Ben Rutten - Back to the grindstone (Part 2)

Which history has proven was wrong

I’ve got no doubt bringing in a Clarkson type would get us a touch more consistency and 2-3-4 more wins, but it’s not going to fix the actual issues.
List isn’t good enough.

2 Likes

even worse, the other forward in Stewart was also playing a hell of lot down back and defensively. It isn’t his strength and it left Jones on his own and also being pulled too far up the ground where he is currently useless.

How many times di we kick into the 50 and it was our smallest players left there to win the ball as we had no talls?

2 Likes

Ok maybe I did

1 Like

Nathan Buckley has stated he is NOT interested in coaching again.

Don’t disagree. Just highlighting that the case against Knights is very similar to the present situation

Good. Finally he realises he’s ■■■■

stewart seems to be one of the favs.
played above and beyond thatcher last year, and now look at how the kid is playing when he’s not dropped every second week cos we need stuzza to take the “monster forwards” to which he never could.

comes back from injury and they stick him up forward cos they finally get some sense and realise he’s not the answer down there.
kickings some goals in the vfl, mixed in with a few weeks off, and then phillips needs a rest for whatever reason, big stuzza comes in and plays vaguley well against north.
phillips is then ready again this week, yet stewart keeps his spot ahead of phillips.

I just don’t understand what they see in him. phillips has had just as decent a form in the actual AFL, so why isn’t he straight back in after the north game, at the expense of stewart ? If it was a baldwin or voss who played like that against north you know they’d sure as ■■■■ be straight back out of the side.

so you have a “blueprint” that’s been relatively successful in the second half of the year, and you move away from it, to accomodate ■■■■■■■ stewart as a 3rd forward option… WHY ?

2 Likes

To be honest, I have enjoyed watching the progress of the VFL team this year. I can’t wait till we see the AFLW team in action.

I may be watching a lot less AFL next year, unless they can get it together.

A little bit, but not really.

IMO

But our response may be just as silly and pointless.

Because none of our rucks have demonstrated they can be consistently dangerous as forwards, though i am encouraged by some of Draper’s recent games.

Now, i like Phillips, and have no problem with him playing, and even playing over Bryan.
Do you know how many marks he took against the Pies ?..

1, along with his 5 disp.
Sure, it was a good mark and he kicked the goal, but its not enough.
I appreciate what he does in assisting Draper as that sacrificial ruckman that tires out the opposition ruck.
Its not enough though, and its not a 1 off game.

We are doing what we should in these late season games and finding out what forward structure we might employ in 2023.
Stewart is 1 more option that should be explored.
We’ve tried Francis, 2 rucks with different combinations, Baldwin has had a clump of games.

We are doing exactly what we should given where we are as a club (still building), and the resources currently at hand.

Who knows on 2023.
Maybe Voss forces himself into the side, or Reid shows promise as a forward in the twos.

Your prejudice against Stewart is baffling.
Everyone knows Phillips cant play more than about a month of footy.
Yet, you seem surprised when he is “managed”…cmon.

Anyway, im clearly wasting my time because you will steadfastly defend an earlier established position.

Edit…NOT accomodate Stewart as 3 tall.
Its, play Stewart as the 2nd tall target in F50 as opposed to a resting ruckman.

3 Likes

How do you go from playing at a packed MCG and beating up on a top 2 side til the last 10 mins to an empty Marvel Stadium expecting to lose to a bottom 6 interstate side 3 week later??

BRASHER
XAVIER
DODORO
RUTTEN
HEPPELL

17 Likes

All 5 need to be removed from the club IMMEDIATELY.

7 Likes

FARKEN NOW!!!

8 Likes

Wow, just looking at that, it’s a pretty ■■■■ list. How does a club of our size have a list of names like that leading the club.

your point falls down here.
while i agree with the premise, why hasn’t it been done more ?
and why til 4 games left in the season is stewart the only “trial” that they go with ?

if phillips games haven’t been worthy of staying in the side why wasn’t bryan trialled again ?
why wasn’t baldwin trialled again ? (his last game was rd 8 prior to jones return)
why hasn’t voss been tried ?

Only one player has been"trialled" as the 3rd tall option up forward since Jones return, and guess who it is, stewart.

Again that’s where you POV falls over, cos they’ve only tried ONE way and it’s the same old failed way as before.

So what is it about stewart that warrants YET ANOTHER go to try and force find him a spot ?
his 10 disposals ? his 1 goal ? his handball on the goal line to give the opposition a free goal ?

what is it that this stellar speciman of a footballer offers that you didn’t already know before yesterday ?

but yeah flips 5 disposals aren’t worth of staying in the side when it frees up draper, so lets keep stewart so he continue to con a living out of pretending to be a footballer because idiiots fall for it.

I can’t believe people at the club think it’s ok for us to go backwards after making finals last year and that’s a pass mark.

The expectation should have been an improvement on last year. Win a final.

This is exactly our issue. We gloss over this year as no huge issues. A year of learning.

PS how’s the review going? Where are the results.

3 Likes

They are playing and rewarding VFL form.
Earlier in season, Stewart was injured and Baldwin was hitting the scoreboard in the 2’s, so he got opportunities in the seniors.

Stewart has performed well every time he has come back into the VFL side.
You cant have a problem with his inclusion as a forward based on rewarding VFL performances, even over Baldwin who has recently come back from his own injury.

Now, Bryan is an interesting one.
Playing well as a ruckman, but is it the right move to bring him into the seniors to play some ruck, some forward ???
Ive hardly seen him kick a goal at any level.
Draper and Bryan have to work very hard at improving their forward craft if we have any hopes of that combo working.
We cannot tie up 1 bench position to a ruckman.

2 Likes

$hit list and Rutten gets blamed. At 39 he’s been hardly perfect but the poor games are down to having the second youngest list, a lack of coaching experience, and a dearth of quality experienced players who stand up. Merrett is the only 150 game player on our list who is consistent. You don’t beat good teams with our list.

Rutten will magically come good when Hobbs, Perkins, Jones et al have played 50 games.The mouth frothers here should find another hobby in the meantime.

5 Likes

Clarko was there. We could have had him.

We farked up.

Its only a mistake.
LAV missed a relatively simple short pass by 5-10 metres which resulted in a goal to Whitfield.
We make some bad errors.

Stewart kicked 3 the previous week and took 7 marks, so he’s ave 2 since coming back.
Not too bad.

Lets see how he goes the next 2 games.
Ill be supporting him, like i do all our players…will you ?

Question im asking is, do you want the team to do well, or do you want to be right ?

Serious question…

1 Like