Ben Rutten - Back to the grindstone (Part 2)

Sack him already!!!

1 Like

This is alarming.

Very good decision, we need more people to do the same.

1 Like

Wonder if he gets a contract extension if next year is another (likely) failure, they probably will anyway as it would be an admittance they made the wrong decision and you know our club, no accountability whatsoever

2 Likes

Not only that, but he was out coached and out classed by a rubbish caretaker coach.

A few others have hit the nail on the head. He lacks creativity. He doesn’t take risks. It’s the same old players, making the same old mistakes

The season has been finished for a long time, why haven’t guys like Voss,Menzies,mass been getting more games?

2 Likes

EFC are predictable

They’ll stick with Rutten just cause “we’re a young developing side!”

start 2023 2-8

Clarkson gone

2 Likes

I want Rutten gone but he’s getting absolutely nothing from our leaders on the field.
Is there a nicer more passive leadership group than Hep, Pidge and Merret in the Afl right now, they haven’t got a nasty bone amongst them and I think it’s a real issue when the going gets tough on field.

15 Likes

True, but then it’s on him to either replace them as leaders, or get them to play in an aggressive way

1 Like

along with a new coach, we need to nab a gun player in the draft, someone uncontracted, and a fairly big name, a name that would get people signing up new memberships to the club. Every club, well most of the top 8 anyway, has at least 1 or 2 superstars, essendon football club, since the retirement of Hirdy, hasn’t had the 1 or 2 champions and we never get a “big fish” player who wants to come to the club.

1 Like

Sitting there watching today reminded me of round 1 2019 when i flew up to Sydney with full enthusiasm to watch our mighty bombers. Excited by the fact we would display a new defensive game plan introduced from highly sort after Richmond assistant ben rutten and to see our new star signing dylan shiel. I even took the mrs with me and she doesn’t follow footy but couldn’t understand why we were so ■■■■. This year i have had two flashbacks of that match, round 1 getting absolutely ■■■■■■■ torched by Geelong and then again today getting beaten up by the bigger bodies of gws and merrett and mcgrath being absolutely pathetic.

It’s actually staggering we have the best coach of the modern era sitting around wanting to coach us and we stick with a guy that hasn’t implemented an effective zone defence in 4 seasons at the club. Even if Clarkson doesn’t work, at least we have tried with the best in the business. Rutten hadn’t ever even coached his own team before and hasn’t implemented one thing he promised to despite being at the club for 4 years now.

15 Likes

Hardwick would love to coach Essendon
Know this as fact do you or just another assumption

What about the way he eats and blinks
Does he do them the way a coach should

1 Like

spike put in a plan to shut down redman and hind and he literally did nothing about it

i cant even recall a game where rutten has made a move game day that has influenced the game. at least we used to throw hooker forward at times. now we do nothing. it’s play your assigned role at all costs

choosing to not make positional changes when things aren’t going your way is the height of arrogance

9 Likes

No…you do what most clubs do which is leave the senior assistant in place whilst the club does it’s due diligence with a view to putting a head coach in place before pre-season. If we’re 2-8 at the bye then 2023 will be another year of no finals so what are you worried about?

Try reading the post again

1 Like

I’m still trying to work out why he waited 3 quarters to do something about merretts tag and then good lord sent him back…

There’s more life in the nearby parramatta river then in this bloke and that’s saying something !

6 Likes

And that was such a easy (lazy) move. It’s safe and not stretching the brain to send a big bloke forward.

The real test for showing your footy smarts is addressing issues/throwing match ups around the ground and changing the ball movement strategy. Before and during the match.

Caldwell doing tagging is the only example I can think of where we’ve shown some pre-game strategy. I can’ think of other occasions where we’ve gone “wow, A is playing playing B. That’s interesting.” Or “we’re starting C playing forward. Yep that’s got potential and throw the opposition off.”

I’m sure they sit down and plan the game based on the opposition’s strengths and weaknesses, but it really doesn’t feel that way.

Hey Ben, just wondering if you need a lift to the airport so you can fark off back to Adelaide?

4 Likes

New day. Still feel the same.

Has he gone yet!???

Are we better or worse after 2.5 (coaching with Woosha) years of Rutten? If no then go!

1 Like