Australian Politics, Mark II

Victorian Branch ALP has a new policy on fund-raising which is in response to the amendments to the Victorian Electoral Act by Andrews Government last year. Our Branch reckons it is over-kill but it makes life very hard to rorts donations. Most States have these type of Laws; Federally it is very much easier to rort.

Victorian Electoral Commission Compliance Policy and Procedure

Purpose

Amendments to the Victorian Electoral Act 2002 have meant that the Victorian Branch of the ALP reviews procedures around the receipt of all monies received by State Office, Branches and SECCs. This Policy and Procedure does not affect Federal Electorate Assembly (FEA) and Federal Campaign accounts.

Policy:

ALP Victorian Branch acknowledges that amendments to the Victorian Electoral Act 2002 require a set of guiding principles in order to meet the requirements of the legislation and will work to achieve 100% compliance with the Act as amended

Principles:

The following principles will be established and adhered to by all Local Branches and

SECC units of ALP Victorian Branch

1. Citizenship:

Local Branches and SECCs may only accept money from Australian Citizens

2. Cash Payments:

Local Branches cannot accept cash apart from whip arounds for Venue Hire, or related costs (such as catering or advertising) for the purposes of Branch Meetings only. Individual receipts collected for this purpose are to be capped at $45.00.

Note: The collection of membership money is specifically excluded and can be collected as in prior years.

3. Fundraisers, including raffles:

(a) Can only be carried out with the approval of the State Secretary.

(b) Must be paid for by EFT, Cheque, or Credit/Debit Card, i.e. no cash.

© Must have receipts issued on the standard form and all payments must be transferred to an SECC Account (Local or Central). This intent of fund allocation will be made as part of the approval process in part (a).

(d) FEAs may not make donations to SECCs.

4. Donations:

*(a) Must be made by Credit/Debit Card, Cheque or EFT. No Cash is to be accepted. *

(b) A receipt must be issued.

©) All donations must be paid must be paid directly into an SECC Account (Local or Central)

5. Review of Policy to be conducted in 6 months.

Procedures:

Whilst Branch and SECC executives will retain control of their Bank accounts, the State

Secretary will maintain oversight of all relevant bank accounts.

The State Secretary will maintain a register of all deposits which may need to be declared and liaise with executives of Branches and SECCs to ensure compliance with the legislation.

The State Secretary will notify the Victorian Electoral Commission of donations requiring declaration.

The State Secretary will provide all relevant ALP Victoria units with support and information in order for the Branch to meet legislative requirements including a standard receipt template.

1 Like

Not sure if you mean Political Parties or EFC, but reckon it should apply to both.

Though my Politicians Mates would say that they listen all the time to what everyone says, but @benfti reckons money speaks louder than words; always the philosopher !

Why would these businesses ‘donate’ millions of dollars if they weren’t seeing some sort of return on their investment?

6 Likes

In one video released by the news network, Senator Hanson is secretly filmed saying she has “a lot of questions” about Port Arthur.

“An MP said it would actually take a massacre in Tasmania to change the gun laws in Australia,” Senator Hanson tells Rodger Muller, an Al Jazeera journalist who for three years pretended to be the leader of a fictitious firearm advocate group called Gun Rights Australia, an identity he established to infiltrate One Nation.

“Haven’t you heard that? Have a look at it. It was said on the floor of parliament.”

BTW Ashby then pulls out the 9/11 crap too.

The truely scary thing here is that this won’t stop the majority of PHON voters voting for them at them at the next election.

6 Likes

If the major parties don’t give them preferences, surely they’d be extinguished in one election?

Wait. This journo pretended for three years in order to show that One Nation would like to change the gun laws!? And people are shocked?

Lol. What a waste of time. Everyone already knew that’s part of their target voters.

Nope. They get quite enough first preference votes (in Qld in particular, but also in some places in NSW) to get into parliament on their own. And that’s not even counting the preferences they’d get from the likes of Katter and the Shooters and Fishers.

ALP has had One Nation right at the bottom of the preference list for a long time now. THe libs are more conflicted.

THe journo was originally intending to do a feature on the NRA, I believe. One Nation was kind of a sidetrack that happened almost by accident.

And the big news isn’t that One Nation would like to loosen gun laws, it’s that they tryied to get cash and cooperation from the NRA (whose reputation is awful, and with good reason) to do it.

Talking up the NRA’s post-massacre PR handbook and praising it to the skies didn’t help either

4 Likes

Hmm, yep, you’re right. The first couple of years was looking at the NRA, then One Nation got involved late.

I think the whole thing is a storm in a teacup, beyond the fact that it illustrates the real issue is Morrison being unable to put ON last on preferences.

Still not sold on who has to be last.

I mean Bernadi or Hanson or Shelton
 hmmm

I’d be worse then us deciding who to take with pick 1.

I’ve got Palmer in there for consideration
and I don’t like Dan Tehan either.

1 Like

Not quite, he wanted to infiltrate the NRA, and show how they try to rig politics, so he set up a fake pro gun lobby group from Australia so he could get into the inner circle of power brokers in the NRA to see how it was that fronted cash, the PHON involvement was just part of that operation and it’s not so much about the gun laws as it was about them trying to get large sums of money to with promises of policy influence. You know, the sort of thing BF says doesn’t happen. As far as I know they did the larger story in Al Jazeera and the PHON but was just part of it.

And then there’s the Australian Liberty Alliance and the Aussie Battlers Party, who reckon One Nation is too soft on the Musims. And the Australian Health Alliance, who are anti-vaxxers.

3 Likes

I’ve got a feeling Egg Boy is gonna get a few write in votes this year

2 Likes

Ashby suggested that the finance was needed to get One Nation representation in the lower houses, where they could have more influence. IIRC they have only ever gotten representation at that level in Queensland ( which is uni-cameral)
SFF is staying quiet, it did do a deal with ON about not contesting a seat or two in NSW. But they are not natural allies and SFF has been more moderate than the NRA would like. Liberal Democrats would be closer to the NRA.

BTW, what is Pauline doing about the measles invasion? Oh wait, it’s mostly only being brought in by whites and mostly white Australians at that. ( a lot of Asian tourists/ migrants have to be vaccinated to the Australian standard to get their visas)

Right? Take Trevor St Barker for example. In their short list of public funding for new energy generation the government have avoided new coal (because it’s insane and enough people realise that). Instead they’ve floated upgrading the old Vales Point coal spinner owned by said “large donor”. Money doesn’t buy policy at all.

At the very least money buys a seat at the table, sometimes quite literally a seat at the table.

1 Like

He went in deep with them too. All at the behest of the executive producer that came up with the idea. I’m a little concerned for their safety.