Backline love-in

And some pretty ■■■■ teams too

1 Like

Aaaaaaand… last night’s result drops us right off that graphic, depending on other results.

2 Likes

Get Zaharakis the ■■■■ out of there and I dunno how about we play that natural defender in Ridley across half back? Baffling that one

1 Like

Partly!? I’d say mainly. They had 20+ consecutive inside 50’s at one point.

1 Like

The lack of pressure in the midfield was certainly a factor but I felt the greatest issue was our inability to move the ball out of defence. With Saad, McKenna, Fantasia and Tippa being shut down, there was no one providing any movement.

The players responded by going to the least dangerous spots on the ground, which is exactly where the Eagles put their best interceptors and where they wanted us to go. It was no surprise that we barely won any of those contests.

The backline also just had a terrible day. Redman’s probably worst game at senior level in the last two years, Hurley and Hooker getting intercepted, no run from Saad or McKenna.

How much of that was the blame of the defenders getting it out though? It would have take too much inteligence for them to see that we were losing in the midfield so badly, so why the hell not put it into touch?

Yes, we lost the around the ground clearances. By 27 to 18. So that would have given us a 40% chance of winning the next possession. That’s an awful lot higher than our chances in Q2 of getting it through the WCE web.

But heh, kicking for the boundary and resetting would be Plan B. So of course the idiot in charge doesn’t want to try that.