Ben Cousins Goes Ape (again)

Hope she is real proud of herself.

Ever wondered, are the activities of drug dealers are included in Australias GDP ? They certainly are !. After all, the druggies in their ice labs are making a product which can be sold at a good profit, spending their money on restaurants, clothes, property, cars, gambling, and laboratory glassware. Its all part of economic activity within the Australian workplace.

The fact that Cousins has lost everything is just a boost to the velocity of circulation of money from an economists point of view. The problem is, human misery is not accounted for in the GDP figures.

Lol. Is gdp measured on the supply or demand side?

This only happens in Europe due to certain GDP requirement required from their inclusion in the Eurozone

Not sure where you studied economics but I would ask for a refund

Ironically, Cousins is something of an argument against the belief that drug addiction can be addressed by decriminalisation.

Guy faced absolutely no legal consequences for his drug use for years. For him, it WASN’T illegal, in any meaningful way. Still it turned him into … Whatever he is now.

that’s quite a over-simplification of the arguments for decriminalisation.

FFS. Why does every second ■■■■ on blitz have to read into every post x10 points that were not made and were not implied.

Deserves more than a like.
Good point, well made.

Journalist scumbag is scumbag

Wouldn’t have even known about it if it wasn’t posted here. It mustn’t have been reported on News 24, or ABC news.

It’s like having an automatic salacious/gutter journalism filter.

If you read it, you’re just encouraging it, remember that.

Wouldn't have even known about it if it wasn't posted here. It mustn't have been reported on News 24, or ABC news.

Off topic, but Salacious is a damn good word, and I don’t think I’ve ever used it.

Thanks…I’m gonna give it a whirl next chance I get.

Ever wondered, are the activities of drug dealers are included in Australias GDP ? They certainly are !. After all, the druggies in their ice labs are making a product which can be sold at a good profit, spending their money on restaurants, clothes, property, cars, gambling, and laboratory glassware. Its all part of economic activity within the Australian workplace.

The fact that Cousins has lost everything is just a boost to the velocity of circulation of money from an economists point of view. The problem is, human misery is not accounted for in the GDP figures.

Lol. Is gdp measured on the supply or demand side?

This only happens in Europe due to certain GDP requirement required from their inclusion in the Eurozone

Not sure where you studied economics but I would ask for a refund

If you want to go pedantic on this JBomber, GDP can be measured by accounting for production or accounting for expenditure . Either way its an attempt to estimate economic activity.
But thats not really my point . Maybe Jigme Wangchucks’ albeit rhetorical concept of the Gross National Happiness is more important than how many $$$$ worth of widgets are purchased in a country.

Ironically, Cousins is something of an argument against the belief that drug addiction can be addressed by decriminalisation.

Guy faced absolutely no legal consequences for his drug use for years. For him, it WASN’T illegal, in any meaningful way. Still it turned him into … Whatever he is now.

Certainly past behaviour is a commonly used predicator for present/future behaviour however with Ben Cousins, I do not believe the AFL would have come up with this offer is he wasn’t a Brownlow Medallist. I wonder if the AFL are looking at another very profitable business enterprise for other AFL players. Pardon my cynicism at the AFL’s offer. I simply find it hard to believe this offer from the AFL comes from the very best heartfelt intentions, rather than “not a good look for the AFL.”

Cousin’s wounds are self inflicted but yet he receives AFL help - EFC 34 wounds not self inflicted, but yet no help from the AFL.

So, they haven’t offered to help until now? Sheesh, I thought this is EXACTLY what the AFLPA was set up for. Well, not this exact scenario, but you know what I mean.

So, they haven't offered to help until now? Sheesh, I thought this is EXACTLY what the AFLPA was set up for. Well, not this exact scenario, but you know what I mean.

I love the way they couldn’t just offer to help him. They had to make sure everyone knew about it. Tossers.

In their defence they (AFL Players Association, AFL and West Coast) have been trying to assist Cousins for years. It was revealed (again) that they had offered to help because twitter jerkoffs were giving them heaps for doing ‘nothing’. Cousins has to accept the help first.

