Ben Rutten - Back to the grindstone (Part 2)

Then why is our one crap then?

Like Worsfold?

Becuase we are playing kids, the top 4 sides are playing midfields stacked with players with 100 and 200 games experience as well as significant time as a group playing together.

Do you expect Martin on a wing will be as effective playing a zone as Brayshaw is for Melbourne

1 Like

I immediately think of the Carlton/Malthouse relationship when imagining Clarkson at Essendon.

Yeah we went for someone with experience due to the saga. Correct decision imo. The intent anyway.

We’re still looking for the silver bullet.

Change needs to start with the board…. Then we go from there.

1 Like

That’s foolish to use one example as the basis. Two totally different coaches at two completely different stages of their life and career.

Clarkson would rip this club a new ■■■■■■■ and we would have to cop it and like it

No

What about Hawks they use a zone and they don’t seem to have an issue

Someone else posted a few articles from when he was appointed given the gig at Essendon and appointed to head coach.

His defensive philosophy focusses around simplicity, slowing the opposition down. We are seeing none of that.

So is it poor plan i.e. it isn’t simple and can’t slow anybody down, poor coaching of said plan, or poor execution of the plan?

1 Like

I’d argue it’s more foolish, claiming that the existing coach needs to go, in his second year at the helm.

He’s not doing great this season, but there are factors to consider first.

1 Like

bang on about Shiel. the whole article is good though

“There comes a time where you’ve got to give (Shiel) some tough love,” King said on First Crack.

“That’s washing and watering down the whole process (by playing him as the sub).

“Do they really hold people accountable? No they don’t because he plays today.”

King said Rutten’s reasons for giving Shiel a reprieve was a “whole lot of nonsense”.

Essendon Bombers press conference | 09:39

“I hear what Ben says and he’s got a different view than us and that’s fine, but when your team’s going the way they are and you make a decision to change the course of your season (dropping Shiel) and then reverse that… this is what happens,” King said.

3 Likes

This is why I’ll defend Rutten to some extent…

From HUN / John Ralph today:

“Rival midfields know they can bash up Essendon’s smallish on-ball brigade, dominate stoppages and stifle any attacking flow Ben Rutten’s mob hopes to generate.”

The whole modern game is about stoppages and turnovers… he is pushing sh’t uphill no matter what strategy he uses. He knows it, the players know it - no wonder they drop their head knowing they’re fighting a losing battle with this list.

This is on Dodoro and plenty of us have been saying this for how farking long now?

16 Likes

Their best players are their senior leaders. They’ve always delivered while the rest of the team catches up to the game plan.

Well we ethier have too many players with low footy iqs or ruttens zone game plan is too complicated

1 Like

I honestly think it’s system the players are being told to play.

Whatever it is, it’s not working defensively; as has been the case since 2018.

3 Likes

Why not start simple like 1v1?

1 Like

So we can fall into finals and get bundled out for the umpteenth time since 2004?

Forgive me, but I’m not taking any notice of match-up and gameplan strategy from the AFL’s gossip columnist.
Any more than I would have from Scotty Palmer.

1 Like

Hawks haven’t played finals in awhile.

Because our players have less discipline to do that than they do a zone. It would also get exposed so badly by the other clubs that our losing margins will expand rapidly. 1v1 is only used for short periods by clubs now because it doesn’t work full time.