Ben Cousins Goes Ape (again)

What's the turnaround time on getting these people rehabilitated?

It’s not that simple, mate.
There is no ‘turn-around time’.

I get that, and I imagine no one is ever rid of the addiction. But could 30-60 days in the right place with the right people get him some semblance of a shot at recovery?

I don’t know, but would suppose he’s already done that at least once. Often people need to ‘grow’ out of it and progress might be incremental, over many years. There is no overnight fix.
What's the turnaround time on getting these people rehabilitated?

It’s not that simple, mate.
There is no ‘turn-around time’.

I get that, and I imagine no one is ever rid of the addiction. But could 30-60 days in the right place with the right people get him some semblance of a shot at recovery?

No.

There are absolutely no guarantees on anything.
All there is is hope.
Unless you are 1000% committed, and ready, you will never escape.
Particularly from a drug like crystal meth, which is what has got hold of Benny.
I know it’s all his doing, but I feel for anyone trapped by that stuff. It is an evil thing.

very few addicts would have had access to the treatements and support network that Ben has had access to.

very few addicts would have had access to the treatements and support network that Ben has had access to.

If only it was that simple.
It isn’t.

Very true, which basically demonstrates how much strife one is in when they’re an ice addict. You can’t save a lot of these people, especially as they often come to acquire ABI’s, thus basically rendering them mentally and physically disabled. I do however, have the upmost respect for those who can turn it around.

If anyone is interested “Breaking The Ice” by Matt Noffs is a very easy read on the issue of the current ice situation in Australia. It’s worth spending a few hours to dispell some of the easy assumptions around drug use and it’s treatment.

fkn scary stuff. its rife round Tassie now too. really opened my naïve little eyes.

fkn scary stuff. its rife round Tassie now too. really opened my naïve little eyes.

Rife everywhere, mate. Fuking destroying lives everywhere, it is. Pushed by stand-over cnuts who deserve to be strung up by the balls and flayed alive, and I’d happily volunteer to do the flaying.

Is it Echuca or one of those towns on the Murray that’s really bad?
Can remember my cousin telling me a mate of his (copper) went up there as part of a task force to try and intercept all the guys running drugs on jet skis along the river

Is it Echuca or one of those towns on the Murray that's really bad? Can remember my cousin telling me a mate of his (copper) went up there as part of a task force to try and intercept all the guys running drugs on jet skis along the river
Swan Hill and Mildura probably.

I heard a girl on the radio last week say how she’d been on it for 5 years, and it was that long before she realised she had to break the habit. She said she was in a rehab centre for 15 months, and she’s been clean for a year.

But you’ve got to want to break, and be capable of breaking, the habit.

He’d have access to the best rehab facilities too.

I heard a girl on the radio last week say how she'd been on it for 5 years, and it was that long before she realised she had to break the habit. She said she was in a rehab centre for 15 months, and she's been clean for a year.

And you’d have to dump your shardie mates.

I heard a girl on the radio last week say how she'd been on it for 5 years, and it was that long before she realised she had to break the habit. She said she was in a rehab centre for 15 months, and she's been clean for a year.

And you’d have to dump your shardie mates.

Goes without saying. One of them is probably his dealer, and probably been on the gravy train for years.

Guy I knew slightly had a fatal OD on it last year. Scary thing isn’t that it’s a whole lot of junkies using the stuff, it’s the number of shiftworkers, people doing monotonous manual labour, etc, who just use it to get through the work day, the same way some people drink coffee. This bloke was like that. Everyone at his work used it routinely, and so he started to as well.

Check out the book Methland, it’s about the states and tied in with a lot of the economic stuff happening over there, but it’s a bit of an eye-opener.

So much of it around, its all through the Western NSW towns…

Wellington is called Antarctica, full of ice.

It’s a pretty sad state of affairs for those that it gets a hold of.

Is there a way to stop it being created/produced?

Yes.
Kill everybody.

Speed has been around for a long time. It would seem that it's only become easier to produce, not harder ('war on drugs' fail), given the apparent availability and purity of so-called 'ice'. Of course the result of ample supply is that it's both cheap and potent, leading to lots more people having way too much of a bad thing, so the issue is much more visible and problematic.

My other half works in counselling. Besides having her work cut out with a home patient, she has told a couple of horror stories. One was about a kid who’d been neglected, bashed and beaten for most of his childhood and got targeted by these bikie cnts who took him in and groomed him into becoming a meth cook. They’d prop him up on it for days on end to mix batch after batch untill he just dropped from exhaustion- they’d put him to bed and naturally when he woke up he was in withdrawal and the only way to get another fix was to get back in the lab. In the end he just dropped, they couldn’t revive him so they dumped him in A&E. He made a full recovery, but is definitely in the minority.
Whoever the fk thinks this an ok thing to do needs their balls lowered into an acid bath.

My other half works in counselling. Besides having her work cut out with a home patient, she has told a couple of horror stories. One was about a kid who'd been neglected, bashed and beaten for most of his childhood and got targeted by these bikie cnts who took him in and groomed him into becoming a meth cook. They'd prop him up on it for days on end to mix batch after batch untill he just dropped from exhaustion- they'd put him to bed and naturally when he woke up he was in withdrawal and the only way to get another fix was to get back in the lab. In the end he just dropped, they couldn't revive him so they dumped him in A&E. He made a full recovery, but is definitely in the minority. Whoever the fk thinks this an ok thing to do needs their balls lowered into an acid bath.

Thats one of the worst stories i have ever heard

Thats fkd on so many levels