BB Rules of Modern Etiquette for the 21st Century

And a fully grown silver birche won’t bat and eyelid at glyphosate.

And a fully grown silver birche won't bat and eyelid at glyphosate.

If you say it, I take it as read, but am intrigued, I thought that shitt killed everything?

Not so.
There was a time that farmers would make a weak solution and spray Paterson Curse to increase sugar levels making it edible for their livestock.
Don’t get me wrong, that stuff is dangerous. Not so much for its composition but for the way it was marketed as non residual and safe to use.
I think we went through all that in another thread.
I guess you guys are aware that Monsanto has been acquired by Bayer recently?

Ok. I've recently moved into a house with a nature strip. So I need a rundown of nature strip etiquiette.

I find it infinitely annoying when I see someone has mowed theirs to the line of their property only to leave a square metre to the curb, unmown - coz it’s not their responsiblity etc. Just to be clear, this isn’t the case with my house, I’m talking about when I see it anywhere. Just mow the rest you miserable ■■■■■■■ miser.

At the same time, there has to be a line. My neighbour’s strip extending from mine is 3 times the size of mine. Do I do the extra nice thing and do it if it happens to need doing? If I do that, do I go around the corner and do the rest - less than I’ve already mown - that is not even on my street?

Where do you draw the line?

I’ve got a wimpy electric mower and I’ve only got enough to cut my lawns, out to the nature strip and all of one neighbours (she’s about 100, so kind of have to) and a little bit of the other neighbours.

The bloke a couple of doors down has a new petrol mower so he comes past and just does everyone’s for a laugh. I had told him I was asking santa for another longer extension cord so I could mow his, but he didn’t get the hint.

Not so. There was a time that farmers would make a weak solution and spray Paterson Curse to increase sugar levels making it edible for their livestock. Don't get me wrong, that stuff is dangerous. Not so much for its composition but for the way it was marketed as non residual and safe to use. I think we went through all that in another thread. I guess you guys are aware that Monsanto has been acquired by Bayer recently?

No, didn’t know that. What is the significance?

Bayer are one of the original Ag/Hort monsters.
A match made in heaven, or hell.

BTW…glyphosate does nothing to nasty’s such as blackberry and oxalis also.
If your going to try and kill a tree with it dont drill deep, go shallow to the cambian layer. Make sure you own the tree also ;).

Too many clues there, bonzo.

Do you know anything for oxalis control that will not kill other angiosperms [flowering plants]? I have dug up over 4,000 bulbs over the last 3 years but each winter it is depressing to see so many more come up. (I am guessing most are seeded from neighbours and park across the road).

Not etiquette but on current topic. What’s harder to kill Ivy or “Wandering New” (bad name). We currently have both in our backyard and the guy redoing it for us reckons he’s going to need to poison multiple times (and possibly tress poison?)

BTW…glyphosate does nothing to nasty’s such as blackberry

Hmmm, might explain why I keep hitting them, and they always seem to bounce back, after looking like they’re finished. If you can recommend something to wipe them for good, I’d be a happy camper.

Also, seeing how we’ve turned this into a Gardening / Hort thread … (maybe we should have one … I think we actually might?) … ■■■■■■■ Nut Grass!!!.

If you know of a solve for those barstards, you’ll not be putting hand to pocket when we catch up for an Ale.

Do you know anything for oxalis control that will not kill other angiosperms [flowering plants]? I have dug up over 4,000 bulbs over the last 3 years but each winter it is depressing to see so many more come up. (I am guessing most are seeded from neighbours and park across the road).

Oxalis is a ■■■■■■■ mate. Once you have it it’s near impossible to totally get rid of unless you sive every grain of soil on your property.
I’ve got 5 acres of the damn stuff. Best I can suggest is to spray it just before it flowers when the bulb has exhausted its energy. That slows it right down and lessens the problem. I don’t know of any selective herbicide that targets it specifically.

Not etiquette but on current topic. What's harder to kill Ivy or "Wandering New" (bad name). We currently have both in our backyard and the guy redoing it for us reckons he's going to need to poison multiple times (and possibly tress poison?)