That strand is thinner than WADAs argument.

Don’t think you can make that connection.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not one if the LOCK UP ALL TEH ADDICTZ crowd & I think drug laws for stuff like usage should be loosened. But as cousins demonstrates, simply being free of legal consequences for your drug use doesn’t mean it won’t ■■■■ you up.

Decriminalisation aint a magic bullet.

yep, tis like the good old, ■■■ cannabis has so many beneficial uses in such and such, it should be legal.
Failing to acknowledge that the elemants that get you high, are generally taken out of legit medical used cannabis, so their argument is invalid to begin with.

i also don’t see them arguing to legalise cocaine and herion cos they help in “pain” management too, and were specficially designed for that purpose.

Also on the swiss model, if it works for them great, but what is there culture like in general ?

I’m not sure it’d necessarily translate into our culture or alot of cultures who are based on over indulging in substances, even legal ones.

We can’t even remotely curb binge drinking and trying to knock each other out every weekend, good luck adding proper drugs to the equation.

You have so little idea it’s almost laughable.

I think DP would be amazed at how many high functioning, high achievers who are recreational users of pot that are out there.

I can think of 2 from our 1993 & 2000 GF teams off the top of my head without even thinking about it.

impressive

Good points made. We're seemingly getting a bit better and not jailing people purely for possession. I think society is learning that not all addicts are necessarily scum. If they physically don't harm anyone else but themselves, then they should have free will to inject whatever they ■■■■■■ like. However, it's not as though decriminilisation will lead to "free" drugs, they will still have to financially support their habit. Chances are they will still do this via burglaries, armed robberies etc. I don't see how we'll ever stop this. It's not something where a perfect solution will ever be found.

The govt. could have clinics where the users are registered and are helped with their addiction. The govt. would need to supply all drugs (will never happen) with a view to weaning the addicts of their addiction. This should minimize the need for crime to support the addicts’ habit and stop the dealers, manufacturers etc profiting from illegal drugs. Would be costly to the government but if run well and if successful there would be less need for these clinics and therefore reduce costs as hopefully the number of addicts are reduced. So much more can be said but essentially the government need to invest on a different and radical approach to eradicate the use of illegal drugs.

Wouldn't have even known about it if it wasn't posted here. It mustn't have been reported on News 24, or ABC news.

Off topic, but Salacious is a damn good word, and I don’t think I’ve ever used it.

Thanks…I’m gonna give it a whirl next chance I get.

Watch it on the corners.

So, they haven't offered to help until now? Sheesh, I thought this is EXACTLY what the AFLPA was set up for. Well, not this exact scenario, but you know what I mean.

I love the way they couldn’t just offer to help him. They had to make sure everyone knew about it. Tossers.

Yep.

They are not helping him for the sake of helping.

They are helping him because they can see he’s going to end up dead or in prison in the next little while (whether they '“help” him or not) And when it happens, then the AFL can deny culpability.

Optics. That’s all it is.

Jobe should offer him $500 for his Brownlow

Jobe should offer him $500 for his Brownlow

After someone jokingly commented that Jobe should’ve returned Cooneys Brownlow, this was the obvious next best option.

In their defence they (AFL Players Association, AFL and West Coast) have been trying to assist Cousins for years. It was revealed (again) that they had offered to help because twitter jerkoffs were giving them heaps for doing 'nothing'. Cousins has to accept the help first.
Sadly, Ben is a danger to himself and to others, while under the influence of anything he uses. Perhaps; its time to commit him. Instead of everyone sitting around waiting for him to slowly kill himself.

The truth is, if anyone else broke the law as often as Ben has, they would be in jail. Sadly for his partner, children, family and friends, his life has turned out to be a never-ending story of abuse and misery.

What’s the process of commitment though? Is it just a mass intervention or does he have to put his hand up for it. I don’t know if you can generally force anyone against their will to do something unless it’s prison or similar incaceration.
But who’d know. It’s just sad to watch and will be sadder when I just stop giving a ■■■■. If that makes any sense.