Australian Politics, Mark II

And all in less than three years

Well Grasshopper, … we once were governed by this egalitarian philosophy we termed “The Fair Go” …

5 Likes

And today leather jacket guy signed off on preferencing One Nation over the ALP. The NBN is dead, there’s no meaningful emission reductions measures in place, etc etc etc. Turnbull defeated Abbott by becoming Abbott.

5 Likes

‘trickle down effect’ has always been the biggest load of bullshit ever. Can’t believe people actually fall for this ■■■■ (not having a go at you). It’s been debunked by basically every economist worth their salt over the past couple of decades and we have around 100 years of empirical evidence to back it up.

4 Likes

It works exactly as intended

8 Likes

Didn’t spend all the cash on tax cuts for the already privileged.

2 Likes

EFA

Haha I think we’re in agreement!

1 Like

ok last bit BS maybe.

still think adding a subscription to the abc is a fine idea if it makes it even better. eg getting BBC drama first run, bid for aussie sports, more quality aussie shows, better radio and digital.

would want current funding locked in though for some subsidies.

1 Like

Oh so do you mean subscription on top of current funding? Premium content and whatnot. I could get behind that being an alternative to selling it off.

-edit- I’d be happy paying Spotify/Netflix rates for on-demand access to Triple J’s library of live gig recordings alone.

yes. ie. lock it in at a reasonable/sustainable rate of GDP for funding then make it subscription based.

subsidise subscriptions for pensioners/students/unemployed.

1 Like

And then the very first conservative government to come along would defund it on the grounds that it could exist in some form on subscriptions.

6 Likes

I don’t understand the initial complaint.
ABC online and newsmsn or whatever are not even remotely the same market.
Just because they both call it ‘news’ doesn’t make them the same thing.

2 Likes

And then because the ABC would be competing for the same dollars said government would send a rescue package to the current commercial broadcasters. A much more efficient use of public funds.

2 Likes

No, if it made any profit, they would privatise it.

Then pump more money into it anyway.

1 Like

Why can’t the ABC just drop unbiased and do 3 nights left, 3 nights right and 1 night whatever?

2 Likes

if it could survive on it’s own with just public subscriptions then that would be fantastic.

the government having not bankrolled it could not lean on it.

Because the three nights right wouldn’t be right enough and would be mistaken for left. The one night of “whatever” would also be taken to be left biased which would be evidence that it’s a left biased propaganda outlet. The three nights of left would be evidence that Joseph Stalin is indeed hiding under all of our beds at night.

4 Likes

I watch ABC news shows almost exclusively. I’m no left-winger by any stretch of the imagination but I find the ABC is unbiased. Their people do have a remarkable distaste for the Duttons and Abbotts of this world, as any decent person should.

But they’re not left-wingers either…not the ones I watch, anyway. I don’t know what Tom Ballard and Tonightly are like, and I never watch Q&A.