Siobhann Brown in the seat, as well as candidates in every Upper House race.

The party promises to stop the “Islamisation” of Australia, including by introducing a 10-year ban on visas for people coming from 57 Muslim-majority countries.

Former One Nation senator Fraser Anning delivered the keynote address at the party’s state election campaign launch.

Senator Anning quit One Nation within hours of being sworn in and joined Katter’s Australia Party, but was kicked out of that party last month after he proposed a ban on Muslim migrants.

Klein the latest of several candidates to pull out

Ms Klein is the second candidate the Liberal Party has lost during the campaign, after Upper House hopeful Neelam Rai.

Ms Rai pulled out after a newspaper revealed she had been the face of an unregistered charity, with the party saying she “failed to disclose a number of issues of relevance” on her preselection nomination form.

Labor has also lost two candidates.

Its original candidate for Melton, Justin Mammarella, withdrew citing family reasons.

Its candidate for Bayswater, Peter Lockwood, dropped out a day later, citing a health issue and the desire to spend time with his grandchildren.

Two weeks ago, Greens Upper House candidate Joanna Nilson quit after it emerged she posted tips on Facebook about how to shoplift, and made derogatory comments about Liberal senator Michaelia Cash.

The Greens have come under pressure in recent days to dump its candidate for the seat of Footscray, Angus McAlpine, over sexist and homophobic lyrics he rapped as a member of a hip hop crew.

Mr McAlpine this week apologised for the “reprehensible” lyrics, telling reporters he had written them as a “stupid and moronic” young man but had since changed.

The Greens candidate for Sandringham, Dominic Phillips, also apologised this week for “liking” as a teenager several Facebook pages that were racist or degrading to women.

Topics: state-elections, government-and-politics, elections, islam, community-and-society, religion-and-beliefs, melbourne-3000, yan-yean-3755, greensborough-3088, vic

First posted about 11 hours agoThu 15 Nov 2018, 10:16am

I still reckon guide to shoplifting lady should have stayed in

3 Likes

Social housing does not seem to be on the election agenda, but the wait list is awful.

2 Likes

I have just decided my mum needs a new Tele, who is idiot guy

Do they come with a free Sky TV subscription?

Sky TV gives new meaning to the words Parental Lock System.

4 Likes

Something fishy going on…Abbott and Howard have both come out supporting the moving of the Israeli embassy.

Weird timing after it all just calmed down a few days ago. Is there’s something else they are trying to keep off the front page?

2 Likes

Going by Shanahan’s report in the Australian, Howard is more nuanced. He is running the sovereignty line of not being swayed by what Mahatir says ( they have history).
I read his comments as trying to get Morrison off the hook - make the decision in the context of Australia’s national interest, don’t quote what foreign governments are saying. And there is no quid pro quo from the US or Israel in moving the Embassy.
If Australia is to to take a global view such as how Australia’s Embassy move might be conducive to the Middle East peace process, funny how no one mentions the the illegal settlements.

4 Likes

Yep, and abbot is for it because he is a giant ■■■■ stain

5 Likes