Bakeries

get fat or die tryin’

4 Likes

The two bakeries in Port Fairy are OK without being great in any particular respect.

I always get my bread from The Bakehouse from Portland, which sells at the weekend markets alternating between PF and Warrnambool. Brilliant sourdoughs. The Hopkins River Bakery fruit loaf is pretty good.

The best pies I can remember are from Molly Denes in Centre Road, Bentleigh near Thomas St. Their Mexican pie was superb.

Whenever I was going to Bendigo (usually with bobo) to watch the magoos, we’d stop at Malmsbury for their Eccles cakes and pasties. Sadly, the Calder now bypasses Malmsbury.

1 Like

If you are ever driving to Brisbane take a detour and pop into the Rosewood bakery. Sensational. Close to, if not the best, pies I have ever eaten.

1 Like

Top Top bakery in Vermont South Shopping Centre used to do amazing pies.

is opposite my office… thanks for the tip!

1 Like

The French bakery in South Melb Market is sensational.

Emerald has a great bakery. I’m always sure to drop in if I’m in the area.

2 Likes

There’s one down at Inverloch that has 60+ pies in the menu. Curried scallops! Never tried it, but I was gagging just even thinking that that could be a combination worth trying.

The Bakers Wife on Burke rd near Toorak rd intersection does awesome custard ball donuts, legit like 70/80% custard.

There’s a curried prawn pie at the old established Port Fairy bakery, but it goes straight through me. 20 minutes, tops.

And a good scallop pie, not curried, at the other bakery.

1 Like

I reckon you can judge the quality of a bakery by their donuts. If they don’t sell donuts best to leave.

1 Like

If they took eftpos, I’d have been in there every second day while at uni!

Amazed Ace hasn’t been in here yet:
Adelaide have 24 hour bakeries. Villies and another one.

Get with the times, rest of Australia.

Been to Villes. The hell is the point of a 24 your bakery if it’s crap?

Yep for Gusto. My Japanese wife wants lamingtons whenever we’re in the country, I always get her one from there, grade A stuff. My mum raves about that place too.

I got food poisoning from a bad sausage roll, put me off them for awhile.

I prefer a steak and bacon pie though.

Tony’s Pies in Buckley St has a good, well-deserved reputation. There was another bakery in that little group of shops sold a very mediocre sausage roll.

4 Likes

You guys havent even talked about Turkish bakeries yet. If you havent been to one. Well… Youre very welcome

2 Likes

It’s one of the worst things about living in the US…the bakeries are crap compared to ones back home…every time I come back I just live at the bakery close to my parents house and make up for lost time with anything and everything they offer.

4 Likes

viet bakeries pork or salad rolls.

love em