Australian Politics, Mark II

Jesus is not a myth though, he is historically a true person that wondered Gallie in 0BC… This is well known, ask any academic ancient history scholar.
Josephus, Tacitus are 2 ancient historian i can cite.
Sure, you disagree with that miracles occured or he came back from the dead… but to deny him existence even?

Was there a question?

Of course not, Science clearly shows us Evolution causes children’s cancer.
And as it is Evolution, it is amoral, so it is neither good nor bad that children get cancer. and there is no hope for the dead cancer kids.

So why your trying to make a point of moral outrage about childrens cancer being from God, yet the very thing responsible for it is cold and antithetic to your repulsion… it is quite astounding.

There was not.

1 Like

But I’ll bite on this one.
Why are you citing evolution as the indifferent cause to cancer when the premise clearly assumes an omnipotent, loving creator?

1 Like

Can we separate politics from religion?

Boom tish!

Please start a thread.

2 Likes

He has been out of mobile range a bit lately. Would not go on the 7.30 report tonight saying that they could source from the RN interview (lol) .Let’s see if he fronts at the Tamworth community forum with Littleproud tomorrow.

Shhhh

1 Like

At a guess six cans in or a bottle of red with a fresh one primed in his non phone hand. Honestly sounded like a dumb teenager trying to bluster his way through a debate with a smart adult. There were silences Karvelas allowed where you could hear his face twitch and the jaundiced eyes rolling around in his beetroot.

What is it with the advertising of politics at the footy yesterday.

Something to do with an election on May 18.

Just hijacking your post here since it talks about neg gearing, this isn’t really a response to you BSD

Had an interesting chat with my folks last night. I’m very much on the side of… well, “kill the rich”, so I guess stripping back any tax advantages for well-off folk fall under that. My parents are beneficiaries of neg gearing and to a very small extent franking credit malarky which I don’t really understand and will not bother to.

Their perspective is being told all through the 80s and 90s that the government is not going to look after you into retirement so you best start doing that yourself. Which is why they banked away a few properties. They are right on the verge of retirement, and their plan is to sell up a couple of their properties to look after themselves for the next 30ish years.

But if Labor get up and put in all these policies, it throws their plan they’ve spent two decades on into disarray. If the backside drops out of the market because no one is buying existing properties for investment any more, then their 30ish year may only be 20-25yrs worth. Or they panic-sell now and retire before they wanted to. Or they kick the can down the road and wait a few years for the market to recover.

They find it troubling because they know that generations below them are pretty much toast under existing financial/employment/environmental policies. They’ve been able to look after their parents in their twilight years, and they sure as sht know that my sisters and I have close to zero fkn chance of doing the same for them. In a quandary like they are in now most people will vote for self interest.

It certainly hasn’t changed my mind, but it was interesting to hear the story from their side.

Anyway, anecdotes do not data make. Down with capitalism.

5 Likes

Reaching out to the true blue dinky di onya cobber battler voters.

I for one would like to clarify that I am not in the “Kill the rich” camp.

Personally, I am in the “Eat the rich” group. Being a utilitarian, killing them would be a perfectly good waste of face meat.

2 Likes

Tell your parents not to worry.

IF negative gearing is restricted it will apply to FUTURE purchases, not their investments. This is called “grandfathering”.

It seems they have been the victim of scaremongering in the Murdoch press. You should inform them of what is really proposed not what will happen or what Murdoch lickspittles feverishly imagine will happen.

6 Likes

I think they’re concerned that their property values will drop a lot when they come to sell because of less demand due to removal of negative gearing.

3 Likes

Maybe there will be a spike in prices so they can see to investors getting onboard before the grandfathering deadline.

1 Like

Without wanting to criticise your parents, I do understand their concerns, surely they’ve done pretty well out of their properties?
I assume that even with the recent downturn, the capital growth and tax savings have covered the stamp duty and given them upwards of 5%pa?

I think you could a case forward that property values should be lower, and ‘did pretty well but not as amazing as we thought it was going to be’ isn’t much of an argument against that.

There will be winners and losers in everything, of course.

If we’re projecting 25 years ahead, then maybe more affordable housing now might make it possible for their children to support them later.

1 Like

Relatively boring election so far. Watergate may at least spice it up. Labor going the small target campaign whilst the coalition continually trip themselves up. The Scomo mid worship photo feels a little like the Latham handshake picture.

My house is surrounded by streets full of Michael Sukkar placards. Big ones too.

Creative graffiti suggestions welcome