Australian Politics, Mark II

I think he is raising the issue of money being ‘donated’, I don’t think he has much of an issue with lobbying so long as money isn’t involved

1 Like

Must say I am buoyed by the fact there are enemies within looking to damage and hurt ScuMo, and exposing the prick for what he is in doing so.

It makes me feel a little bit of relief with the way Murfuch has been ramping up the bullshit already to try to squeeze this turd over the line.

1 Like

It’s also damaging to Hunt - who Morrison is pumping up. Julie Bishop’s mate is standing against him in Flinders.
Laundy claims he is not leaking. Turnbull keeping mum. Who knows what Abbott is up to.

2 Likes

We know Abbot is white anting someone, somewhere, laying the foundations for a comeback when the libs lose. He’ll then blame a whole heap of people for turning the Aus population against the libs and campaign for the leader Aus voters really wanted; himself. People will have only voted for Shorten coz Abbot’s not the leader.

Something along those lines. Fark I hope he loses his seat.

4 Likes

^ I hope so too. But the consolation prize is that if he gets re-elected he plays out your scenario.

Money is just one incentive used by lobbyists.

Power and fear are much more compelling.

You mean staying in Power, and the Fear of losing it??

Yup,… absolutely, … :smirk:

It’s quite amazing how Abbot cannot see how much damage he does to his own party. And as for the consolation prize, may he long continue such damage.

1 Like

I’m not surprised you don’t see what’s wrong with financial lobbying.

Exactly, I want the voices of an NGO being just as heard as a corporation.

1 Like

I am not really sure what you are whinging about.

I give money to many things because I support them, and I am not looking to influence or profit.

If I was to bribe for a favourable decision then that is a different and illegal act. Donations to Poltical Parties is not illegal, except in Victorian State Politics it has to come from an Australian Citizen or a Business with an ABN, and anything over $1000 must be reported.

If the AHA give the Labor Party a million bucks because they support their policy, then I say thank you.

I reckon since I have been an Essendon Member, I have outlayed a million bucks and I have got very little in return.

1 Like

I suspect The Canberra Labor Club- whose principal source of revenue is from pokies - may have contributed more to the ALP over the years than has the AHA.

The ones that really bother me are the big companies that donate to both the ALP and the libs. Cos (much as I would prefer it was otherwise) everyone knows that one or the other is going to be the next government. And donating to both is therefore all about purchasing access to power. There’s no political justfication for it, there’s no difference to the outcomes, it’s basically piling money on both ends of the seesaw. But it DOES let you come along to pollies later on no matter who wins and say hey, I’m a donor, help me out here.

That’s how (well, it’s one way) politics gets captured by big money and the little people get trampled on.

7 Likes

It’s a very fine line and sometimes the line cannot be clearly established.

I want to donate to help the cause is the same as I want to donate to the cause because I want the same outcome.

Donations to two or more parties - including by smaller businesses ( which is quite common) - can mean that you are higher up the queue of being listened to, by a party in opposition as well as in government. Local members would probably have a list of who has donated to their party.
There is a problem associated with the current system of declarations of donations at the federal level. IIRC, the recent series of fund raising lunches - at $12k a head - are not required to be declared. Nor are auction-type donations.
NSW has a ban on donations by developers. Sinodinis and a few others got caught out on this

You don’t need to test ONP, just give them a microphone. They remind me of my grandma’s favourite saying. “Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.”

2 Likes

Not many companies give to both major parties, (let alone Labor only) and when they do, they usually give 10x more to the Tories.

It would be good if they listened to their biggest donors once in every while. You know, us out here. If you look past all the the lobby groups you can see us out in the distance.

3 Likes

That and 'sunshine is the best disinfectant".

1 Like

And we wonder why pro environment legislation doesn’t get through easily

5 Likes