BBFFL#2 2017 Discussion

yep.

Nothing worse than having a C as a late out, when you’ve got a FC in the forwards, a F on the bench in reserve, no backup C on the bench and have to cop a zero.

1 Like

Yes correct it’s just not for rucks I’m proposing the change for. Mids, backs and forwards would get the same treatment.

1 Like

So how would it work in practice? Say for example I have the following scenario:

BF in the backline
RF in the ruck
FC in the middle
F - Misses.

On the bench:
B
R
C
F

Can I specify what moves I want to make? i.e

Ruck to forward line, spare ruck in?

Or do you just do what moves necessary to get the first reserve player in? i.e.

Back to forward line, bring in back?

Or would the spare F just come in?

Seems like it could get very complicated.

No one wants to talk rookie list do they?

:disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

I suggested it last year actually :).

I still think it comes down to the basic problem of however you do it, it still makes the top teams stronger. The only way it wouldn’t would be if you only allowed it for teams outside the 8 or something.

1 Like

I think it works for everyone and increases the value of the draft slightly which is a good thing.

I don’t really see how it increases the value of the draft, you’ll have to explain that one to me :). Makes the draft shallower really.

I think the existing rules are working out okay and teams are generally cycling through being good/■■■■.
Melk/WOB used to be powerhouses and now losing steam, RB used to suck and now looks like he’ll be a contender for a few years.

I think we’d mess up the balance if we throw rules like rookie lists / hotswapping players

1 Like

It just means you can park a few more 18 year old second rounders you rate but who need time to come good while also holding a more mature core of 20 players on your keepers list.

And with that said yeah it is clearly a leg up for currently strong teams but I think it would also help to accelerate currently developing teams by enabling them to hold a few young investments for longer.

I’m not back at 100% yet as you may be able to tell so I’m probably not arguing this as strongly as I good be.

The back as first emergency would come into play to replace the BF who has moved forward to replace the forward who is out. So the order of your of your bench becomes important. If you had the R at Emg1 he would come in with the RF moving forward.

Arguably it will be simpler because it’s more likely the first emergency will come into the team given the number of dual position players.

If this rule was in place I would have changed my Grand Final starting lineup. I put Alex Neal-Bullen CF on the bench as cover incase a mid missed and picked players in the forward line who I wasn’t as confident in. As it turns out he replaced Greenwood as a forward and was part of my 18 anyway.

I’d vote to go back to 5 c’s but I’m not sure anyone else agrees. I hate the format we have run with the last two years

1 Like

My interest in trying to identify and hold young talent certainly suits Ivans suggestion. But after reflecting on it last year, i settled on keeping the 20 player structure and voted that way. Really, our job is to build a winning team within the League framework.

I do feel like a bit of a nursery for the comp, each year I’m trying to guess which of 4 or 5 kids to cut loose and a few coaches each year have noted that they’re perusing my list to see which kids might be in the draft. But thats the game and no-one forces a strategy on anyone else. I run the risk that the kids wont come on and that’ll make a tough year. But if/when they do i could “suddenly” have a 20 man keeper list of immense ability. And if my assessment of the talent is decent, i should get a few trade offers for guys in that 16-24 list range.

4 Likes

The annual Merv Neagle medal vote count will take place tomorrow evening from about 6pm.

1 Like

Count is just began.

1 Like

Due to a technical hiccup voting has ceased for the night and will recommence tomorrow.

Dislike.

I dislike as well!

There are couple of reasons for the delay. Doing it all in one hit is huge - I forget every year. Also my spreadsheet crashed - fortunately i only lost the last 3 rounds and I can work back from word doc I transpose into before posting in here. Also I’ve signed up for a sleep study tonight so I can’t spend all night doing the count.

Anyway it helps to build suspense!

5 Likes

Hope all is well H.

1 Like

Binked Awards 2017

Best Clubman
Jack Crisp
Jack had a solid 2017, playing all 22 games. He slightly improved his average from 2016 and gained a new role off the half back flank. Not the flashiest of players but does his job every week and is very much a set and forget. Hopefully will retain his B status for 2018 and add some much needed scoring power back there.

