Australian Politics, Mark II

I read one of those ABC Fact Check articles the other day about this issue and they painted Labor is being pretty decent and LNP pretty bad.

But that what I don’t get Bacchus, why don’t they keep repeating it, tell people to go and look it up if they don’t believe it.

1 Like

Are you farking kidding? Grow up

Are we comparing apples with apples here?
I mean I like a good Lib-kicking as much as anyone.
More, probably, come to think of it.
But if it was ‘really’ 20’s under Howard what was it ‘really’ under Keating?

Is this actual unemployment rates you are talking about or some other figure? Do you have anything to support that assertion because again a check of the official rates indicates a high of 11.2 percent in 1992.

I don’t disagree, assault is assault no matter who it is, maybe not prison, but whatever EggBoy got this bird should get, . but you’re taking the pizz to be referring to this arsewhole as a great man.

Sneaky slimy lying and now proven gutless scumbag con man.

Honestly, without the help of the propaganda org known as NewsCorpse none of these Libs bar maybe Turnbull would have gotten elected, or even be considered for Leadership.

I did say “since at least the Depression”.

1992 did come later than 1978-83.

Check the official rates for yourself. My figures are for official cash rates that are set by the reserve Bank and directly impact bank rates for home loans and savings interest.

I’m working and going entirely on memory.
Also, kind of in your corner for once so be nice.

2 Likes

There’s a reason why the Tories keep funnelling hundreds of millions of dollars into Rupert’s pockets. Do you think it is because they are “better economic managers”?

1 Like

And in 1992 the ALP were in government. If your position is that the highest unemployment post the depression equals poor management of the economy then that falls on to the ALP.

Treasury and the rba manage the economy not the politicians.

Biggest driver in interests rates has been inflation. You had double digit inflation and thus double digit interest rates in the 70’s to 90’s. It’s now sitting less than 1%. Sure government can nudge inflation with policies but really it’s a global phenomenon that happened around the world pretty consistently over the past 50 years.

‘The highest interest rates from 1982 were: Fraser government (when Mr Howard was treasurer), 21.4 per cent in April 1982; Hawke government, 19 per cent in December 1985 and Keating government, 7.9 per cent in December 1994.’

1 Like

Lastly on inflation, again facts and reality simply don’t support your bias. Inflation under Whitlam spiked significantly and was the highest it had been since 1952. Under Fraser/ Howard inflation trended down and that basic trend of down or flat continued most years since but once again were lower under Howard/ Costello than any of the other governments post 1962.

Do they? I bet you my home loan interest rate won’t go down when the reserve bank reduces rates due to the ubiquitous “increased funding costs”. Or the old trick of put them up just before the rate drop and then reduce the rate when reserve bank reduces their rate.

I think the banks will be happy to reduce rates at the moment.

3 Likes

2 Likes

An ironic burn from Scott.

You really should read what people have really written instead of responding to what you would like them to have written.

Or are you so attached to the Tories that you follow their tropes here too?