Thats another bad one. Worse than oxalis in my opinion. Bad for dogs also because they love lying in it and it gives them a nasty rash. I’ve got that one also. ( the weed not the rash)
I’ve hit it with every nasty know to man and it still comes back. If its just a small patch dig it out and make sure you get every bit because it shoots from the tiniest bit left behind.
The guy next door sprayed it with fluroxypyr and then torched it with a blow torch and it still came back.
I’ve heard of it being controlled by heavy mulching with legumes like Lucerne.

BTW..glyphosate does nothing to nasty's such as blackberry

Hmmm, might explain why I keep hitting them, and they always seem to bounce back, after looking like they’re finished. If you can recommend something to wipe them for good, I’d be a happy camper.

Also, seeing how we’ve turned this into a Gardening / Hort thread … (maybe we should have one … I think we actually might?) … ■■■■■■■ Nut Grass!!!.

If you know of a solve for those barstards, you’ll not be putting hand to pocket when we catch up for an Ale.

I got onto a new blackberry killer by the new CLM guy at work that apparently knocks them dead but is quite mild to everything else. That was before xmas and I havnt chased it up yet. I’ll find out tomorrow and get back to you. I need some pronto also.
The nut grass…not sure… will ask the turf its. Theres bound to be something

Not etiquette but on current topic. What's harder to kill Ivy or "Wandering New" (bad name). We currently have both in our backyard and the guy redoing it for us reckons he's going to need to poison multiple times (and possibly tress poison?)

Thats another bad one. Worse than oxalis in my opinion. Bad for dogs also because they love lying in it and it gives them a nasty rash. I’ve got that one also. ( the weed not the rash)
I’ve hit it with every nasty know to man and it still comes back. If its just a small patch dig it out and make sure you get every bit because it shoots from the tiniest bit left behind.
The guy next door sprayed it with fluroxypyr and then torched it with a blow torch and it still came back.
I’ve heard of it being controlled by heavy mulching with legumes like Lucerne.

I’ve got a few cans of baked beans in the pantry that I’ll try, when I get back home.

Creeping Christian? Marauding Muhammed? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tradescantia_fluminensis

You do NOT need to poison tradescantia.

Unfortunately the wandering stuff has gone nuts and is actually growing through concrete (which is being removed as well). Luckily our dogs either don’t like it or aren’t allergic to it as we’ve never had problems with them.

And we’re pretty sure the Ivy is what’s keeping up the fence!

Creeping Christian? Marauding Muhammed? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tradescantia_fluminensis

You do NOT need to poison tradescantia.

What do we need to do with it then? :slight_smile:

Unfortunately the wandering stuff has gone nuts and is actually growing through concrete (which is being removed as well). Luckily our dogs either don't like it or aren't allergic to it as we've never had problems with them.

And we’re pretty sure the Ivy is what’s keeping up the fence!

It’s the fark Carlton of weeds. Anywhere its shady it thrives.
I’d be cutting the Ivy down to the ground and replacing the fence. Remove all the roots as you can and then hit the new shoots with something nasty likeTriclopyr.

Make the effort to stop your farking dog/s from barking!! And tell them like you mean it - don't give them the "oh Fuzzy, you little naughty-waughty you..." routine. Dogs bark sometimes. I get that. I've got one too. But sustained barking? Overnight? Day after day? When you're home? Fark off.

FFS

Agreed, I threw a bucket of water over the fence when the little rat was going nuts while I was watching the footy one night. Unbeknownst to me, the neighbour was playing with it at the time. Relationship went down hill after that. Got the message across though.

When joining friends for dinner, assume the bill will be split evenly. Don't argue about who ate more garlic bread. Just farking pay. And whilst on the subject, have enough cash at hand to cover your share + tip. No one likes a tight a*se.

I can’t agree with this. If I order the soup and someone else orders the steak, 4 beers and dessert then they should pay their share.

Actually in the case the gutsy one should say he’ll pay the whole bill. If you (Mr Soup Only) think you should pay something, say you’ll leave the tip

Oxalis is a ■■■■■■■ mate. Once you have it it’s near impossible to totally get rid of unless you sive every grain of soil on your property.
I’ve got 5 acres of the damn stuff. Best I can suggest is to spray it just before it flowers when the bulb has exhausted its energy. That slows it right down and lessens the problem. I don’t know of any selective herbicide that targets it specifically.

That's why I know I have collected 4,000 bulbs (and bulbils) already. And that's just from the front yard.

Trouble with sprays is that the leaves are so waxy the spray just runs right off. This is a really evil plant.