Bakeries

2nd link is good for those who only have an oven they crank up to hottest and finish off on the stove to crispen up the base (dirty and against the 2-3 minutes in a pizza oven folk tho).

1 Like

If you purchase your bread from a local Bakers Delight, and happen to stumble across the Franchisee, or even the sales manager, ask them if you can have a handful of the Pane Di Casa dough in a freezer bag (BYO).

It will have very slight characteristics of a Sour Dough.
If you go in the afternoon, every Bakers Delight will have a couple of large buckets fermenting in the fridge (during warmer months), ready for the following morning’s bake.

Might make a nice Pizza dough.

1 Like

Dear Trip

No hemlock ?

Over the Christmas break I was at a friend’s house and we had the wood-fire oven going, but we ran out of flour so we ended up using a couple of packets of the bread-maker white bread mix (Lauke or similar brand). Chucked in a little extra olive oil and it worked out really well (I wasn’t expecting much). I recommend rolling it really thin if using a wood-fire oven, although not sure how it works in the BBQ pizza cooker.

Edit: Almost forgot the actual thread topic. Johnny Ripe in Red Hill on the Mornington Peninsula do huge sausage rolls for about $5. Also top-notch croissants.

Istanbul Kitchen in Bassendean was right near where I worked when I lived in Perth. Magnificent!

Thats my local. It gets crazy busy on the weekends.
Anyone that sampled the cheesecake at the intra club blitz get together…thats where it came from.

2 Likes

The one on OConnell st North Adelaide? You’ll find me there getting breakfast if in Adelaide for work.

Does a lot of business from what I can tell.

That reminds me, what was that US place at the top of a CBD street that did good breakfasts?

This was early to mid 90s but there was a cafe with Bourbon St in its name, corner of Hindley and a side street that led straight to the railway station. It had a good range of American regional food, but disappeared.

Fast Eddy’s? Used to be on Bourke Street up near Spring.

1 Like

I thought wim was talking about Adelaide. That’s what I was referring to.

Ah OK. Sounds like we’ve got the South-East of the country covered for him then.

In any case, i reckon Coffee Club serves more decent regional Yank food than Fast Eddy’s…at least with Reubens and Philly cheesesteaks.

Fatto A Mano.

Thanks AN. I’ve not tried the food there. Will give it a go one day. Fast Eddy’s used to be the go to place for late-night burgers/fries/shakes way back when. Now you can’t walk a block in Melbourne without tripping over a burger joint.

I used to love Denny’s for their breakfasts and dinner desserts. There was one at Albert Park Golf Course and one in Highett on the highway.

Ka pies from sunshine are great.

Up until about 4 moinths ago I would have said there is no such thing as a good pre-made pizza base.
My local Coles now stocks a product called Toscano pizza bases in the bread/wraps section.
They’re surprisingly good and worth a try.
Clear packaging with black writing.

I no longer make my own dough as It rarely comes out as good as this product.

2 Likes

I thought it was illegal to make your own dough. What would the RBA say about that?

Wood Frog bakery in CBD and eastern suburbs have very authentic French bread and pastries.