Ben Rutten - Back to the grindstone (Part 2)

To which Rutten will be coach in 2023

the performance was an outlierā€¦fark me

just say it wasnt acceptable the players were ordinary maybe a few home truths at the press conference make a stand

not the we will talk to the senior leaders and over the last 10 weeks mirageā€¦last time i checked the season was longer then 10 weeks

hes lost me completelyā€¦

2 Likes

Doing due diligence should NEVER be used when discussing any past, present or future courses of action by Essendon.

1 Like

We were rabble yesterday. Anyone who canā€™t see that is deluded.

One thing I am pondering from yesterday is the dropping of the big Flipper, and replacement with Stuz seems to have upset our forward line.

Our worst games are where we have 2MP marking at HBF/wing with no one to kick to down field. We just lost all forward movement and structure for the whole game. Just like the first 10 rounds, or more.

Why is this?

Even the Kayo commentary team pointed this out.

The Auskick style of team defence where all players cluster around the ball like a beehive doesnā€™t seem to work for us. We need something a bit more sophisticated.

2 Likes

Not sure itā€™s been said beforeā€¦

Clarko
WSPHU

Ben to be assistant coach.

Yep

2Mp should never been in the ruck let alone at full back like he was yesterday.

By ruttens own admission draper isnt ready to ruck 100% of the time

PHillips give draper a chance to play forward taking a defender off 2MP when resting

as you said 2Mp should rarely be used for the dump kick down the line he should be one out in our 50

4 Likes

From his km numbers we know 2MP does a lot of running. Be useful to know how often he isnā€™t in the forward 50 when we are heading there.

As outstanding as 2MP is as our main forward I would like to see us have and use set plays b, c, d where we donā€™t use him, even when he is there. We should have 2MP and even another tall lead the main backmen to a spot away from where we kick it to another player. Itā€™s all too predictable when we take that set kick into the forward 50.

3 Likes

I said nothing of the ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  sort :grin:

Nah
Iā€™ll stick to my sarcastic responses :+1:

So top of the chain?
Or X?

yepā€¦thats why having draper or flip resting is a better optionā€¦

if 2Mp marks anywhere near the 50 its a shot while drape/flip keeps his opponent occupied elsewhere and the 2nd tall works up the ground .

that way you have a presence the length of the ground

1 Like

Seems Rutten will be coach again in 2023. If he is to remain coach for the whole season, heā€™ll need to get much better results than he has this season. (I realise that weā€™re talking Essendon here, so what applies at a normal club probably doesnā€™t apply here!)

We can rant and rave all we want but truck will be coach next year itā€™s the Essendon way.

4 Likes

Facts are that Hind had his head smashed into the ground and of course no free kick. He probably wasnā€™t feeling very together. So, whatever was said between them on the bench perhaps should have been left until after the game was over.

1 Like

Coaching, is that what you call it? The coach needs a coach.

1 Like

2m Peter at one point, was playing up in defence. What the hell was he doing there? The only real goal kicker we have and he is playing at the other end of the ground. That makes sense!

1 Like

I donā€™t buy into this progress is not linear stuff. Itā€™s an excuse. Sure progress might stall but we have gone backwards this year.

When you make finals one year a pass mark the next year is finals.

We had some injuries in the first half of the year but that simply does not excuse the ineptitude of the performances and choking weā€™ve seen in numerous games Geelong, lions, Freo, blues, pies twice, West coast, gws. Thatā€™s half a season in which The performances were simply unacceptable.

Rutten seems a nice guy, he might even be a good one on one coach and a good type to have in your coaching mix. But it is self evident that he is not a brilliant coach. He has failed spectacularly to achieve his own publicly stated goals - team defence, blue collar attitude - over 4 years.

The board moved on Knights 3/4s of the way through a season which was nowhere near as bad as this one because they felt they had a better option available and a young promising list in place.

5 Likes

I think the board moved on Knights because the crowds dropped away dramatically and they were worried about their bottom line. Itā€™s also the reason why they appointed Hird.

3 Likes

It pays being mates with people in places who make THE DECISIONS.

You sure?