Bakeries

My man! Love that place

Their Cornish Pasties are unreal. I drive around that area about 2 or 3 times a year and every time I make a detour to Bruthen specifically to get one.

Max’s Pies in Lilydale are quality.

I remember staying on my grandparents farm down near the Otways as a kid and my Nana used to make sausage rolls for us for lunch. I’ve loved them ever since. A good sausage roll is the measuring stick I use for any bakery I go to. Never as good as my Nana’s though.

A place in Brighton did a great pie. Remember coming back from Hotham once and downing 3 of em.

Excellent bakery in Rosebud called Rangas (family affair all carrot tops). Brilliant little joint, does an oxtail pie that’s a must.

We have a Fergusen Pliarre (sp?) Chain near us. They got rid of the Bee Sting dessert type pastry and I hate the joint now.

Never have a full range and its all pre cooked and reheated in the oven crap

Just out of curiosity does anything not annoy you in the dog’s breakfast SB?

1 Like

Best Sausage Roll I’ve ever had is from a joint called Peninsula Pantry in Rye. It’s in the middle of nowhere but it’s always packed.

Pretty much every thing they do there is top shelf. I think it’s the super flakey pastry.

1 Like

Depends Barnz.

You’re having a go about elitism in the Winter olympics thread yeah? Which Pinot did you match it with?

1 Like

I’ve never rated them either. Expensive too.

Half cocked again hap.

I’ve been 4 times in my life to the snow, i don’t get to travel across the world chasing snow seasons,

Dude take a joke.

Wines for swines.

the only alcohol in my veins is ouzo.

edit: and i whiffed it too, because back in the rhythm of blitz defensiveness.

Go to Japan. They don’t do pies but they do good snow.

We were suppose to get a proper bakery nearby and ended up with Brumbys who folded after 3 months and relocated to far end of town because of the lack of sales and ridiculous overheads from the shopping center owners.

Downside with big chain places like FP is inferior ingredients to cut costs.

Okka Pies in Bayswater was great for their prices in the day.

There’s a good one in Baysie still. Not sure what it’s called.

For banh mi in the CBD I got to N. Lee Bakery, on Lt Collins Street near the corner of Exhibition. Nice and close to work and beats the Kenny’s bakery franchise attempt.

There’s also a bakery on Whitehorse Rd in Mitcham near the Coles that does banh mi but with little bits of pork crackling added in. Little crunchy nuggets of golden bliss.

And Cafe de Vilis is freaking awesome. The number of times I walked past that place at 4 or 5am, grabbed a beer or two and smashed a meat pie and chicken pie and a snot block is beyond count. Awesome memories, last time would have been 2001 or 2002.

2 Likes

The Turkish/Lebanese blocks up the top of Sydney Rd. Oh my. Such bread.

2 Likes