Back to the MCG

I’m not sure if this has been previously covered, if is so feel free to delete.

There would have to be around 60k at the hawthorn vs Swans game tonight, numbers we can’t compete with while under the roof. Surely membership numbers would increase with a move back to the “G”. It’s no fluke to see the hawks, pies and tigers overtake us in membership numbers in the last
decade.

I’m aware we are contracted to etihad, but I believe Sheeds was very keen to steal the G back from Collingwood, just not sure how.

2 Likes

Membership numbers are full of ■■■■. Collingwood has apparently 80k members, yet have only got over 80k in attendance once (ANZAC day)

Hawthorn has over 60,000 members and tonight there was only 63k and their members area (southern stand, FP to HBF) was only 50% full.

Moving back to the 'G might give us an extra 5k in membership, but will the MCC pay us as much as the owners of etihad do?

Moot point really, we’ve still got 10 years to run on our agreement with Ethihad.

Moot point really, we've still got 10 years to run on our agreement with Ethihad.
If ownership of Etihad changes early, as hinted, you know there will be renegotiations. Mind you, there’s so many clubs bleeding tens of millions of dollars every year that the AFL may not see it as a priority.

However, I agree we are unlikely to get a better deal for our little games, and to be honest I prefer watching said little games there.

2 Likes
Membership numbers are full of ■■■■. Collingwood has apparently 80k members, yet have only got over 80k in attendance once (ANZAC day)

Hawthorn has over 60,000 members and tonight there was only 63k and their members area (southern stand, FP to HBF) was only 50% full.

Moving back to the 'G might give us an extra 5k in membership, but will the MCC pay us as much as the owners of etihad do?

Is the etihad deal that good?

Sheeds is really pushing the club to be the first to crack the 100k membership mark and that don’t happening at Etihad.

Agree that low profile games should be played at etihad, like Collingwood.

Never should have left the G in the first place, we have been getting gradually worse since.

Just like the Cardies leaving Leederville. Big mistake.

■■■■ the G we should play at our own ovals

40k essendon home games v interstate teams are awesome though, with the roof on it’s just an essendon pressure cooker

in the early 2000’s i think we had a streak at the dome that lasted ages, maybe why our players can’t handle normal grass football anymore, but still, we have a good record there and for a team choc full of lazy apathetic players we want the smallest home ground possible

Reckon we need a home match fixture where we play all Melbourne sides at home at the MCG
Rest at Etihad

We are the AFL’s big club that anchors Etihad. We would not be released from out contract come hell or high water.

Spiritual home.

Can’t believe that East Perth and Subi share it now…sacrilegious.

hawthorn has 60 + k members yet they still have to sell games to tassy ?

and like it or not the smaller seat stadium seems to fit the way the club wants to go. Less seats mean you can charge higher to get to more games, or risk not being able to get a seat. can’t do that at the g

and like it or not the smaller seat stadium seems to fit the way the club wants to go. Less seats mean you can charge higher to get to more games, or risk not being able to get a seat. can’t do that at the g

I’m of the understanding Hawthorn has a long term deal. I just can’t see us exceeding more than 60k members whilst at Etihad…

On a side note, watching the game now with the roof open is a joke! Players struggling with the sun at the one end.

I’m of the understanding Hawthorn has a long term deal. I just can’t see us exceeding more than 60k members whilst at Etihad…

On a side note, watching the game now with the roof open is a joke! Players struggling with the sun at the one end.

so do we sadly, the long term deal part.

I’m not against your idea or that, Just in what was it 2010/11, the club took the view it’s membership was more about charging more from a smaller base, than charging less across a bigger base. The examples that were thrown around at the time were based on american sports and epl etc.

While it sucks for supporters, for the club i can see it making sense, but it fails on one front, sheer lack of actual population numbers.

So while eddie and Kennett can wank themselves in the media over how grea their supporter bases are ( and there are serious question marks about the legitimacy of all of their “registered” supporters, think of the simpsons ep where side show bob was elected mayor) at the end of the day, it’s about making the most money out of the supporter base, not number of supporters.

the ■■■■ hit the fan with the asada crap obviously so it’s more been about presenting a united front with the membership numbers the last few years, but aside from that, i can’t see us going back to the MCG full time.

hahah good Simpsons reference

Spiritual home.

Went to a derby there a couple of years ago. East Perth Eagles home game.

Felt crook.

Felt better when the Cardies got up.

Spiritual home.

Felt crook.

It really is a topsy turvy world when West Perth are the away team in a Perth Derby at Leederville.
Spiritual home.

Felt crook.

It really is a topsy turvy world when West Perth are the away team in a Perth Derby at Leederville.
It's worse than that. It's a disgrace.

I don’t care how many flags they’ve won whilst based at Joondalup. Worst decision in the club’s history. Worst.

Fill out the survey every week, if only to answer YES, to the question: would you rather this game to have been at the MCG!.