Bachar Houli

Agree, best game he’s played and was stiff to miss out on the NS. Was best on when it mattered and consistent there after. Dusty was quiet when the game was close and dominated when the game was well and truely over. And they call mark of the year a popularity contest!

On Bach. He’s main problem when with us was he was petrified of body contact. He would happily hot potato the footy if he had the slightest inkling he was to be tackled. With no thought about his team mate he just sold up the river. Annoyed the ■■■■ out of me. No doubt his disposal was elite and he read the ball well but if he did stay, I reckon we would have traded him anyway a few years later.

l saw Houli in action earlier in the year against the Roos. He linked up beautifully with Martin multiple times in that match, they found each other at will, and Bachar’s disposal especially by foot was / is elite. Well played today.

Bachar Houli was pretty damn good but give me Peter Bradbury anyday.

2 Likes

The way I remember it is richmond were only offering us a pick that was surplus to our needs, i.e. fourth rounder when we had four picks before that and only wanted to use for picks, but also not trading him meant they had to take him at psd which would then leave Hibberd for us.

The biggest issue was Knights refusing to play him even though he earnt games and the leadership group wanted him to be picked.

If we actually gave him a go he wouldn’t have left.

4 Likes

We also got rid of him. Doing so tore the fabric badly at the time.

As is the tragic story of his brother and how it was apparently dealt with. I think Bradbury is a much overlooked cog in that flag, ever reliable.

What happened?

I’m very happy for him. I thought he never got a fair go at Essendon, being dropped repeatedly even after playing good games. I wasn’t at all surprised that he finally decided that he wanted to leave, nor that since he’s been at Richmond he’s been an automatic selection. He was great yesterday, right from the first bounce, and was unlucky not to be named best on ground.

He also seems to be a fine person and I know personally that he comes from a fine family.

3 Likes

Someone here may know more accurately but his brother died in a car or truck accident and it wasn’t dealt with in the best manner. Peter Bradbury ended up at Collingwood.

Well done Bachar! A bit of a journey, much like Richmond itself.

Always like Bachar as a player and was sad when he left. He really had that mindset early on of trying to win the game and make things happen. Showed real temperament and maturity when others around him were losing their heads early. Great leader of their club.

1 Like

He was always badly handled at Essendon.
Never got a game when he deserved it, and when he was put in the team, he was quickly dropped back.
Hird really desperately tried to get him to stay, but by then it was too late.
A really good (not great) player who really should still be a Bomber.

3 Likes

Lol. He would have been the EFC whipping boy for the last 6 year.

2 Likes

Give him a lot of stick but he was pretty good yesterday. Unlucky not to get the Norm Smith.

5 Likes

If Dusty played a half good game in a winning side he was always going to get the Norm Smith. It makes a far better story that the boy with criminal deported father makes good rather than the token Muslim. The AFL is nothing if not predictable.

1 Like

legit the first half of the game martin hardly had an effective disposal. from about half way through the 3rd when the game was over and adelaide gave up on trying to pressure him, he (surprise surprise) had a good game.

honestly more ■■■■■■ about martin getting the norm smith than I am richmond winning the GF, for me its just absolute confirmation that the AFL wants to stage manage everything, create stories out of nowhere

massive kudos to houli who played a great game

8 Likes

Thanks mate

1 Like

Houli’s debut for us was spectacular, he was absolutely everywhere off the flank and wing, 20 something touches won the rising star nomination and best on ground and we stiffed Norf by ten goals in Knights’ first game in charge.

Good times were definitely ahead!

Complete tosh.

And how is Houli a token Muslim? It would’ve been a great story if he won the Norm Smith.

3 Likes

That was his 2nd season. Debuted in a loss against Norf under Sheedy the year before.

1 Like