Ben Rutten - Back to the grindstone (Part 1)

Just gonna put it out there but i actually think bar about 3 rounds this year the team defence has been shithouse. So not talking the back 6 but the actual team defence between the arcs. Even as early as the brisbane win, teams have been able to move the ball down the entire field with a chain of marks and minimal pressure. This is something that shouldn’t make a difference depending on the personnel in the team and is the main reason we won’t go anywhere in the finals.

2 Likes

We don’t press up, it’s a simple as that. However I don’t think that sits on Rutten.

2 Likes

I agree that we didn’t press up.
That was a huge issue the last 2 weeks.

But it does sit with Rutten, as team defence is his job.

2 Likes

Turnovers don’t help. The amount of handball turnovers has been shocking, and you can see when he have number committed forward of the ball, when the intercept happens you’re always at sixes and sevens trying to get back.

1 Like

I’d argue there is push back on the way Rutten prefers us to play.
It’s clear there is a huge hole in how we’re positioned. We’re always needing another kick in our transition from defensive 50 because our defence and forward is so separated because we are so defensive and our defenders are not attacking and pushing up. For me this is a Harding incentive, being so strong on rebound turnover footy and wanting space and switching to create it. Harding has likened to this strategy before he came to Essendon, it’s his one wood of tactical strategy. A team hasn’t won a premiership for quite some time doing this and a good decision for us to move him on.

Not pressing up and also never having anyone inside our forward 50 when we fast break is a cool combination.

Defensive master class in 2019. But according to some will be head coach next year.

3 Likes

I fail to see the defensive masterclass he brought

We had a % of 95.

2 Likes

I think that’s the point.

1 Like

Absence of Sarcastica Font

1 Like

Got no idea if he can coach. We’re probably gonna find out

Was slightly concerning to see Liam Ryan FREE IN THEIR FORWARD 50 at a centre bounce in the second quarter.
As in they had 6 forwards and we had 5 defenders… then Francis manned him up for 5-10 mins, which is just a ridiculous matchup.

I don’t like the idea of an internal appointment considering our long standing internal fuckery and mediocrity.

But if he is going to be coach in 2020, then he is going to need A LOT of support via a bevy of new assistants.

1 Like

Its a hard one cos in patches the team defence held up well.

The problem is when you cant get the fuckiing ball past the half way mark foe large chunks of games, there really is only so much it can stop.

I said after the xollingwood game that 4 gols in 3 qtrs was flattering and we were a mckernan stinker away feom being belted.
2 weeks later he has one of his stinkers and the ball barely gets past the center again.

2 Likes

Agree with people’s sentiments

Turnovers are what is causing us to be scored against and not score ourselves

The ball trampoling out of our fwd half gives no time for the ground to be setup properly

Shooting ourselves in foot on scoring and on being scored against because the muppet players can’t hit targets / at least kick to advantage

2 Likes

Did you tell the umps?

Skeeta.

He’s done his time.

2 Likes

Oh FK, we tried the “pull a forward to the bench” 6-6-5 tactic, but couldn’t work out which way we were kicking.

I actually have no idea where our other guy was. Probably off the field

That plus forwards still push up way too far and their opponents dont follow, that plus having small players as the furtherest player deep.

So many players just get caught in no mans land cos of said turnovers, cos they are having to cover more distance at a highet speed, to try and get to the contest in the first place , that a turn over has them so far out of posotion that its not funny.