Hardwick, Solomon, TD, Wellman...

Agree
Hardwick Fletcher MJ
Solomon Wallis Wellman
and
Wanganeen Fletcher Chris Daniher
Thompson Wallis Harvey
say "how bout no"
Not sure about the second one. Wallis only came good in 1996 and that was Bombers and Wanganeens last season and had Chris Daniher retired then, or was that 1998 he retired?

I'm assuming that's the 1993 GF backline.

Yep. As I remember it, anyway. 

FWIW I think the current backline group (ie, Dempsey, Hibberd, Bags, Fletch, Hooker, Hurley - with Gleeson, Ashby, Goddard, & Carlisle in the mix) could possibly eclipse both.

There's a lot of potential.Both the 93 & 00 sides ended up having to rely on a very one dimensional big grunt (Wallis) to handle the big KPFs & allow the more talented talls a bit more freedom - Fletch was always susceptible to the Sav/Carey sized blokes. I don't really see that sort of a weak link amongst the current group (assuming all fit, if we're a few down then we start to scrape a bit)

The 2000 backline was simply perfect.
The current one is pretty good, and may be viewed better by the end of the year.

Garbage. The 2000 backline had a glaring weakness in Wallis. Was a bog ordinary player who was carried by the rest. Played his part, but was protected.

Sheedy never did develop a good CHB, but since he has left we now have 3 top shelf CHB's in Hurley, Hooker and Carlisle.

I don’t think Wallis was really core to the 93 defence. He only played 8 games for the year and was borderline to play the GF.

Harvey punched above his size all season, and Fletch just kept having the big tasks.

… But Wallis was pretty good in 2000. 16 games for the year and when he wasn’t there guys like Barnard and Solomon had to play on bigger guys.

The current one is pretty good, and may be viewed better by the end of the year.

Garbage. The 2000 backline had a glaring weakness in Wallis. Was a bog ordinary player who was carried by the rest. Played his part, but was protected.
Sheedy never did develop a good CHB, but since he has left we now have 3 top shelf CHB's in Hurley, Hooker and Carlisle.

Look, you aren't gonna get any argument from me about Wallis, but that's a different (and already done) argument.
But in 2000, Between Fletch, wellman and Wally, we had the talls covered.

Look, you aren't gonna get any argument from me about Wallis, but that's a different (and already done) argument.
But in 2000, Between Fletch, wellman and Wally, we had the talls covered.

Agreed. But that is why I don't think it was perfect.

I have to agree with Ben that this backline could easily be as good. I mean, it has a Fletcher in it for starters :)

I don't think Wallis was really core to the 93 defence. He only played 8 games for the year and was borderline to play the GF.
Harvey punched above his size all season, and Fletch just kept having the big tasks.

Harvey was AA CHB. Wallis was not our CHB in 93.

Wallis.  Making Stanton look unmaligned since 1987.

Stuff them all. Don't forget Epis, Shelton & Davis, arguably our best HB line… ever.

plus Daryl Gerlach in the back pocket

Wallis. Making Stanton look unmaligned since 1987.

Doesn't 'much maligned' imply that the criticism wasn't warranted? :)

Stuff them all. Don't forget Epis, Shelton & Davis, arguably our best HB line… ever.

Along side Greg Brown, they both went all right.

300 gamer Gary Foulds was a very decent backmen and one of Sheedy’s original swingmen.

The 84 and 85 backline was pretty special considering the Hawthorn and Carlton forward lines that they blanketed.

Along side Greg Brown, they both went all right.

Apart from being a superb kick, Greg Brown was pretty limited compared to the rest of that silk.

I don't think Wallis was really core to the 93 defence. He only played 8 games for the year and was borderline to play the GF.

Wallis only playe 2 games in 1993 from memory and the only thing he did was knock out Hanna in the GF.

Wallis. Making Stanton look unmaligned since 1987.

Doesn't 'much maligned' imply that the criticism wasn't warranted? :)

Well spotted.

Wallis only playe 2 games in 1993 from memory and the only thing he did was knock out Hanna in the GF.

8. But still, hardly key to the defence. Harvey was amazing at CHB that season.

He played 8 games? Sheesh, there you go.

Still, was gifted a premiership medal that year.

He played 8 games? Sheesh, there you go.
Still, was gifted a premiership medal that year.

Sshh... This never goes well.

The 2000 back line was the best. Had the 2 talls, 2 medium sized defenders and two smalls.

And all of them would shirtfront their own mother to get the footy.

Wallis played his best footy in the 99-00 teams. Having him there also gave the team the luxury of freeing up Wellman to play as a creative, attacking HB or wingman.