Ben Rutten - Back to the grindstone (Part 2)

Richmond and Melbourne and hawthorn and Geelong and Sydney and dogs. All are zone users.

Do you even watch footy?

1 Like

Coaches Iā€™ve noticed succeed are passionate, sometimes emotional and certainly not afraid to pull the trigger on anyone who brings a rotten attitude. Rutten smiles through his losses pats his losing side on the back and Iā€™m now hearing Worsfold in his pressers on ā€œwhere we want beā€. Yuck, just get there already. Clarkson at least had some mongrel about him which won him premierships because he wasnā€™t afraid to upset a few people. Sheedy and a number of others were like that too. To me Truck appears too soft and gets no respect.

7 Likes

Rutten feels our pain.

All is ok now

3 Likes

Iā€™ll say this again. Who would have thought appointing a coach without a proper process and or a market scan for best available would not yield a successful result.

You donā€™t say!

11 Likes

The cattle is bad but there is no way the way alot of the players out their yestetday are as bad as what theyre showing atm, that is on him and the coaches and that DROSS of a game plan that has mind ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  them.

8 Likes

You donā€™t know that didnā€™t happen

IIRC either X or Richardson actually said they had done so, but decided on that which already had at the club. Obv Richardson was very pro Rutten however & X has NFI

Not like Rutten wasnā€™t highly credentialed or respected however

1 Like

We donā€™t know that it did happen either. Interviews and all. A process.

1 Like

How about if we do replace Rutten we run a proper ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  process and appoint the best candidateā€¦

1 Like

Except it canā€™t be the same people in charge now who co-ordinate it.

2 Likes

It is such a dark place we find ourselves in when I would happily take Lyon, or Buckley in a heartbeat.

Rutten was never the right choice, heā€™s a symptom of a completely incompetent club administration/football department but it is clear as day that he can not coach.
The assistants are highly credentialed but must be phoning it in on game day as Truck is displaying his lack of nous every week, except for the week he didnā€™t and we won!

2 Likes

Interesting to read back over this stuff now

Boy do we need a rejuvenation again!

From June 2020

From 2021

ā€¦.

Itā€™s all turned to ā– ā– ā– ā–  in 2022

Come on Speedy, itā€™s obvious it didnā€™t happen. We announced Woosha was departing and Rutten taking over at the same time. We went through no process.

Further a Rutten wasnt well credentialed, I think he started coaching in 2015 and came to us for the 2019 season. 5 years as a coach, predominantly as a defensive coach does not make you well credentialed. Just becuase he was at Richmond for premierships doesnā€™t make him credentialed. He was a very young and inexperienced coach. Heā€™s only 38 now, he was very young when we appointed him.

Itā€™s not obvious. But you couldnā€™t put it past us not to follow a proper process.

Richardson was a key component in the club's move to secure Ben Rutten from the Tigers in 2018 and was part of the selection process that appointed him senior coach for 2021.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/523246/richardson/amp

This season feels so so similar to 2020.

Players clueless out on the field.

Zero defensive integrity.

Rutten had Worsfold to bear the brunt of the dissatisfaction coming at the team but not this time. Heā€™s going to have to cop it straight up.

My expectation is that thereā€™ll be multiple players putting there hand up to be traded at the end of the season, pretty much exactly like 2020.

We canā€™t keep losing good players (we donā€™t have that many to start with) solely due to them not buying into a game plan that is so far away from utilising their natural talents.

For reals!? My god I had him mid to late 40s but now that I think about it that makes no sense.

Wow

Essendon team are my team, the Club is not my club anymore. Crap decisions and long winded promises.

3 Likes

12 more disposals, yet lost the inside 50 count by 27. twentyā€¦farkinā€¦seven

lol. what a gameplan

4 Likes

Maybe- thereā€™s 24 currently out of contract by end of 2022.
Canā€™t afford to not sign any of Reid, Martin Cutler etc.

I believe Sheeds was 34 when we first appointed him. Clarkson was 37. Hardwick around 38.

1 Like

Thereā€™s been a big trend industry wide to appoint older coaches, Fagan, Noble, Rattan and Voss. Especially when some of the more recent young coaches like Teague and Shaw failed spectacularly.