Bellchambers on LTI

does the rookie have to stay promoted for a certain period of time or can he he come in for say 1 week and go back down? can we switch which rookie is promoted?

Don't think so. He can be promoted whenever but can only go off the list when TBell comes back on.

That is my understanding also. I think you have to put their pay up too, so it's not something they do willy nilly.

The rookie list is a weird thing. I think it should be used for traineeships for kids that want to work in footy, it should be unlikely that a rookie will ever be any good. Clubs dodge this and often use it for mature players, troubled players, injured etc etc they think might turn out ok but they are always long shots.

I just feel bad for Rookies because they have pretty much no chance of ever making it, but they are probably given so much hope.

(Yes I know we have had some success stories, but they are pretty rare.)

^ there are rookie success stories every year for all clubs, if they are good enough they get their opportunity eventually.   Certainly tough on them though, paid low base and cant really work another job given training demands. 

Announced by Patrick Keane on Twitter.

I assume this is just to make sure we're not a player short for the first 6 or so weeks of the season.

His 8-week period starts today.

Corey Dell or Steinberg? No-one's been promoted yet.

Doesn't 8 weeks put us into late March, which means he misses round 1 (we already knew the timeline was back in time for ANZAC day)?

Doesn't really mean he's out for the first 6 rounds of the season.

Yeah. Eight weeks from today is 7th April - between rounds 3 and 4

On 3aw news at 6pm they said the Bombers were poised to upgrade Fraser Thurlow, did anyone else hear this, I didnt hear it properly.

ENTER PEEDO

I reckon Ambrose has done well at training and they’ll look at upgrading him as well as the usual pre season upgrade

does the rookie have to stay promoted for a certain period of time or can he he come in for say 1 week and go back down? can we switch which rookie is promoted?

Don't think so. He can be promoted whenever but can only go off the list when TBell comes back on.
That is my understanding also. I think you have to put their pay up too, so it's not something they do willy nilly.

The rookie list is a weird thing. I think it should be used for traineeships for kids that want to work in footy, it should be unlikely that a rookie will ever be any good. Clubs dodge this and often use it for mature players, troubled players, injured etc etc they think might turn out ok but they are always long shots.

I just feel bad for Rookies because they have pretty much no chance of ever making it, but they are probably given so much hope.

I'm fairly sure they changed the rules last year and you can change the promoted rookie willy nilly

I reckon Ambrose has done well at training and they'll look at upgrading him as well as the usual pre season upgrade

We don't get a pre-season upgrade because we already have a full list. We can only replace Tbell

I reckon Ambrose has done well at training and they'll look at upgrading him as well as the usual pre season upgrade

We don't get a pre-season upgrade because we already have a full list. We can only replace Tbell

Oh, I thought you could upgrade regardless before season, like mid season

Tinkerbell will return to the list with better trousers 

EFA

This news actually makes me a little interested in the pre-season games. Have had no enthusiasm so far, but when a spot is up for grabs, it is always interesting to see who wants it most.

Good luck to all the rookies. Here's hoping for a Pev/Lovett/NLM/Hocking style upgrade.

I think every team is allowed to play 1 rookie until round 12 or something … Or is it after round 12 your allowed to upgrade one? Or am I confusing my self because I was sure it was something like one of them.

My understanding is:
Before the changes to the list rules before the 2013 season, if you didn’t have a full complement of veterans you could nominate a rookie pre-season, and then promote them any time. That has now been done away with. You could then, and can now, promote one rookie from the mid-season break on.
Other than the mid-season rookie, the only way to get promoted is if someone is put on the long term injury list, and then that rookie who is promoted cannot be changed.
On promotion a rookie gets higher salary, but from a list perspective at the end of the year they are still a rookie.

I think every team is allowed to play 1 rookie until round 12 or something ... Or is it after round 12 your allowed to upgrade one? Or am I confusing my self because I was sure it was something like one of them.

Must have blocked aboods posts!

Would be happy enough if any of the rookies played well enough in the NAB cup to demand promotion and a senior spot, but if I'm honest, I'm really hoping that Steinberg "does a Crameri" in the preseason games this year.

What, fark off to a sh*t club?

I believe the clubs have to pay them a bonus for making it onto the main list, not sure if it's pro-rata though or just a straight bonus. Either way it has an impact on the salary cap, which would discourage clubs from chopping & changing (or upgrading if they're not much of a chance)

As far as the chances of a rookie making it, I'm pretty sure I read there's almost zero statistical difference between a rookie & a main draft pick after the 4th round or so. We've had plenty of successes over the years (Cramers, Howlett, Heath, NLM, Lovett, Bags, hopefully Dalgleish.

Chuck in belchambers and hibbo just because they were PSD picks which is after the draft (and also the rookie draft i think)

PSD is between the main & Rookie drafts… Hams was another from there, as well as Hardie

Why do I always think of Barlow whenever someone mentions Hardingham?

Bring in our back up ruck.