Most Improved
Clayton Oliver
Clayton wins this award by the length of the Flemington straight. Going from 13 games for an average of 69 in his first season, to 102 across 22 games is huge. In his draft I was disappointed that Hopper didn’t last until his pick, lucky for me I was saved from myself.

Best Draftee
Braydon Preuss
In what was probably my worst ever draft this award came down to Preuss v Mountford. The difficulty of finding rucks gets him the nod along with the fact that North is clearly looking beyond Goldstein. Had an impressive pre-season, and carried that form into the season proper with 2 100+ scores at the start of the year. Was dropped from the team and form was up and down, but looks to be a solid ruck option into the future.

The Binky

Joint 2nd Place
Luke Shuey - 66 Votes
Much like West Coast itself, Luke had an up and down in 2017, starting strongly and seeming to fade a bit as the year went on. Still managed to maintain an average of 99 and helped carry a weak midfield.

Joint 2nd Place
Clayton Oliver - 66 Votes
A massive season for the second year player sees him place an equal 2nd in the Binky. Oliver had an amazingly consistent season with a lowest score of 81 and a top of 135, 10 of his scores broke through the 100 barrier this year and Binked can only hope this kind of form will continue for years to come.

Winner
Adam Treloar - 86 Votes
Treloar has been a consistent vote scorer since his debut season only once finishing outside the top 3 and is justly rewarded with his second Binky. Polling votes in 20 of 22 games and boasting an average of 108 taking out the B&F is just reward for yet another quality season.

Season Summary

What went right?
Aside from Clayton Oliver, not much. After a slow start, Ben McEvoy got back to his best form (ironically around the time that I complained he used to be a good player) and after some more injury trouble Dom Sheed started to get back to his best. After knocking back a number of enquiries for Vlastuin I was feeling pretty stupid, however after returning to the Richmond lineup in round 17 he put a string of solid scores together that indicates my faith may finally be rewarded in 2018.

Ryan Clarke found some good form off the HB line towards the end of the season, Braydon Preuss looks like turning into a quality ruckman in the coming seasons, Walla maintained his average after moving to the forwardline and Dean Towers seems to have finally solidified his spot in Sydney’s best 22 despite a slightly lower average.

What went wrong?
In short, the draft. Binked’s worst draft performance ever failed to improve the best 22 altogether, this coupled with the decline of a number of players and injuries to others has led to a very disappointing season and an 8-11 W/L that frankly flatters the team.

Tom Liberatore has gone from a player who averaged 100 back in 2014 to a dismal 72 in 2017, it’s tempting to blame his 2015 knee reconstruction for this drop in form and scoring power but my belief is it’s more likely to be the change in coach.

Tommy Sheridan looked to be turning into a dashing half back 2 years ago, but his inability to hold a position in Fremantle’s 22 this season is seriously worrying.

Mitch Honeychurch continues to tantalise me, he doesn’t seem to have to the coach’s confidence and needs to put in half a season of VFL dominance before getting a game, at which point he plays 2-3, gets injured and is not seen again.

Going forward
The what went wrong section of this review could probably go for several more pages, but what’s the point :slight_smile: . Some big decisions need to be made at Binked… since the debut season we have been a middle of the road team and nothing has really changed in the seasons since and some hard decisions will need to be made in the coming off-season. The top end talent is good enough, but depth is severely lacking and as with Essendon, too much is left to too few. A number of players have stagnated or gone backwards and too few have gone forward.

End of 2017 Best 22
Backs: Jack Crisp (BC), Brodie Smith (B), Tom McDonald (BF), David Astbury (B), Nick Vlastuin (B)
Mids: Adam Treloar ©, Clayton Oliver ©, Luke Shuey ©, Dom Sheed ©, Tom Liberatore ©, Josh Caddy (CF), Kyle Langford (CF)
Forwards: Mitch Honeychurch (CF), Ryan Clarke (CF), Ed Langdon (CF), Dean Towers (F), Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti (BF)
Ruck: Max Gawn ®

Int: Ben McEvoy ®, Declan Mountford ©, Tommy Sheridan (B), Will Setterfield ©

4 Likes

Count about to resume

1 Like