Back to the MCG

There’s also the problem of the club/AFL telegraphing to supporters which matches are worthwhile attending. Every season the AFL decides what 4 games - typically the largest in terms of attendance - will be at the MCG. So we are expected to think these are marquee games. On the flip side, it means the other games with play at the minnow stadium are games the AFL/club thinks are less desirable.

1 Like

It was a dollar decision. It was not a football decision.

It was also a ■■■■ decision. It’s a ■■■■ ground.

1 Like

Thanks for replying. A couple of questions.

You mention “the next Docklands contract”. What is that? What is our current obligation regarding playing at Docklands? When does that obligation end? And when it does end, what further obligations (if any) do we have?

Can’t really answer any of that sorry, but I will say this - I’m pretty excited about what is planned in the upgrade of the stadium.

Just move back to the “G”
Don’t worry about what they offer you it’s not worth it.

Glad to hear the desire to increase the G split remains, thanks for sharing.

We haven’t won a final in almost 15 years with a final ladder position higher than 7-8th not obtained. Strongly suspect crowds would be significantly higher in any top 4 finishing year but its something our performance has not allowed us to see in a long time.

Our crowds in a premiership quality year are a sleeping giant. I also think games at the G get higher crowds by default with games against Geelong at both grounds an example of this.

Really hope the split gets better than it currently is in the short term and in the long term having almost 11 games either home or away at the G across the 22 games as that’s where a club as large as Essendon belongs.

Atmosphere is very poor at the Dome an example being even the winning game against the Crows where first three quarters it was quite drab until an explosion in the last. The G has a unique buzz about it throughout a game that makes it a pleasure to view Essendon games.

3 Likes

See… I think the ‘atmosphere’ thing is a bit of a furphy. When we as supporters are at full flight at Etihad the ground is electric. It takes a lot more at the MCG.

Just my opinion though. Completely agree that the MCG has a unique ‘buzz’ or feel to it though. This weekends game is my favourite of the entire fixture and I’m so happy that we will have 85k+ there.

10 Likes

News to me, they were all in the bottom of the Ponsford and thats about it from what I experienced.

1 Like

Have no strong opinions on Etihad as a venue to attend but it looks so outdated on tv. Tired even.

Thank Peter Jackson for this.

The year he made the decision to move we were pulling crowds at the MCG as big as Collingwood in there Grand Finals years and Richmond atm if not bigger.

What kind of a moron decides a club who’s just come off drawing 62k v Sydney and 55k v West Coast should play its home games at a 50k capacity stadium, and knowing full well we’d be playing the like of Geelong there which was a big drawing fixture for Essendon in the 90’s??

Love going to the MCG whether its 80k this week or 40k on a wet Saturday arvo.

13 Likes

Etihad fkn sucks. There’s a reason I don’t go to games there. No decent pubs around. No atmosphere. Generally sh*t opponents

7 Likes

This. If Im going to watch us get turned over by Brisbane every year at least let me watch it with all the fkn elements of the weather and playing in a historic venue.

3 Likes

I dont mind the stadium.
Looking for a beer in Docklands? Might as well be Chernobyl

1 Like

Etihad is a fantastic stadium with good seats and a superior atmosphere to the G, and it’s warmer. And I’m a MCC member who loves the G.

2 Likes

not wrong. convenient is about its only positive.

Maybe you should try your couch. There’s a waiting list for memberships though but it’s worth it- the hot chocolates are to die for!

1 Like

Huh?

Just joking re your warmer comment. Not usually something people worry about with the footy :slight_smile:

I have to agree with others though. There is no atmosphere. Although it is more likely a sign of the times- footy is marketed as entertainment, and value for money.

It’s a different mindset from when I was young when you went along for a great day at the footy, win lose or draw you supported your team and left happy. Great seats, a pie, funny characters in the crowd, the footy record for under $1 that you could stick in your pocket.

Now it’s a well oiled machine designed to eek maximum $ from your pocket. And when the game or clubs performance fails to driver on the marketing hype in the lead up week? Well, you leave unsatisfied.

Etihad is one big advertising concrete complex. The G, (although it has advertising as well) due to its surrounding parks, old train station and its sheer size doesn’t seem quite like the advertising juggernaut Etihad is. It’s a break from the digital world we live in. Many people love going to local footy and VFL. You have to ask why? When there are empty seats to the greatest show on earth.

Whilst not every game will get these massive 85-90k crowds like we are all fortunate enough to have this saturday, the ability to pull 50-60k to games against some of the bigger interstate clubs at the G is something well within our grasp.

The supporters have shown that even if the club is almost made to break we wont go anywhere and have responded in kind with higher than ever membership numbers.

I understand even the likes of Pies/Tigers need to play home games at Etihad but I sincerely hope that the split of MCG/Dome games becomes closer to 7-4 or higher.

Appreciate you sharing your thoughts, hope to hear some good news on the home games split soon.

1 Like

One thing worth noting is that not one tenant of Etihad has won a premiership since the all conquering 2000 Dons.