BB Rules of Modern Etiquette for the 21st Century

Not etiquette but on current topic. What's harder to kill Ivy or "Wandering New" (bad name). We currently have both in our backyard and the guy redoing it for us reckons he's going to need to poison multiple times (and possibly tress poison?)

Creeping Christian? Marauding Muhammed? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tradescantia_fluminensis

You do NOT need to poison tradescantia.

What do we need to do with it then? :slight_smile:

Pull it out. That is easy. Then go over the whole area picking up any fragment of plant you can see. Then dig the topsoil and sieve it, looking for more fragments.

Then water, give it a couple of weeks and repeat the process.

You just need patience and persistence.

Ivy is worse because it is usually planted along a fence line and you can’t get at the roots to dig them up. I fought a losing battle for 20 years with ivy in the last house we had.

But oxalis is the worst.

Best to go for the newer growth on ivy leaves and put some oil in the mix.

One man’s weed is another’s nice pinky-flowering grassy stuff.

Not etiquette but on current topic. What's harder to kill Ivy or "Wandering New" (bad name). We currently have both in our backyard and the guy redoing it for us reckons he's going to need to poison multiple times (and possibly tress poison?)

Creeping Christian? Marauding Muhammed? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tradescantia_fluminensis

You do NOT need to poison tradescantia.

What do we need to do with it then? :slight_smile:

Pull it out. That is easy. Then go over the whole area picking up any fragment of plant you can see. Then dig the topsoil and sieve it, looking for more fragments.

Then water, give it a couple of weeks and repeat the process.

You just need patience and persistence.

Ivy is worse because it is usually planted along a fence line and you can’t get at the roots to dig them up. I fought a losing battle for 20 years with ivy in the last house we had.

But oxalis is the worst.

That might be possible if your talking about a very small patch of it. Not so on acreage.

One man's weed is another's nice pinky-flowering grassy stuff.

My former neighbour, an elderly lady originally from Serbia, used to cultivate weeds in our common area, and pull out, hit and slash at the legit plants and flowers with a stick. One day my mother visited and happened to pull out the weeds. My neighbour was out at the time, but when she arrived home she was so confused as to why someone would do that to her… weeds. We actually went out and bought her some potted plants to put in her front yard, but she refused them. She is pretty whacky. She’d tie bags of chips and bananas in plastic bags to our door for helping her with various things. The bananas would have pictures cut out from supermarket catalogues sticky taped to them - cartoon figures, other fruit, a chicken. Wasn’t too clued in to the function of security gates either. She’d let anyone in, and innocently tell them whether we were home or not - once to a person who proceeded to break into our house.

My former neighbour, an elderly lady originally from Serbia, used to cultivate weeds in our common area, and pull out, hit and slash at the legit plants and flowers with a stick. One day my mother visited and happened to pull out the weeds. My neighbour was out at the time, but when she arrived home she was so confused as to why someone would do that to her… weeds. We actually went out and bought her some potted plants to put in her front yard, but she refused them. She is pretty whacky. She’d tie bags of chips and bananas in plastic bags to our door for helping her with various things. The bananas would have pictures cut out from supermarket catalogues sticky taped to them - cartoon figures, other fruit, a chicken. Wasn’t too clued in to the function of security gates either. She’d let anyone in, and innocently tell them whether we were home or not - once to a person who proceeded to break into our house.

Classic. Sounds like a perfect character to be written into an Aussie movie.

Someone has to look after the unloved.

Make the effort to stop your farking dog/s from barking!! And tell them like you mean it - don't give them the "oh Fuzzy, you little naughty-waughty you..." routine. Dogs bark sometimes. I get that. I've got one too. But sustained barking? Overnight? Day after day? When you're home? Fark off.

FFS

Agreed, I threw a bucket of water over the fence when the little rat was going nuts while I was watching the footy one night. Unbeknownst to me, the neighbour was playing with it at the time. Relationship went down hill after that. Got the message across though.

Oh, there Is no relationship to go downhill in my case. Stern words have been had several times, formal complaints have been lodged, fruity language is regularly hurled over the fence, and the time is rapidly approaching for steak laced with snailbait…
Do you know how farking hard it is to get a 4 yo down with a mutt carrying on outside the window.

FFS…

Pffft, ffs. You blokes and your namby pamby suburban weeds…

Come and get some real weed action with lantana, croftons weed, giant devil’s fig, groundsel bush…etc, etfarkingc

@“BLOODSTAINED DEVILS” for your nutgrass, good luck! The ■■■■■■ stuff can sit dormant for years deep underground and then go crazy when conditions are right. Herbicides that contain MSMA or with a chemical called bentazon work best. There is even a supposed remedy using sugar that is meant to work, but who knows…

This sounds like an allegory.

When joining friends for dinner, assume the bill will be split evenly. Don't argue about who ate more garlic bread. Just farking pay. And whilst on the subject, have enough cash at hand to cover your share + tip. No one likes a tight a*se.

There is an exception to this rule which relates to booze. If one couple at dinner are absolute booze hounds because they decided to catch a cab and don’t have kids while the other couple has kids and simply can’t afford to be hung over any more some sort of accommodation should be reached. If the boozy couple think I’m splitting 4 bottles of red with them after having 2 glasses they have another thing coming.

Same goes for the couple who order 5 coffees each over breakfast and then ask to split the bill.

If that makes me a tigharse so be it.

Don’t tip.