Backline heroics

Opponents this season: 27 touches (9 contested @ 73% efficiency), 16 marks (2 contested, 0 I50), 2 goals, 4 behinds
Hurley this season: 59 touches (15 contested @ 76% efficiency), 22 marks (3 contested), 9 rebound 50's, 9 1%ers

Just saying.

Opponents this season: 27 touches (9 contested @ 73% efficiency), 16 marks (2 contested, 0 I50), 2 goals, 4 behinds
Hurley this season: 59 touches (15 contested @ 76% efficiency), 22 marks (3 contested), 9 rebound 50's, 9 1%ers

Just saying.

guess you could say the backline move is vindicated then

Worst games Ive seen from Hooker, Hurley, Fletcher in a very long time. All on the same night!

Sorry to say if Fletch is not careful and Pears comes good we might see an early retirement.

A legend that seems imo on his last legs...

Another reasonably good defensive performance tonight, it seems. We are building something defensively at least, in spite of all our forward line woes. Look at the points conceded in games this year:

vs North 60

vs Hawthorn 90

vs Carlton 57

vs Fremantle 113 (chalk that up to one really bad quarter)

vs St Kilda 81

vs Collingwood 83 (but they did score a bunch of goals in that purple patch in the 2nd/3rd quarters)

vs Bulldogs 65

Don't know what the league defensive stats are generally, but with the exception of the Freo game we haven't really been 'blown away' as such. Get a half-decent functioning forward line assembled and we probably turn some of those losses into wins...

32 marks between Hooker, Hurley and Fletcher tonight…

The interceptors!

Post-Fletcher, I think the Hooker\\Hurley\\Carlisle (assuming they bite the bullet and put him in defence) backline could work really well - Hurls can take the Gunston/Darling types but also play the zone-off, third man in role. Probably need to find another close-checking small defender, though. I reckon Gleeson will be a really good player put he's not suited to that role...

Obviously the opening post is wrong but they were heroic tonight.  Repelled everything, especially when in mattered in the last quarter. 

Well I remember Rooey kicking 4 so...

Well I remember Rooey kicking 4 so...

Was just going to mention players in the alpaca mode.

Hurley Hooker Carlisle is a ludicrous proposition from a speed in the back line point of view. We wouldn't be able to run out of sight on a dark night.

Pig looks a little off

We need to cure the bacon.

Just thought i would give some props to a person at the club who i never have. Have been a massive critic of his- but he deserves some love for his role this year.

Egan

Has really continued Wellman's great work with the defence. They have gone up another notch this year. Hurley hasn't missed a beat this year since coming back. Just look so solid down there.

Well Done

Just thought i would give some props to a person at the club who i never have. Have been a massive critic of his- but he deserves some love for his role this year.

Egan

Has really continued Wellman's great work with the defence. They have gone up another notch this year. Hurley hasn't missed a beat this year since coming back. Just look so solid down there.

Well Done

How much is really coaching influence compared to a backline that can pretty much coach itself with Fletch basically a playing coach.

Hurley has always looked comfortable in the backhalf even in his first season.

Hooker/Fletch have been great. Hibberd has been strong and Hurley has been good but can't handle the number one forward. (Roo and buddy both kicked five on him). 

Hepps, Trav and Myers will get some accolades but without Baggs, Hooker, Pig and Hurley we could have been blown away by a rampant Weagles.

Baggs reminds me of the glory days of Hardwick and Wanga. He sits well in this company imo..

Hepps, Trav and Myers will get some accolades but without Baggs, Hooker, Pig and Hurley we could have been blown away by a rampant Weagles.
Baggs reminds me of the glory days of Hardwick and Wanga. He sits well in this company imo..

Agree but Demps says hi.

Cale Hooker will go close to winning our best and fairest.

Cale Hooker will go close to winning our best and fairest.

I think he will be in our top 5 with Heppell, Ryder, Baugely and Goddard.

Pretty sure Heppell will be in the running for it this year.