Bakeries

Wycheproof bakery.
It’s a fair drive, but absolutely worth it.

This thread is reinforcing what I miss most in Australia other than family and watching the Bombers live. Bread in Singapore is rubbish compared to home and boy I’m craving a quality meat pie from a bakery. First thing I did when I back for a week in April was get a pie!

All of Asia, in my experience.

1 Like

ITS THE GLUTEN TALKING

Well they don’t actually. I love their bread, especially the baguettes, but authentic French?

Not within a million miles.

In Balmain there was this place called Common Ground bakery. Made some tasty treats and bakery products. Used to eat there all the time.

Staff were lovely and always asking us to come up to their community in the Blue mountains. They dressed in very basic clothing that looked to be handmade, almost Amish feel to it.

Turns out they’re some fricked up religious cult, and the bakery is just a front to source new recruits.

For homemade pizza dough, go 1.5 parts self-raising flour to 1 part plain Greek yogurt. Start with 1 to 1 then add the .5 bit by bit as you’re kneading it.

It’s good, but it’s not as good as they think re prices. Been that way for a long time.

When we were in Bangkok, the closest we found to our style of bread was a japanese brand. Not overly close, but closer than all the other Asian breads we came across.

1 Like

Beechworth Bakery in Healesville is a bit the same. It’s fine. It’s not that good tho.

When there was just the one in Beechworth it was great. But when it went all expansiony it turned to bog average.

1 Like

Gawler South Bakery in Gawler SA which is close to home has probably the best pasty’s I’ve ever had anywhere. Have won several prizes for them and their pies. They do a wicked peppered steak pie and their donuts and Kitchener buns get plenty of plaudits aswell. Port Elliott bakery south of Adelaide win tons of awards and is packed every weekend aswell. We do have several 24hr bakeries in Adelaide. I’m not a huge Vili’s fan so don’t frequent them too much but there is a 24hr bakery across the road from Norwood oval that does a roaring trade after the footy.

This I fully back up…quality bakery.

Interesting to hear you say that given I have family in Paris and spend a few weeks there every year. My wife is also French and gives it the thumbs up.

I certainly give it the thumbs up in that I love their bread. The baguette is fabulous and similar to the “authentic” baguettes sold in France, except that it’s about three times the size (and price). Their other breads (spelt, honey oat, pumpkin, etc.) are also great, but not really French at all.

The other bread I really love is Laurent’s olive sourdough. I’ve been known to eat about a third of a loaf for lunch without even butter. I used to love Brown’s sourdough cob, but alas it is no more.

1 Like

As a humble health inspector I can promise you that bakery production areas are an oversized agar alive with activity.
Yeast mode.

working in hospo makes you never want to eat food ever.

Yep. Unless sterilised potatoes are your thing.